Talk

Advanced search

To not bother doing anything for my 30th?

(18 Posts)
boredandrestless Sat 22-Sep-12 20:51:28

My 30th is approaching and people have asked what I'm doing, said I should do something, etc etc. But I'm pretty sure I don't want to!

I'm a bit of an introvert, don't care that much for going out on the lash to a loud pub/ club full of drunkards. I don't have a huge gang of friends - best friend is pregnant, sister is currently glued to a breastfeeding newborn smile. My mum and nana have also asked what I'm doing/ if I want to go for a meal.

Is it sad that I will probably be quite happy getting a takeaway and watching Doctor Who with DS? I don't like birthday fuss in general really and this year doesn't feel any different.

JeezyOrangePips Sat 22-Sep-12 20:55:53

Nope, not sad at all. Do what makes you happy!

I did nothing for my 40th. I'm fairly sure I didn't do anything for my 30th either. I can't remember for sure!

A takeaway and dr who sounds like a really good night in!

CommunistMoon Sat 22-Sep-12 20:56:53

It's not sad. It's your birthday, do what you want to do! I spent my 30th with DH in Eastbourne (pre-DS) and we had ice-cream at Favoloso - each to their own.

boredandrestless Sat 22-Sep-12 21:00:35

Thanks for replies smile

Feel a bit less of an oddity now!

Noqontrol Sat 22-Sep-12 21:01:38

Do what you want. For my 40th we stayed in, drank champagne and got a takeaway. It was fab. Ds was conceived that night too grin

elliejjtiny Sat 22-Sep-12 21:02:57

YANBU. For my 30th birthday we went to the park, had soft fizzy drinks in the garden and then went to the all you can eat chinese. Was perfect apart from ds1 and ds3 coming down with a tummy bug at the end. You do what you want on your birthday.

MerylStrop Sat 22-Sep-12 21:06:10

Oh I agree, a big shindig for a landmark birthday is all a Bit Much.

My mate just invited me to his fortieth. He's actually turning 46 and only now feels ready to cope with it.

DinosaursOnASpaceship Sat 22-Sep-12 21:09:23

I will be 38 weeks pregnant for my 30th.

I sound a lot like you, doctor who and a take away would be ideal for me. I'm not huge into going out and have no one to go out with really. I would much rather someone watched the dc for me so I could read a book, have a cup of tea and eat chocolate in peace.

NathanDetroit Sat 22-Sep-12 21:11:38

I didn't do much for mine. I hate organising drinks out and then two hours before everyone says they can't come and you're left with two mates and your OH feeling awkward and wanting to go home. My OH took me to Rome for the weekend and I went to the ballet with my mum. Happy days. I can't be bothered with it!

Whitamakafullo Sat 22-Sep-12 21:14:59

I'm not doing anything for mine. It's not until January, but I know for sure I'll be at college that day, and will just have a quiet night in. DH asked if I wanted a party, but I couldn't think of anything worse to be honest!

Purple2012 Sat 22-Sep-12 21:15:56

Do what you want. I hate fuss. It's my 40th and husbands 50th next year within a few days, we know our friends would want us to have a big party so we are going on holiday for 2 weeks instead.

AGilchrist Sat 22-Sep-12 21:16:35

I went out for lunch on my 30th with dh and then went and picked the kids up from school. That was it.
Dad and dh had been given strict instructions that under ni circumstances was there to be a party or surprise gathering of any kind.
I had a good day, quiet and good.

boredandrestless Sat 22-Sep-12 21:45:31

I'm pleasantly surprised to see all these replies agreeing with me! shock smile

Dinosaursonapaceship (love the name) - it's taken a few years but my ds is now trained to let me drink tea and eat chocolate in peace on pain of death.

claretandamberforever Sat 22-Sep-12 21:49:39

I don't understand where this penchant for people to celebrate their 30th birthday has come from. It's only a recent thing surely? 30 is hardly a milestone

bessie26 Sat 22-Sep-12 21:55:18

YANBU - it's your birthday, do what you want!

GnomeDePlume Sat 22-Sep-12 21:56:54

I'm another who did nothing special for 30th. No idea what I did TBH. We both made a bit mor of 40ths though not particularly on the day.

I think that some people make a big show of 30th when they dont have other things to show that they are grown up.

suebfg Sat 22-Sep-12 21:57:55

Have a party - it only goes downhill from there ...

MammaTJisWearingGold Sat 22-Sep-12 22:04:13

I am quite a social person but your ideal 30th sounds like my ideal 30th!! Enjoy and many happy returns!! xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now