Talk

Advanced search

can anyone help me

(41 Posts)
ditsydoll Sat 22-Sep-12 18:10:16

I am about 4-5 weeks pregnant and iv just got a shock off the oven. Just a small shock off the gas ignition that lasted a second or two and i only felt it in my finger, no burn or anything.

Does anyone know if this is dangerous to my baby?

Called NHS direct and they offered almost no advice and said if i started having heart palpataions or any other symptoms i should go to A&E.

anyone had a shock in early pregnancy?

sorry i got no answers in pregnancy and just needed some help

neighbourhoodwitch Sat 22-Sep-12 18:12:25

I am not an expert, but I honestly think this is fine x

Imnotaslimjim Sat 22-Sep-12 18:13:22

I'm sure it will be absolutely fine. The charge from a cooker sparker is very very low.

ditsydoll Sat 22-Sep-12 18:14:34

i hope so sad

Mydogsleepsonthebed Sat 22-Sep-12 18:15:14

I got a shock in my <uses MN approved word> fanjo from an electric fence which I thought was turned off when I was about 20 weeks pregnant with DD2. Hurt like a fucking bugger. But she was fine. I'm sure a cooker spark is much lower current.

neighbourhoodwitch Sat 22-Sep-12 18:16:02

Yes, and babies are very well protected/cushioned. If you are really worried though, ask your midwife? x

Tweasels Sat 22-Sep-12 18:17:54

I did. An old standard lamp got me when I plugged it in. We were fine. Was about 8 weeks pg.

I know you'll be worried but there is nothing any medical practitioner can do so early on and it doesn't sound like the shock was too bad. Early pregnancy is a worrying enough time so try not to worry too much about this if you can.

ditsydoll Sat 22-Sep-12 18:19:43

i havent had a mw appointment yet. i called our local hospital and they advised me to come down to A&E to get myself checked out but could offer no advice on the baby as they just could not say. I have been googling and upsetting myself. Apparently there is a risk of misscarriage with any kind of electric shock sad

Leena49 Sat 22-Sep-12 18:20:13

Oh dear sorry had to have little titter at this. Bless you love.

scrablet Sat 22-Sep-12 18:21:24

oh ditsy, I'm sure it will be fine. When I was PG I had a HORRIBLE flea/midge/insect bite on my leg, just before my wedding. I used one of those insect zappy things which send a mild electric shock into the bite, loads to kill the itch until I suddenly panicked and thought 'but the baby!'
I went to the DR and explained and she said dont worry but it was too early to check heart beat etc.
My PFB is fine.
If you are worried tho go to GP when you can, with luck you have one like me (she had 5 children of her own, so knew every worry I went in with) and you will feel reassured.
In the meantime, try not to worry.

MummysHappyPills Sat 22-Sep-12 18:21:38

That's nice Leena.

Tweasels Sat 22-Sep-12 18:21:53

mydogs - fanjo shock, ah, bless you and your electric fanny. That's made my day grin

scrablet Sat 22-Sep-12 18:23:37

PS, DO NOT GOOGLE...smile

Tweasels Sat 22-Sep-12 18:24:49

Ditsydoll.

STOP GOOGLING.

If you look hard enough on the Internet you can find all sorts of horrid things. Honestly, you will be fine.

Mydogsleepsonthebed Sat 22-Sep-12 18:25:15

Tweasels - grin it fucking hurt. I was going to feed some animals - I thought the fencer was off and went to step over. I am short and kind of missed the step over, shocked myself right in the fanjo, and jumped with the shock, caught my foot in the fencer and fell slap bang in the shit mud. Not one of my more edifying moments I have to say grin

ditsydoll Sat 22-Sep-12 18:25:19

thanks for your advice. and a titter at what exactly leena?

germyrabbit Sat 22-Sep-12 18:27:25

blimey i am always getting shocks from our cooker as the clicky thing wouldn't stop clicking in the end i got an electrician to fix it

it's a weird sensation isn't it. doubt it does any damage at all though, like getting shocks in the supermarket from trolleys

FannyFifer Sat 22-Sep-12 18:29:06

Honestly you will be fine and so will baby.

A wee shock from a cooker is nothing to worry about, now if you had been struck by lightening I would prob advise A&E, but in this case, calm down, have a cuppa, it's fine. X

Tweasels Sat 22-Sep-12 18:31:54

Ditsydoll, ignore leena.

Cheer yourself up by imagining mydogs face down in the mud with sparks flying out of her fanjo.

Mydogsleepsonthebed Sat 22-Sep-12 18:33:17

grin Tweasels I'm ouching even thinking about it. And FWIW I didn't go to A&E because I couldn't imagine telling the nurses that I'd shocked myself with an electric fence in the fanjo. AND I fell down. but she was fine. My dignity on the other hand .......

Mydogsleepsonthebed Sat 22-Sep-12 18:35:08

BTW a battery electric fence is only about 10 volts. And a cooker spark would be much less.

Tweasels Sat 22-Sep-12 18:37:03

On the contrary. Your dignity is indeed intact for sharing such a wonderful story to help out a mumsnetter in need.

There is little point in having an experience like that if it's not to entertain strangers up and down the land.

I salute you!

ditsydoll Sat 22-Sep-12 18:54:05

Thanks everyone, and thanks for sharing the story mydogs it has made me feel a little better. Sounds awful lol. I just panic about things. X

Mydogsleepsonthebed Sat 22-Sep-12 18:55:16

Is this your first baby?

LRDtheFeministDragon Sat 22-Sep-12 18:57:21

I think NHS direct were right idiots to scare you like that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now