Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To not want to move?

(7 Posts)
PrincessTeacake Sat 22-Sep-12 16:59:46

My mother and I were talking yesterday about my financial situation and brought up the idea of me moving back to the family home. At present i live in Dublin and the house is about 70 miles from there.

Lately i've been barely scraping by, i get the disability allowance and i work part time but since my friend moved out i've been paying my rent alone. On top of this my meds are expensive and although i'm entitled to both rent allowance and the medical card, getting them is like wading through quicksand made of red tape. Moving out of the city would mean I'd have a long commute to work, I'd see my friends less and i might lose the extra money i get from babysitting in the area. On the other hand I'd have no rent, i can convert a room in the house to a sewing studio and the air would be better for my bronchitis. I'm to go on the housing list soon too, but that will take ages and meanwhile Im getting more hobbled as time goes on. My doctor tells me I need to go swimming, in Dublin I cant afford it and in the country there's no access.

what should i do?

LadySybildeChocolate Sat 22-Sep-12 17:01:42

Find a new flatmate. smile Failing that, I'd move home.

PrincessTeacake Sat 22-Sep-12 18:17:02

I've tried that. Problem is, the house I'm in is very small, i have a cat and the area's a bit rough.

LadySybildeChocolate Sat 22-Sep-12 18:19:31

I'd go home then. A year or so, you should have saved enough to move back.

MrSunshine Sat 22-Sep-12 18:58:36

Whereabouts in Dublin are you? Corporation pools are pretty cheap, often with extra cheap rates for welfare claimants.
Put in for the medical card, its not a bad form, I've done one recently. The backlog is cleared too so it shouldn't take too long.
70 miles is a long commute to do, and don't underestimate the value of being around friends and having your own space. How well you get on with the parents?

PrincessTeacake Sat 22-Sep-12 21:25:54

I'm in Dublin 3, been trying to get the rent allowance for close to a year and my savings have been drained. It's just my Dad and brother in the house, my parents are separated and my mam's moved out. I get on great with my Dad.

BackforGood Sat 22-Sep-12 21:30:47

Surely a commute of 70 miles would cost you far more than you were saving? Or have I misunderstood?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now