Talk

Advanced search

James Bond and Pussy Galore - is this rape?

(58 Posts)
THEMardy Sat 22-Sep-12 14:58:16

clip here

Well we all know that James Bond used to be a misogynistic dinosaur, but I saw this clip recently and was shocked. She clearly rejects him and is pushing him away as he forces himself onto her.

Disclaimer: Yes, I know it's old and fiction before someone tells me to lighten up.

squeakytoy Sat 22-Sep-12 15:19:08

she also very quickly changed her mind too...

THEMardy Sat 22-Sep-12 15:22:20

Well she does start responding.

But initially he is forcing himself on her.

squeakytoy Sat 22-Sep-12 15:24:23

All in the context though...

WorraLiberty Sat 22-Sep-12 15:28:43

He forced her to kiss him...she eventually and rather quickly responded.

Is forcing a kiss on someone considered rape?

LydiasMiletus Sat 22-Sep-12 15:28:54

This was filmed during s time when slapping a woman was acceptable as it would stop her becoming hysterical.
Its not rape, as its a film and was not written as a rape scene.

MrsSteptoe Sat 22-Sep-12 15:29:19

THEMardy: at the risk of being shouted down, I'm with you. The boxed set of Sean Connery Bond films has been shelved, even though DH would quite like to watch with 9YO DS, on the grounds that I think it gives really, really bad messages about women and how to treat them. In DH's defence, he thought about it and decided on balance he agreed with me, and we've agreed we'll treat them as family films when DS is a bit older and able to enjoy them while at the same time seeing the ideology for what it is, rather than absorbing it as a template for acceptable behaviour!

BenandBolly Sat 22-Sep-12 15:30:32

It seems so dated

THEMardy Sat 22-Sep-12 15:32:41

Dh has got the boxed set too MrsS and we've been watching some with the (slightly older) DCs, who are in no doubt that he is a misogynist. But even by James bond standards, this is pretty low.

It's not just a kiss though. It's a man forcing himself on top of a woman and kissing her until she relents.

Psammead Sat 22-Sep-12 15:34:58

I think the whole grabbing her arm thing at the start rings alarm bells too, but I do think the whole scene is intended to be kind of flirty/power struggley in a sexual way.

James Bond, especially the older ones, makes me uncomfortable anyway.

THEMardy Sat 22-Sep-12 15:35:01

There's also a scene in On His Majesty's Secret Service where Diana Rigg's father knocks her out because she won't cooperate during the escape. It was so ridiculous the DC laughed in incredulity.

squeakytoy Sat 22-Sep-12 15:39:14

There are also plenty of very strong dominant women in lots of the bond films.

Birdsgottafly Sat 22-Sep-12 15:39:53

This was set in the days of, 'boys will be boys' and 'no really means yes', so looking at it now, it is right to think that it would have no place in a film, today.

'Nice girls' put up a fight, they played 'hard to get', it was a way of socially conditioning us all, to unacceptable sexual behaviour from males.

Birdsgottafly Sat 22-Sep-12 15:40:35

accept

Read the early Mills and Boon, there are lots of sexual assaults.

WorraLiberty Sat 22-Sep-12 15:40:40

It's not just a kiss though. It's a man forcing himself on top of a woman and kissing her until she relents

I haven't seen the film

Do they go on to have sex and does he actually rape her?

I'm confused here.

Birdsgottafly Sat 22-Sep-12 15:41:41

Thinking about most Harold Robbins books, it was customary for the man to sexually assault the woman, then piss on her.

squeakytoy Sat 22-Sep-12 15:44:30

Worra, they fling each other around in some sort of martial arts way.. he pins her down and kisses her, she resists for a nanosecond before getting her paws greasy on his brylcream'ed bonce...

YY to the MIlls and Boon stuff. I remember reading one (pilfered from my Nan when I was 13) where the hero did rape the heroine because he 'couldn't resist her'. But it was ok, because she loved him really. Freud would have a field day with that bit of writing.

WorraLiberty Sat 22-Sep-12 15:45:37

I saw that squeaky but I didn't see them have sex so I'm confused about the thread title? confused

becstargazeypie Sat 22-Sep-12 15:47:14

Pussy Galore is gay isn't she? Well definitely in the book and I think that's the point of all the 'lady pilots' at the end. So there's a whole other level of prejudice going on... (Shed love it really, just needs a good seeing to - bleargh...).

squeakytoy Sat 22-Sep-12 15:48:13

Well sex wont have been shown, but will have been implied.

I grew up watching Bond films from the earliest age I can remember.. the whole family did, as did all my peers. It was never viewed as anything more than a cheesey film, with a bloke who was supposedly irresistable to all women, who had lots of wierd and wonderful gadgets while escaping death..

As a teenager I had lots of fantasies about Oddjob and his bowler hat... blush.. but then I have always had rather strange tastes..

LadyBeagleEyes Sat 22-Sep-12 15:48:22

It was of it's time.
No way would they get away with that today.

Tee2072 Sat 22-Sep-12 15:49:37

A friend of mine watched every Bond movie, back to back once, and counted incidents of sexual assault.

I can't remember the exact number but every movie up until the modern ones has at least one sexual assault in it.

He was not very nice to women, Mr Bond.

THEMardy Sat 22-Sep-12 15:53:44

Ok, maybe sexual assault rather than rape.

Leftwingharpie Sat 22-Sep-12 16:01:25

It perpetuates a rape myth doesn't it - women are the gatekeepers and just need to be cajoled into it, we say no when we mean yes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now