To loathe the gradual creep of "gotten " as accepted English

(175 Posts)
BonnyDay Sat 22-Sep-12 08:46:25

In this country ?

Proudnscary Sat 22-Sep-12 08:47:21

<Cue dozens of replies with 'gotten' in them>

Nope. I hate it too.

FredFredGeorge Sat 22-Sep-12 08:48:31

YABU It's a useful disctinction to have, and returning it to British English seems fine, everyone understands it.

SomersetONeil Sat 22-Sep-12 08:49:45

YABU - it is old English and accepted in the Antipodes as well as the US, so very familiar to my ear.

RaisinDEtre Sat 22-Sep-12 08:51:04

I KNOW it's Olde English but I'm with you Bonny, me no likey

meditrina Sat 22-Sep-12 08:51:24

What distinction does it make? I thought it was interchangeable?

And it is a return to use, not new introduction here. I don't like how it sounds personally, but it's not an incomprehensible change. And not that widespread (yet).

Proudnscary Sat 22-Sep-12 08:52:48

The 'Olde English' holds no truck with me, it has not been used over here for centuries until the last couple of years, so I consider it an Americanism.

Slothlorien Sat 22-Sep-12 08:52:48

I hate it too. But Jane Austen used it which made me feel a bit better.

TheBigJessie Sat 22-Sep-12 08:53:18

The disuse of "gotten" a few hundred years ago is an example of the devolution/simplication/streamlining of our language. However, it clearly fulfils a grammatical need, so UK humans are picking it up, back from our cousins who never lost it.

I'm more bothered by people equating "disinterested" with "uninterested". To be "disinterested" is to be unpartisan in the matter. Not bored of it!

Tee2072 Sat 22-Sep-12 08:54:57

Except language evolves. And sometimes goes backwards.

Gotten is old English. And is perfectly acceptable in many English speaking parts of the world.

TheBigJessie Sat 22-Sep-12 08:56:19

Oh, and people who can't conjugate the verb "drink" correctly. They're annoying.

honeytea Sat 22-Sep-12 09:00:52

I think life must be pretty nice for you if one of the things you loath is the use of the word gotten. if you don't like it just don't use it yourself.

meditrina Sat 22-Sep-12 09:03:39

It didn't totally die out in UK; it fossilised into lesser use in some dialects and into idioms, like ill-gotten gains, and is used in the KJV and PB both as gotten and begotten.

sassytheFIRST Sat 22-Sep-12 09:05:40

I don't like it either. Faucet is an Old English term too (iirc) but we don't want that back do we?

TheBigJessie Sat 22-Sep-12 09:08:04

If we all use "gotten" when grammatically appropriate, life will be much simpler. It is presently conjugated/declined for the word "forgot" as a verb and adjective, and haphazardly in "got"

Tee2072 Sat 22-Sep-12 09:08:35

Faucet as in the thing the water comes out of? I use that all the time.

PseudoBadger Sat 22-Sep-12 09:10:13

It's horrendous! And if you dare to point out such things on MN you're made to feel like a real Queen's English stick in the mud.

TheBigJessie Sat 22-Sep-12 09:18:19

It is Queen Elizabeth the first 's English!

<Sticks tongue out>

Now, how do we feel about learned/learnt, and similar present tense, 3rd person singular endings?

I prefer the -t ending.

SomersetONeil Sat 22-Sep-12 09:20:06

What heinous crime has faucet committed that we wouldn't want it back? confused

aldiwhore Sat 22-Sep-12 09:24:30

I hate it.

I also loathe it when I hear "Can you borrow me a fiver?"

Wary and weary seem to get mixed up a lot too.

I'm not even a Grammar Hound....

AKissIsNotAContract Sat 22-Sep-12 09:26:31

None of these are as annoying to me as 'I was sat'. No you weren't, you were sitting.

TheBigJessie Sat 22-Sep-12 09:30:02

Yeah, people who mix up load and borrow need to have their own money borrowed. Repeatedly. And never paid back.

Although I am repeatedly guilty of mixing up "let" and "rent" in the exact same way...

I once saw a sign asking me if I wanted to "loose weight". No, I want to lose my loose weight!

TheBigJessie Sat 22-Sep-12 09:32:23

One word. Laying. Oh, were you? Where's the egg, then, pray?

Tee2072 Sat 22-Sep-12 09:32:53

"Yeah, people who mix up load and borrow..."

Do you mean loan?

If you're going to be pedantic...proofread!

FrozenFlowers Sat 22-Sep-12 09:35:28

Which country is "this" one? We've been using "gotten" in Scotland all the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now