Talk

Advanced search

To get up at 5?

(22 Posts)
MummyPig24 Sat 22-Sep-12 05:02:18

If I can't sleep, I get up and do what needs to be done or watch tv. Dp thinks I'm mental and I should stay in bed and try to sleep. If I've been trying for an hour or more, is it odd to get up? I can't just lie there! This usually happens when I'm anxious to get something sorted. We are moving house today and I know I need to pack up the kitchen first thing. WIBU to get up and do it at 5am?

48Hours Sat 22-Sep-12 05:11:08

No not unreasonable, you are stressed and awake anyway so may as well get on with the packing.
Hope the move goes well.

PoppyWearer Sat 22-Sep-12 05:12:34

If you're awake you may as well get up and be useful! Good luck today!

MammaTJisWearingGold Sat 22-Sep-12 05:20:51

I just MN and FB, then go back to sleep!!

If you want to get up though, do it, YANBU.

MummyPig24 Sat 22-Sep-12 05:28:11

Thanks, I'm not the only mad one. Jeez its freezing! Doubly worried as could not find anyone to have our children. I imagine they will be v.excited and slightly annoying. Dp and I are ok with that but my dad has kindly offered to help but is v.v.short tempered with the kids and really dont want them yelled at. Now aibu to want my dad to be vaguely nice to his grandchildren?!

Good luck with the move - yanbu to want your dad to be nice to your grandchildren; mine seems to be able to be nice to my eldest (girl) and barely notices the toddler, but constantly tells my 5 yo boy he is "silly" in a disappointed sounding voice with much grave head shaking - he's a 5 yo boy, but it doesn't help anyone to constantly tell him he's silly!

echt Sat 22-Sep-12 05:56:51

YANBU

I wake at 5.00.a.m. every day for no other reason than I do.

Unsurprisingly I am not good value in the evening.

Shoshe Sat 22-Sep-12 06:02:47

I wake at 5 everyday , used to be up to commute at that time , now I just use the time to do the ironing or get the slow cooler on sort of thing.

At weekends I might just go curl up on the sofa with the dogs and read, or if DH is working nights and its light will take the dogs up onto Salisbury plain till DH gets home then have breakfast with him and snuggle back in bed for a cuddle for a while

insanityscratching Sat 22-Sep-12 06:08:24

I'm up at 5am every day too and 4.30am this morning. I'm just a rubbish sleeper and it drives me mad tossing and turning so I get up instead. Sometimes I'm quite productive other times like today I MN and catch up with the TV.

MummyPig24 Sat 22-Sep-12 06:09:53

TheEnglishWoman similar situation, dad on ds back all the time (almost 5) but ok towards dd 2 unless she is whingy/dirty. Ds is desperate for his grandads attention and approval so goes "silly". Sigh. Well I haven't got much done but at least haven't lay there brooding.

LtEveDallas Sat 22-Sep-12 06:17:50

I'm always up between 5 and half past. It's a bit of time to myself, nice and quiet where I read a book or MN.

Sometimes I may put the washing on or load the dishwasher, but generally do nothing. The dog joins me at 6 and we snuggle up together on the sofa, before DD joins us at half past.

I'm so used to it now that if I sleep in till 6 say I feel slightly 'off' most of the day - like I haven't had a break...

(oh and I don't go to bed too early, otherwise I'd wake up at 4!)

MummyPig24 Sat 22-Sep-12 06:41:05

I've put mamma mia on. How indulgent of me!

RuleBritannia Sat 22-Sep-12 06:52:32

It's the best time of the day, especially in the Spring. Go outside and listen to the birds because you can hardly hear them the rest of the day.

TroublesomeEx Sat 22-Sep-12 06:55:52

I sleep dreadfully.

I'm quite often up and about by 5/5.30. I find it the best time of day to get anything done. Especially since it's still 'nighttime', I feel like I've saved myself a few real hours in the day.

There's nothing like getting into the kitchen and getting a load of baking done whilst everyone's asleep! (Obviously I do have better things to do to!)

I enjoy baking/cooking in the early hours, I feel I have got one over on the world if I get the ironing/floor mopping done at that time!

And everyone's so surprised I always gets words of appreciation and approval. Sad as it sounds, I'll take it where I can get it! wink

Good luck for your move today.

I'm rubbish in the evenings though!

TroublesomeEx Sat 22-Sep-12 06:56:20

* too

happydotcom Sat 22-Sep-12 06:58:22

I've been up since 0415 as ds is teething. He settled half an hour ago but if I go to sleep now, I'll feel like death when I wake up.

Yanbu . I'll join you for a strong virtual coffee and hope the house move goes smoothly smile

insanityscratching Sat 22-Sep-12 07:37:20

I gave up on MN and baked instead. Only half seven and we have cookies and a Victoria Sponge cooling and a load of washing pegged out grin.

TroublesomeEx Sat 22-Sep-12 07:42:25

It's a good feeling - insanity!

MrsPnut Sat 22-Sep-12 07:44:54

I was up at 5:40. I've loaded the dishwasher, put a load in the washing machine, put the new hose on the vacuum, cleaned the bathrooms and my desk.

I'm going for a shower in a minute then tackling the rest of the house.

CheshireDing Sat 22-Sep-12 08:22:03

YANBU. I am up early every day because we have an 11 month old and it's my first week in a new job after ML, oh and the 11 month old is ill with a snotty nose and a cough sad

Bizarrely I feel less tired nowadays than I did when I just had to get up and go to work (even though I had unbroken sleep then).

Look like a bag of spanners now though grin

Enjoy your move.

CheshireDing Sat 22-Sep-12 08:23:15

Bloody hell wish I was in insanitys house though ! Sounds yummy.

MummyPig24 Sat 22-Sep-12 18:18:44

We are in! Still surrounded by chaos but currently eating pizza and watching charlie and Lola!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now