Talk

Advanced search

To go into school and alter the class timeline?

(51 Posts)
kim147 Fri 21-Sep-12 21:40:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Gumby Fri 21-Sep-12 21:41:30

Get ds to tell them

How old is he?

Give him a print out from Wikipedia a Book about it to prove it

kim147 Fri 21-Sep-12 21:44:03

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Fri 21-Sep-12 21:44:37

I agree, get DS to do it. And arm him with a few sources.

Hulababy Fri 21-Sep-12 21:45:46

If the timeline does say it then yes, get DS to correct the teacher - he can do this polite enough surely? Esp if he has some book or printout to bsck him up.

But he needs to check the timeline def says this first and doesn't have something related to it, an event that occurred in the run up for example.

kim147 Fri 21-Sep-12 21:47:10

NameChangeGalore Fri 21-Sep-12 21:48:23

nannyl Fri 21-Sep-12 22:27:28

get him to tell the teacher

my old maths teacher / form tutor had pi to 100 decimal places up on the wall going all the way around the room....
after about a year someone noticed that he had got 2 of the numbers the wrong way round....

it was changed, we all had a laugh, and it was corrected. (it was a typo anyway)

WorraLiberty Fri 21-Sep-12 22:29:43

You don't need to sneak in, you just need to ask the teacher if what your DS said about the timeline is right.

If she says it's right...then you can tell her she's wrong grin

GnomeDePlume Fri 21-Sep-12 22:50:17

DH has confirmed (dark age nerd).

It was a great feat of military effort. The army had marched north to battle Harold Hardrada who had occupied York. Having defeated the Vikings in the north the army then had to march again at all speed to battle the norsemen Vikings in the south. A battle they nearly won and would have won if the battle in the north hadnt taken place.

I will now have to stop DH from digging his chain mail out of the attic.

Cathycomehome Fri 21-Sep-12 23:09:46

Namechangegalore, I'm struggling... Do you think your child's teacher doesn't know the alphabet? Really? The battle thing is one thing, but your child's order of name on pegs? Really?

RillaBlythe Fri 21-Sep-12 23:12:36

namechange daft question, but are the rest of the names in alphabetical order?

Cathycomehome Fri 21-Sep-12 23:14:37

IMO, daft question, or point raised by name change , unless she actually does think her child's teacher doesn't know the alphabet....

Cathycomehome Fri 21-Sep-12 23:26:20

And so, in the spirit of honesty, I call namechangegalore's story false. I just dont believe, having taught for many years and trained others to teach, and had experience of different schools and very different calibres of trainee, that any qualified teacher would put "B" before "A" through ignorance of the alphabet.

Cathycomehome Fri 21-Sep-12 23:27:27

Please excuse typos, quick indignant typing on iPad...

DottyWottyDooDah Fri 21-Sep-12 23:29:29

Perhaps 'B' needs easier access to her coat peg.

kim147 Fri 21-Sep-12 23:35:56

dottyspotty2 Sat 22-Sep-12 00:16:06

battle of stamford bridge I'd print it off if I was you grin

missingmumxox Sat 22-Sep-12 00:49:42

I hope the teacher is nice, I remember during my nurse training we did the endocrine system and we moved on to the thyroid, and a tutor who I did and still have a great respect for as she was in the main kind and knowledgeable unfortunalty she was also not used to and did not like being contradicted!
so she asked what conditions could be caused by the thyroid and I said cretinism, she said I am ignoring that silly suggestion (it was stronger and ruder than that), I said no really it is, she got really cross at being questioned...I knew I was right, she was in her defence used to me being a class joker, but my Mum was a Midwife and my interest in nursing had come from reading her texted books,
sometimes a good teacher of whatever can crush someone, when challenged, and I hadn't learned depolmacy at 20, I have now and have learned to challenge but not directly,
Funny but good thing is I am senior at work now and I really don't mind challenge,
but what it did do was knock my confidence for a short while even when I looked it up straight away after the lecture and knew I was righ, I was 20,
it might be better coming from you than your child in this casea sit is not quite set in stone but it is on a time line

HenriettaChicken Sat 22-Sep-12 01:14:09

I remember a history lesson when I was 12. The teacher told us Arthur, Henry VIII's brother, died on the White Ship. I said 'No, that was Henry I's son. Arthur probably died of consumption.' He didn't believe me. angry

SavoyCabbage Sat 22-Sep-12 01:22:53

There has got to be another reason for B to have the first peg. confused I definitely wouldn't bother taking my children to school every day if I thought the teacher didn't know the order if the first two letters of the alphabet.

deleted203 Sat 22-Sep-12 01:23:38

Battle of Stamford Bridge was 25 Sept 1066 (I've got a degree in Military History). It would really annoy me - I'm pedantic about being correct about historical facts! On subject of getting spellings wrong my DS4 has a really unusual gaelic name - Reception teacher spelt it wrong all the time! I wouldn't have minded so much but she'd written it on his coat peg, his tray, his reading pack and his desk and tried a different spelling each time- ALL of which were wrong! Would it not have been simpler to check it on our application form (where we had, obviously, spelt it correctly)?

MiniMonty Sat 22-Sep-12 01:27:00

I'd say focus on the value of taking DS to Stamford Bridge and seeing the re-enactment. That experience will live on and bring the history alive. Whether the date on the time line at school is a year out won't matter when he becomes most emeritus professor of history...
You're getting it right at your end - don't sweat the small stuff.

Might be worth a nod and a mention to the (overworked, underpaid, tired and emotionally drained) teacher next time you have an excuse to drop in though....

PS - it's pretty well accepted by historians (English and French) that Harold became king in January 1066. Battle of Stamford Bridge was September 25th 1066. In 1065 Edward the Confessor was still king.

WofflingOn Sat 22-Sep-12 01:34:06

Timeline needs changing.
The peg?
Teacher may have very good reasons for B needing her peg to be first.

Jenny70 Sat 22-Sep-12 09:09:05

Timeline, get Ds to tell her - no need to go unless youbwant to -just get Ds to say you were talking about it & realised her timeline was out by 1 year.

Peg - let it go, could be host of reasons B needs to be first, or simple mistake, but meh.

We went to eldest's classroom (yr5) and my dh was annoyed their solar system mobile had pluto on it still - planets were ind hung, so no big deal to give pluto the snip. Mentioned it to ds and he'd noticed too, but said it was better than other yr5 class where planets were in completely wrong order! Dh would have commented on that for sure!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now