Talk

Advanced search

to wonder why you would queue outside a shop to buy something?

(48 Posts)
Wheresmypopcorn Fri 21-Sep-12 16:54:59

Have been reading the dailymail (okay I admit it) and just came across this article about the new iPhone. Can anyone explain the phenomenon of queuing for ages to be the first to get your hands on something? Are these ebay enthusiasts looking to make a profit? Or is it just the satisfaction of having the latest technology first? IS it fashionable?

lubeybooby Fri 21-Sep-12 16:56:34

I'm just impatient, wanted it asap, it was for my DD, she deserves it and we've saved hard, she used her birthday money... never had anything really nice like that before... etc etc. So I did my queue stint and got one grin

RaisinDEtre Fri 21-Sep-12 16:57:14

the same surely as those who queued at midnight for the new HP books back in the day

Icelollycraving Fri 21-Sep-12 16:57:44

I've queued up to get the new iPhone before. It was indeed to have it as soon as it launched.

CurrentBun Fri 21-Sep-12 16:58:50

I was thinking the same thing OP when i heard on the news this morning that people had queued up to buy the new iphone. WTAF? Now if they were giving them away fair enough but really....what's it all about . It's ridiculous.

gazzalw Fri 21-Sep-12 16:58:54

And what about Primark - they opened their new Oxford Street store a few hours earlier than publicised to ensure there was no mayhemic crush!

lubeybooby Fri 21-Sep-12 16:59:33

Oh and also DD's current phone is broken so she needs another and i didn't want to get an interim one as well as an iPhone in say a few weeks when it's calmed down a bit...

and i missed the pre orders for delivery, didn't physically have the full amount of money in my account til all the pre orders were sold out with a two week wait...

lubeybooby Fri 21-Sep-12 17:00:26

Currentbun read my messages above - is that really so ridiculous? I have a whole host of reasons...

RaisinDEtre Fri 21-Sep-12 17:02:58

(I do smell a whiff of ye olde wel jel, lubey)

Mrsjay Fri 21-Sep-12 17:03:36

glasgow apple store had 3 people camping out 3 grin

CurrentBun Fri 21-Sep-12 17:04:10

I wonder if the other hundreds queuing were in the same situation. I doubt it.

It's a fad and people just want to be able to say they were the first to get something. So what, no one actually cares.

RaisinDEtre Fri 21-Sep-12 17:06:52

okaaaaaay

fad or not, it's no skin orf your nose, why are you so huffy?

harleyd Fri 21-Sep-12 17:07:28

i refuse to stand in a queue that has more than 3 people in it!

CurrentBun Fri 21-Sep-12 17:08:15

Me too harleyd grin

sixlostmonkeys Fri 21-Sep-12 17:09:00

An American friend of mine said the following (sums it up for me too)
"I try not to judge people, but the local news is covering the big line at the mall waiting for the Apple store to open, and, well, I'm feeling superior."

Mrsjay Fri 21-Sep-12 17:09:10

some of my daughters friends queue got video games Its really all about the hype and they enjoy being involved they are not really harming anybody .

Mrsjay Fri 21-Sep-12 17:09:19

for*

Mrsjay Fri 21-Sep-12 17:10:07

I don't own ianything <smug>

iknowwho Fri 21-Sep-12 17:11:48

Well they are not doing anyone any harm and it's abit of fun!

I've queued for tickets before now. Maybe not quite the same but it was something that was important to me.

RuleBritannia Fri 21-Sep-12 17:14:43

I'll queue at checkouts, at Passport Control, at Security Clearance, for a bus and ......................... at our local Post Office which is so tiny that the queue reaches out of the door with five people. At least we have one once my nearest one was one of the shops closed down for redevelopment

StrawberryMonkey Fri 21-Sep-12 17:15:42

Wow...kids that get given £500 birthday money or iPhones bought for them....
envy
Lucky things! Enjoy! smile

Wheresmypopcorn Fri 21-Sep-12 17:27:05

Was not intending to be huffy peeps, just lighthearted. This is clearly a global phenomenon. The queue for the iPhone is even more devoted that the queue of people on Leicester Square I saw who were camping to see Johnny Depp at his premiere (he only got about 5 people doing that!)

Wheresmypopcorn Fri 21-Sep-12 17:28:27

I did q once at Wimbledon <remembers this, hands head in shame>

CurrentBun Fri 21-Sep-12 17:28:51

Lets face it, most of those in the queue have time to queue. Probably on benefits. Spending my hard earned tax money on a nifty new gadget.

harbingerofdoom Fri 21-Sep-12 17:30:05

I would queue for food if we had shortages/a war etc. Like they had to do in Russia not that long ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now