Talk

Advanced search

to think he was well out of order (new disabled parking thread)

(42 Posts)
xMumof3x Fri 21-Sep-12 16:03:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BlueberryHill Fri 21-Sep-12 16:05:53

No you weren't. He was being an arse.

CheeseandPickledOnion Fri 21-Sep-12 16:06:11

YANBU. I'd have told him to fuck off. What is it with people expecting someone to look 'ill' if they are disabled?

It's as stupid as people putting on a sick voice to call in ill to work. Unless you have an actual cold or sore throat you are unlikely to actually sound any different.

CMOTDibbler Fri 21-Sep-12 16:07:55

He was being an arse, and you wnbu to call him that. And anything else you might think of

aldiwhore Fri 21-Sep-12 16:08:02

People are arseholes, waste no more thought on that particular wanker.

They are of the group of people that if they can't see exactly what's wrong, then you must be okay.

YWNBU to have ranted, belittled and sworn loudly... I would have cheered you, even if I was with my children, and I hate swearyness around my children. I would have simply explained context and cheered you some more.

xMumof3x Fri 21-Sep-12 16:08:02

Thumbwitch Fri 21-Sep-12 16:08:22

You have a badge, he doesn't. He's just being a complete dick about the fact that you have a legitimate claim to the space but don't appear to be completely shrivelled up - just ignore. And no, you would not have been unreasonable to say that - did you actually say it? If not, better luck next time!

valiumredhead Fri 21-Sep-12 16:08:32

Tbh (and I am a blue badge holder too) I would never go up to anyone who wasn't displaying a badge - they aren't going to be reasonable because if they were they wouldn't be there in the first place iyswim?

xMumof3x Fri 21-Sep-12 16:09:40

NettoSuperstar Fri 21-Sep-12 16:10:46

He was being a knob, but for future reference, even with a blue badge, he shouldn't have been parked there, you aren't allowed to park and wait for someone.
I didn't know this til recently, it didn't occur to me, as I often did, while my friend ran errands for me.

xMumof3x Fri 21-Sep-12 16:11:17

CakeBump Fri 21-Sep-12 16:12:08

YWDNBU

He was an arse.

Tuttutitlookslikerain Fri 21-Sep-12 16:12:21

I parked in a Parent&Toddler space the other day because all the disabled bays were full. A woman in the next bay was craning her neck, had a hmm face and was countering away to herself just loud enough so I could hear!

DS1(17) "if you crane your neck a little bit more, you'll see my mum is disabled!"

She said that I didn't look it, so DS1 said to her "yeah, she walks with crutches and a limp for fun!" I was out of the car, she could see, she was just being an arse!

YANBU some people are just vile!

NettoSuperstar Fri 21-Sep-12 16:15:10

I've not had anyone say anything yet, but I have had the looks.
I don't have a visible disability, and my car does not look like what you'd imagine a disabled person's car to look like (not that, that looks like anything, but ykwim).

Thumbwitch Fri 21-Sep-12 16:15:52

What is it with this whole "You don't look disabled" crap - is there some specific way people with disabilities are all supposed to look? confused Should they have some fuck-off big sign poking out of their head, or just a big tattoo on their foreheads?

dottyspotty2 Fri 21-Sep-12 16:19:05

Well done op YWNBU. loads of invisible disabilities for crying out loud does my head in.

threeOrangesocksmorgan Fri 21-Sep-12 16:20:21

yanbu he was end of

FutTheShuckUp Fri 21-Sep-12 16:20:24

They should only be in a wheelchair I believe thumb, or devoid of limbs perhaps? And called 'handicapped' no doubt

NettoSuperstar Fri 21-Sep-12 16:24:19

I'm sure the council messed me around with my housing situation, because they can't see my disability, even though they can see all the paperwork concerning it.
If you can't see it, it must be made uphmm

NettoSuperstar Fri 21-Sep-12 16:26:03

I will say though, that it's about time they stopped using the wheelchair sign as the disabled sign.
I will be using a wheelchair soon, but anticipate issues with that when I get out of it in public.
There's nothing wrong with my legs, my lungs however, are fucked.

Thumbwitch Fri 21-Sep-12 16:26:49

I think you must be right, Fut. Some people are just such arses, it's fucking depressing.

Thumbwitch Fri 21-Sep-12 16:28:59

That's an interesting point, Netto - what do you think they should use instead? Just a big D for disabled?
Although that's not very PC, so might be objected to - and dickheads might think it stands for Dickhead and park there - any ideas?

Tuttutitlookslikerain Fri 21-Sep-12 16:31:04

I don't think you're allowed to be youngish either Thumb. The amount of time I get 'the look' or questioned by elderly people is unbelievable!

Thumbwitch Fri 21-Sep-12 16:34:27

soo - have to be old, missing limbs, in a wheelchair...
<sigh>
So many ignorant people out there. sad

Natnat29 Fri 21-Sep-12 16:34:55

He's a complete tosser!
I think this attitude 'you don't look disabled' every time I use my blue badge Im expecting someone to comment because the first time I ever used it-about 2 yrs ago I had a middle aged woman and her mum stop my and asking me why I was using it?! WTAF I told them where to go but not before I told them to never judge a book by its cover. I've also had this attitude in the workplace which is very sad and was told my senior manager that it was hard for people to think of me as disabled as I look too well - people really are fucking stupid at times sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now