Talk

Advanced search

A disabled parking thread (quick answers needed please!)

(27 Posts)
Kayano Fri 21-Sep-12 15:19:17

This is not a bun fight thread but...

My dad has a blue badge
We are at the doctors surgery
The (small) car park is full (even disabled spots)

Can he park anywhere around the surgery even though it is permit holders only?

Thank you

Kayano Fri 21-Sep-12 15:19:57

Or to keep it AIBU

AIBU to think he can park there?

DawnOfTheDee Fri 21-Sep-12 15:21:26

He can park there. YANBU.

FuckityFuckFuck Fri 21-Sep-12 15:21:51

No

But it may depend on where you are

cornzy Fri 21-Sep-12 15:21:51

park it, take him in and ask at the desk, if it's not okay you could go out and hover for a space?

SammyTheSwedishSquirrel Fri 21-Sep-12 15:22:11

No. One of the few restrictions on blue badges is that you cannot park in areas designated by the council for others permit holders. You can park on double yellows though.

TribbleTuckandDismount Fri 21-Sep-12 15:22:49

As far as I'm aware yes, check the signs and then go from there.

Kayano Fri 21-Sep-12 15:23:57

Ah. There are double yellows around. Thank you!

Bloody daft this permit bit anyway. I'd understand if it was at peak times but all the streets are empty!

Kayano Fri 21-Sep-12 15:24:29

Nb not all permit bits are daft but this one is!

TroublesomeEx Fri 21-Sep-12 15:25:02

Well this must have cleared things up for you! wink

I don't know. I'd park, clarify at reception and then hover/move the car if necessary.

Can you park on the surrounding roads and then drive back up to the surgery to get him when it's time to leave?

I would suggest thought that permit holders are essential staff members and so I'd err on the side of not.

valiumredhead Fri 21-Sep-12 15:25:13

Not in permit holders bays - yes up to 3 hrs in the UK on double yellows as long as it's not blocking traffic.

TroublesomeEx Fri 21-Sep-12 15:25:30

x post.

Glad you have it sorted.

SammyTheSwedishSquirrel Fri 21-Sep-12 15:25:45

Just make sure there on no yellow markings on the kerb. You can't park if there are.

Thumbwitch Fri 21-Sep-12 15:26:45

I'd let him out at the surgery and park, then go and ask at reception and move car if necessary.
Are the permit holder spaces for surgery staff or other people? And how many of them are empty?

maytheoddsbeeverinyourfavour Fri 21-Sep-12 15:27:34

Not in permit holders only spaces, but yes on double yellow lines (as long as its not causing an obstruction)

Kayano Fri 21-Sep-12 15:29:11

He is driving! Lol

It's one of those 'cant tell he has a disability' cases. He'll be fine walking from the double yellows, it's if it's far he has real issues. I'd be breaking the law with my expired licence, I'm just along for the ride lol

Thanks all!

Thumbwitch Fri 21-Sep-12 15:33:53

Ohhhh. Hope you managed to park on the double yellows somewhere non-obstructive then smile

Kayano Fri 21-Sep-12 15:37:48

Well this turned out to be a pointless thread because we swung round to get the good double yellows and there was a glorious disabled spot lol blush

But we all learned a lesson :D

SquashedSquirrel Fri 21-Sep-12 15:38:17

You can park in a permit bay for an unlimited period depending on which Borough/Authority you are in. Equally, pay and display bays the same.

You can park on single or double yellow lines for up to 3 hours providing that there aren't loading/unloading restrictions in place (kerb markings will denote if there are) and the badge and clock are displayed.

SquashedSquirrel Fri 21-Sep-12 15:38:49

Oops - too late.

Glad you got it sorted out though.

SammyTheSwedishSquirrel Fri 21-Sep-12 15:39:35

Cousin Harald, is that you?

SquashedSquirrel Fri 21-Sep-12 15:41:28

SAMMY... How the devil are you??

SammyTheSwedishSquirrel Fri 21-Sep-12 15:42:50

Busy, busy. You know how it is this time of year. Mum said she'd heard you'd been feeling a bit flat lately.

Socknickingpixie Fri 21-Sep-12 15:46:47

he cannot park.....

in a loading bay
in a permit bay
on double yellows if the curb is dashed
loads of places in bournmouth and westminster.

SquashedSquirrel Fri 21-Sep-12 15:49:46

Bless her, how is she keeping?
Yes, busy as well... how are your DC?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now