Talk

Advanced search

to tell my baby to not shout in the supermarket?

(46 Posts)
newmummytobe79 Fri 21-Sep-12 15:13:24

Ahhhh! I can't win!

Baby is just over 1 and has a habit of shouting VERY loudly whilst we're shopping and then laughing about it.

I have people who tell me how gorgeous baby is and how it's just a 'finding their voice' exercise ... and others that look at me in disgust sad

I do tell my baby to stop shouting/no/don't do that etc etc ... but I feel like my life is spent constantly telling off!

I know baby isn't being naughty (much!) and will eventually understand the word no (please tell me this is true!)

But I see parents just ignoring shouting kids and wonder if I should do that?

Thoughts please smile

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Fri 21-Sep-12 15:15:41

people who look at a 1 year old baby in disgust for shouting are officially loons.

aldiwhore Fri 21-Sep-12 15:16:20

I LOVE to see and hear babies having a joyful holler in the supermarket. I used to talk to my boys (actually I still do) and sing songs, let them choose things from the shelves and generally involve them. I got disaproving looks (could have been my paranoia I gues) and comments (actual comments).

You can't win. So long as your baby is doing nothing illegal or dangerous then ignore others.

Saying that, if an old lady gives you the evil eye, your baby has probably made her hearing aid scream, so forgive her! (That could be said for anyone with a hearing aid...)

cornzy Fri 21-Sep-12 15:17:02

let him shout all he wants - miserable feckers

newmummytobe79 Fri 21-Sep-12 15:17:39

Thank you fanjoforthemammaries (grin at your name!)

I sometimes want to laugh ... and sometimes want to cry! It is normal I'm guessing then! smile

valiumredhead Fri 21-Sep-12 15:18:57

I think I would go with distraction rather than suing no every time he did it and just try and ignore everyone else - you won't please everyone all of the time.

newmummytobe79 Fri 21-Sep-12 15:19:01

hahaha at the hearing aid comment! Although I find it's the old dears that are the kindest smile

I shall think feck em indeed smile

DD used to have whole gaga conversations really loudly with mystery other babies in other aisles!

Ignore the evil eyes. Its a supermarket, not a library!

TwinkleReturns Fri 21-Sep-12 15:24:54

My 18mo still does this! I just talk back to her and used to smile and make comments like "are you telling me all about it? clever girl" which soon kills any glaring comments! Its all about learning to communicate and is an important part of development. I would not advise shushing, it sends the wrong messages to a child who is just trying to do their own version of talking!

Kalisi Fri 21-Sep-12 15:37:21

My DS did this every single day in the restaurant on holiday. We had a complete mix of people, those who were visibly annoyed who would swap tables to get out of earshot and those who adored him and would deliberately sit next to us every day. It was pretty embarassing and we too tried a number of things to stop it. Eventually we stopped caring what other people thought and suddenly it wasn't as interesting to him to scream any more angry

RaisinDEtre Fri 21-Sep-12 15:46:47

why would you shush a baby?

also remember that your baby sounds loud to you the parents but actually it's a really tiny sound

skyrocketsinflight Fri 21-Sep-12 15:51:57

a 1 year old cute, and you can put up with them being loud. Especially if they are happy when doing it. I would generally just smile at the happy shouty baby.

A most likely 3/4 year old singing/shouting for an entire 40 minute train journey after a 12 hour day at work. Awful!

I do admit to glaring at the child, and considered getting off and waiting about 30 minutes for the next train. Was nearly smacking my head of the seat in front in frustration. As there was nowhere else to sit and couldnt face standing at the other end of the train.

ChunkyPickle Fri 21-Sep-12 15:52:12

Ha yes, DS was probably annoying an entire Starbucks yesterday when I put on an episode of his favourite show to keep him quiet while I spoke to someone, but instead he found it super exciting and kept yelling and giggling very loudly as things happened on the screen (along with Mumm mumm look!)

Anyone who has a problem with little ones being loudly happy is a grumpy toad.

MabelLucyAttwell Fri 21-Sep-12 15:52:17

Discipline begins at birth.

katykuns Fri 21-Sep-12 15:52:24

Chances are, if you ignore him (and pay attention when he is at a normal volume) he will stop shouting anyway.

I personally think its adorable hearing babies babble whether its loud or not... sod everyone else!

Thumbwitch Fri 21-Sep-12 15:54:46

So long as it's not that ear-splitting shriek that some babies achieve, I'd let him off. Ear-splitting shrieks are to be discouraged at every available opportunity though. smile

ChunkyPickle Fri 21-Sep-12 15:55:40

Ah, yes, I too would feel differently if the child is a shrieker..

FunnysInLaJardin Fri 21-Sep-12 15:56:58

I would let him shout, anyone who has had children will understand exactly and will no doubt smile and the others can keep their noses out. I realised this with DS2 who undoubtedly is frowned upon for being 2.5. However I don't give a shit grin

DesperatelySeekingPomBears Fri 21-Sep-12 16:00:51

My DS does this, I just cheerfully talk back to him "is that so DS? And what did he say when you told him that?"

I'm sure people think I'm mad but meh, DS and I love our shopping jaunts.

bigsnugglebunny Fri 21-Sep-12 16:02:14

Ah supermarkets make such good echoes and the acoustics are interesting for small people. We have this too and I just leave her to it! Don't worry about the grumps - if they don't like it, plenty of supermarkets are open late enough for it to be after most babie's bedtimes! smile

But older children running amok... that's a whole other thread!

HarlotOTara Fri 21-Sep-12 16:03:54

Ignore there are always miserable buggers around. I love to hear the sound of a happy shouting baby. Your baby is find his/her voice and is being happy.

BlueSkySinking Fri 21-Sep-12 16:04:08

Try distraction

Kalisi Fri 21-Sep-12 17:28:50

ooh er @ Mabel! Ill just assume you were being ironic hmm

Pandemoniaa Fri 21-Sep-12 17:31:33

People are miserable fuckers. A jolly baby is a joy to see and hear. But you can try distraction if the noise levels start to get to you.

LST Fri 21-Sep-12 17:32:05

You wouldn't even hear shouting over my 10mo in the supermarket. My ears almost bleed grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now