Talk

Advanced search

My 7 year old keeps complaining about 1 other boy in his class - what do I do?

(11 Posts)
teamhp Fri 21-Sep-12 04:26:29

My 7yr son keeps complaining about 1 other boy in his class. He joined a small 1 form school last Feb and we assumed it was settling problems and keep school informed and tried to support him. However 2 weeks into year 3 and the same issues keep being raised. I'm concerned as this is a tiny school and now the boys are forming clubs at break time etc...I have raised again with school but risk becoming the neurotic mother? am I? Also other boys mum mentioned to be at pick up today and while I hope I was fairly neutral (let the school sort out/boys will be boys) I'm sure you can never really be neutral about your child
It's just upsetting to see your once confident child feel so confused and sad

MrsTerrysChocolateOrange Fri 21-Sep-12 05:18:49

You haven't actually said what he's complaining about. Being excluded, being bullied, not getting on with this boy, all very different scenarios.

Euphemia Fri 21-Sep-12 06:49:32

Is the boy affecting lesson time? Or only break times?

WofflingOn Fri 21-Sep-12 07:03:03

Go and share your concerns with the teacher and they will will be able to monitor the situation and work out a way forwards. You will have to be much more specific than in your OP though, give specific incidents and locations.

LydiasMiletus Fri 21-Sep-12 07:27:06

Has your son just joined the school or the other boy.
What is your son complaining about? When the mother spoke, what was her/ her sons pov?

teamhp Fri 21-Sep-12 08:04:45

Currently it's being ousted from the clubs at break time and being on his own
Teachers thought last years issues were related to my ds becoming new boy
this other boy was the previous new boy
Other mother didn't really have a position ( we were both circling a little)

Euphemia Fri 21-Sep-12 08:06:28

Are these informal clubs, or school-run?

minceorotherwise Fri 21-Sep-12 08:11:00

It's unclear in your OP but of he is being picked on and excluded by the other boys then you need to get onto it
Keep on at the school, make sure they are helping with strategies to help him at break and lunchtime. IME it rarely gets better on it's own
Get some boys around for playdates too, and if you are in a position to befriend the other mums, do so and get them on board, make them aware of the situation and see if they are happy to have a chat with their kids about including him
But do it now, don't let the situation run on

valiumredhead Fri 21-Sep-12 08:24:07

There's always one in a class - always!

MabelLucyAttwell Fri 21-Sep-12 08:59:44

Are these boys forming their own 'cliques' at breaktime and none will accept your son so he sits alone in the playground?

teamhp Fri 28-Sep-12 07:56:03

Thanks all
I've taken your advice re. Play dates and also caught up with afew other mums - difficult when working but general opinion is that it's not just my ds this boy seems to have the same effect on others. So less concerned that it is bullying however have talked with school
Also trying to give my ds some strategies re. Building resilience and not see himself as a victim - any tips? Weve talked about using humour but all tips welcome

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now