Talk

Advanced search

To hate myself for putting up with emails from mums flogging stuff? Tupperware or cards

(81 Posts)
BonnyDay Thu 20-Sep-12 17:12:31

You know the "mummy jobs" (cringe )

You once bought a card / tub / pair of earrings and they keep emailing you crap.
This one was about 5 years ago. Im top scared to say fuck off.

scarletforya Thu 20-Sep-12 18:14:02

Set up a rule to auto delete her mails. smile

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Thu 20-Sep-12 18:15:10

Can't you just block the emails by adding them as spam?

PeggyCarter Thu 20-Sep-12 18:18:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BonnyDay Thu 20-Sep-12 18:24:24

But I use my spam. In a way I'm cross not just to be blunt.

BonnyDay Thu 20-Sep-12 18:24:45

Yup. Mummy jobs. (Pejorative )crap

Ragwort Thu 20-Sep-12 18:25:53

Why is it so difficult to say 'no thanks, I don't need any more tupperware/cards/whatever ?' hmm.

PeggyCarter Thu 20-Sep-12 18:31:36

BonnyDay Thu 20-Sep-12 18:58:04

Oh not a friend.

BonnyDay Thu 20-Sep-12 18:58:56

Rag. You're right. But I'm really saying I don't want yours.
We all know why we but this stuff. Social obligation. They trade on it.

GetOrfAKAMrsUsainBolt Thu 20-Sep-12 19:00:49

It is social obligation. Like a colleague with the avon catalogue. Who the HELL sells like this now? If I want some shite from Avon I will order it online.

Nobody really wants to buy this overpriced cack.

I would be the same though and just ignore/delete, I don't think I would say 'thanks but no thanks' <cowardly>

PeggyCarter Thu 20-Sep-12 19:01:08

BonnyDay Thu 20-Sep-12 19:03:25

You can't say no. You think "oh ill go. Glass if warm wine then run".
But it's hotel California

BonnyDay Thu 20-Sep-12 19:04:02

Then they start texting. Have you an emergency need for a pizza stone

PeggyCarter Thu 20-Sep-12 19:06:57

GetOrfAKAMrsUsainBolt Thu 20-Sep-12 19:09:04

Oh god I thought they were just trying to sell stuff to you direct, not get you to go to parties.

I just would be busy for the next 10 years, every night. NEVER go to these ghastly parties. You only end up with a small glass of white zinfandel and a vibtator on your nose.

BonnyDay Thu 20-Sep-12 19:11:56

Yup. Direct.these people use numbers they scab from party invitations from kids

BonnyDay Thu 20-Sep-12 19:12:49

Bad marketing if someone hasn't bought off you for 5 years and you don't adjust your mailing list

GetOrfAKAMrsUsainBolt Thu 20-Sep-12 19:13:55

I would just ignore.

These parties are useless, i can't think of anyone who ever enjoys going to them.

If you are not a friend and just have kids in common I think it is extraordinary that they would invite you. Are they Amway parties? grin

ElectricSoftParade Thu 20-Sep-12 19:20:20

I went to an Ann Summer's "party" once. The rep then called me several times demanding my order, then because I was wussy because I wouldn't answer her calls started to text me, outraged because I wasn't ordering. I didn't order anything and she now blanks me when we meet.

Then there is the whole new circle of hell known as Pampered Chef parties...

I now make a polite excuse and do not attend any of them and I ignore emails/texts too. I deeply dislike those parties.

GetOrfAKAMrsUsainBolt Thu 20-Sep-12 19:25:41

I don't think anyone likes those parties, surely.

Some people may say they host these parties and everyone loves them, but I am sure their guests are lying. It is like that conflict where every bride says that everyone said that their wedding was perfect blah blah, however most people think weddings are deeply dull and only attend out of duty.

BonnyDay Thu 20-Sep-12 19:29:49

I want a Stella and dot one. I know. But couldn't face inviting people.

Pascha Thu 20-Sep-12 19:30:59

My wedding only got exciting after we left.

Ragwort Thu 20-Sep-12 19:33:02

GetOrf - I so agree with you re: weddings, they are so dull, no one will ever admit to not enjoying a wedding but the last one I went to was tedious beyond belief; must have cost a fortune, it was a dreary non-religious 'ceremony' with piped music, no atmosphere and a bog standard prawn cocktail/bland chicken/chocolate cake/warm white wine meal. And I was on a table with really boring teenagers when I had specifically been told my own child was not invited grin - no surprise that we never heard from the bride and groom again.

But actually I quite like those selling parties, you get to nose in someone's house, I always take a decent bottle of wine and hang on to it - unfortunately I haven't been invited to one for ages.

GetOrfAKAMrsUsainBolt Thu 20-Sep-12 19:33:22

Jesus bonny all your friends would give you rictus grins.

I can see it looks better than tupperware pots, but generally bored women setting themselves up as 'consultants' should be avoided really.

Unless you secretly hanker after being a Stella and Dot Stylist...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now