Talk

Advanced search

To think: if you can fly first class, you shouldn't have a council house?

(842 Posts)
Mexxo Wed 19-Sep-12 22:32:26

Facebook friends of mine (friends of RL friends really) making lots of comments this week about their impending holiday to Mauritius on which they'll be flying first class and staying in a 5 star hotel.

This couple have lived in a council house for many years (no kids yet), though this year so far she has got a new (not brand new, a year or two old but still v nice) BMW and he has a new Ducati.

One of their friends has commented on FB "Wow, did you win the lottery?!" and the wife replied "no we just saved a long time for our dream holiday".

First class flights to Mauritius are £4k each. A week in a 5 star hotel must be at least £2k and probably more. That's £10k for a week's holiday. AIBU to think that if people can squirrel away that much money for a holiday, they shouldn't be living in a bloody council house subsidised by taxes from the rest of us?

RaisinDEtre Wed 19-Sep-12 22:35:53

wtf?

DogsCock Wed 19-Sep-12 22:36:18

get your hard hat on OP

<<<settles down with popcorn>>>>

WithoutCaution Wed 19-Sep-12 22:36:20

How do you know if the house is still a council house and that they didn't buy it?

I've been to Mauritius, didn't stay in the tourist areas though. Couldn't do less than two weeks in Mauritius as it's a 12 hour flight and I end up jet lagged.

BlackberryIce Wed 19-Sep-12 22:37:22

Council rents are now more commonly in line with local private let rental prices. Yabu!

Mexxo Wed 19-Sep-12 22:39:13

I know it's a council house because they told me so last time I saw them not long ago.

It is a lot cheaper than open market rent, in a desirable commuter town, and they don't own it.

MyNeighbourIsHorrid Wed 19-Sep-12 22:39:21

Jealous? Just forget about it, the grass is always greener...

mcrvamp Wed 19-Sep-12 22:39:29

Wtf has it got to do with you what they spend their money on.

Good for them if they can save up for want they want to do.

ChairOfTheBored Wed 19-Sep-12 22:39:42

YABU to think it's anything other than a private matter how they spend/ save their money.

RaisinDEtre Wed 19-Sep-12 22:40:46

so do you think that they should be tossed out on their ears because they are careful with money?

LST Wed 19-Sep-12 22:40:53

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Mexxo Wed 19-Sep-12 22:41:11

Oh right. I guess I must have missed the entire point of the AIBU board then.

As you were, people.

FreudiansGoldSlipper Wed 19-Sep-12 22:41:15

really everyone i know who lives in council property pay a lot less than private tenants, this is in london

anyway someone i used to work with lived in the middle of covent garden in a converted warehouse (i think it was) and it was council. why would you ever give that up it was beautiful

Tweasels Wed 19-Sep-12 22:42:36

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

RaisinDEtre Wed 19-Sep-12 22:42:49

what do you think the whole point of AIBU is?

you ask a q

get answers

digest responses

have a bunfight/retreat gracefully/have a hissy fit/insert here

SoleSource Wed 19-Sep-12 22:43:03

This is you envy

LST Wed 19-Sep-12 22:43:29

Argh!!! It pisses me off the shit you hear sprouted about council houses.

WithoutCaution Wed 19-Sep-12 22:43:51

Meh, if they manage to save up for a nice holiday then good for them. My Aunt puts a percentage of her DLA away for her yearly holiday. She even used some of it to go to Florida with us.

She also lives in a council bungalow but that obviously means that she is not deserving of a holiday even if we paid the majority of the costs since you are subsidising her?

porcamiseria Wed 19-Sep-12 22:44:01

LST, I reported that

OP I think you have a point, I think people rightly got LA homes when they were young, skint with kids. The kids leave home, their earnings increase- eh voila

I dont think people should be booted out, but some level of weighting needs to be applied to some LA properties

LST Wed 19-Sep-12 22:44:42

Tweasels Wed 19-Sep-12 22:44:54

Oh sorry, were we not clear. YOU ARE BEING UNREASONABLE.

squeakytoy Wed 19-Sep-12 22:45:07

grin You missed the point if you thought that AIBU means everyone will tell you that you are right...

usualsuspect3 Wed 19-Sep-12 22:45:38

LST Wed 19-Sep-12 22:46:15

Oh no don't swear at her usual someone might report you!

grin

Rubirosa Wed 19-Sep-12 22:46:49

Council houses aren't subsidised - most councils and HAs actually make quite a big surplus on rents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now