Talk

Advanced search

To consider buying an iPod touch for ds' 8th birthday?

(42 Posts)
eightytwenty Sun 16-Sep-12 22:43:10

I have always been against hand held devices and have resisted ds' requests for a ds. However ds1 has asked for an iPod for his birthday.

He would love a touch, but has acknowledged it is too expensive, and so isn't expecting one.

However I wonder whether it's worth buying 'just' an iPod. The classic is almost as expensive as the touch (with concern that he'd grow out of it), and apparently the shuffle just isn't worth it. It's possible to buy a reconditioned touch relatively cheaply.

However i'm really not uncomfortable with unfettered Internet access, access to social media etc..

Anyone faced a similar scenario? Is there a way to disable all Internet access except for I-tunes and the ap store?

All thoughts and advice welcome.

NCForNow Sun 16-Sep-12 22:44:59

well YANBU but you will have to watch him like a hawk re the internet. I am getting my 8 year old an ipod touch for Christmas..... but she won't be allowed on it without me around.

I will basically make sure she's in the same room as me when she's on it.

larks35 Sun 16-Sep-12 22:47:28

IMO 8yo is too young to be responsible for this type of gadget. I imagine he just wants to play some games so why not buy him a cheaper games consol and monitor his time on it?

silverfrog Sun 16-Sep-12 22:49:27

you can set restrictions, with a lock code. or put a password on your wifi and set the ipod to always need that password.

I let my dds have unretricted access to ipad (dd1, age 8) or ipod touch (dd2, age 5) on that basis. they are fab, and well worth it imo.

Jellyrollgumdrop Sun 16-Sep-12 22:52:43

what about a kindle fire, bigger screen & slightly cheaper......

reddaisy Sun 16-Sep-12 22:53:03

silverfrog - can I ask what your dd, 5, does on the ipod touch? Techophobe emoticon!

Inneedofbrandy Sun 16-Sep-12 22:53:50

It will be fine, get a cover about doesn't smash chip if dropped. Get a reconditioned one off apple website £140 for the 8gb comes with a years cover.

My son has one, he loves all the apps, beig able to see te weather forecast photos videos FaceTime with me when he's at my nans/ mums. If I didn't have rules about screen time he would be on it 24/7 plus it's great to be able to confiscate, just the thought stops him in his tracks!

My daughters 3ds is just put down and hardly ever played wih on the other hand.

Inneedofbrandy Sun 16-Sep-12 22:55:09

Obviously from above post auto correct ( on my one) does not always work!

NCForNow Sun 16-Sep-12 22:56:48

My DDs DSi is barely played with too. What a waste that was!

silverfrog Sun 16-Sep-12 22:58:51

she does loads (not all on a daily basis!):

she has had access to it (it is mine, but in reality I don't get a look in in the day grin) since she was 2 - earlier than I would have liked, but dd1 has severe ASD, and has used an ipod/ipad for communication and education purposes for years, and so dd2 got a smaller version to play on too!

she plays games, both educational and recreational. she learned to read, write, spell, add up etc using various apps.

she watches films

she listens to audiobooks, looks at photos of previous holidays/days out, she reads books - you name it, really.

habbibu Sun 16-Sep-12 23:04:02

Dd (5) has my dad's old one,.and has stacks of audiobooks on it. We bought a v cheap speaker dock from Tesco, and she has that in her room, and also in the car on long journeys. It's not connected to home WiFi.

reddaisy Sun 16-Sep-12 23:07:57

Thanks Silver. I have an opportunity to buy DD a second hand one off a friend but she is only four so I didn't know if it would be worth it.

androbbob Sun 16-Sep-12 23:08:35

DD bought one with her birthday and christmas money of ebay - was a 2nd generation touch and works fine for her - she is never off it and cost £60

uptothestars Sun 16-Sep-12 23:12:38

Was just thinking of starting a similar thread. Dd has asked for one for her 6th birthday.
Was swaying more towards saying yes but wasn't sure if it was a little ott for a 6 year old.

Makes you wonder what they'll be asking for in 6 years time hmm

eightytwenty Sun 16-Sep-12 23:12:44

Thanks for wifi tip. Of course...its not like my iphone running off 3g. That makes me more comfortable. I am a technophobe.

silverfrog Sun 16-Sep-12 23:15:24

uptothestars - dd2 has asked for a sewing basket and craft stuff for christmas, so ime, having the latest gadgets doesn't always lead to needing/wanting bigger and better all the time.

Theas18 Sun 16-Sep-12 23:19:11

If you are going down this route put all the parental controls on and connect it to the wifi when you are updating etc only. Specifically disable in app purchases .

And (hate to say it) when it gets dropped /stood on and breaks don't post a thread saying how beastly apple are making a " not fit for purpose " product and not replacing it for free !!

It isn't designed as a childs toy...

(I say that tongue in cheek, but there has been such a thread here and also several on MSE!)

Noqontrol Sun 16-Sep-12 23:28:14

Dd got a reconditioned ipod touch for her 5th birthday. Plus a really decent case for it. She loves it, theres some really good educational games out there that are fairly cheap. Ds (2) plays on it too.

uptothestars Sun 16-Sep-12 23:37:11

silverfrog I think you're right. Dd has informed me of her Christmas list choices, zoobles (??) sylvanian families and a bracelet making set (so no iPad, laptop etc!!)

Theas18 I'll be purchasing accidental damage cover, I already thought of that wink

DingbatsFur Sun 16-Sep-12 23:49:08

DS1 is getting an ipod touch for Xmas. He will be nearly 6. I debated it long and hard and reckoned I would rather he not own a Nintendo DS or similar because they are largely for games and the fames themselves are so much. DS1 has been using my iPhone for over a year now for apps, youtube, music etc and is quite responsible. Apple also has excellent aftercare and are happy to replace iThings when they suffer wear and tear.
Restrictions will be placed on use and it will NEVER go to school.
I actually found it an easier decision to make than whether to get DS2 a leap-pad which strikes me as an easy way to dig a hole to throw lots of money down.

SocialButterfly Mon 17-Sep-12 06:42:50

Dd1 got one for her 8th birthday and it's probably the best thing we ever bought her. She face times her friend on it and texts me from the other room! She looks after it really well and knows it costs a lot and she has to respect it. It also means we got the iPad back as she was on that all the time previously.

rainbowinthesky Mon 17-Sep-12 07:04:58

I want to get one for dd's birthday too but know nothing about them. Can anyone link to what I should be looking at for a nine year old please?? Thanks

rainbowinthesky Mon 17-Sep-12 07:05:24

Do I want a 8gb or bigger for her?

Euphemia Mon 17-Sep-12 07:25:08

DD got hers when she was 9 and uses it in favour of her DS. The games you can get are either free or cost a few pounds at most, compared with the total rip-off that was DS games.

She can message her friends and have Facetime with them, although I'm not too keen on these! I've seen some messages from one of her friends slagging off another girl, so I've spoken to DD about not getting involved in that!

She has her music on it, and wakes up to an alarm that blares One Direction at her - finally an alarm that actually makes her get out of bed!

She is not allowed to take it outside when she's going out to play, and she knows that if it gets broken there's no more iPod.

Euphemia Mon 17-Sep-12 07:25:24

8gb will be plenty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now