Talk

Advanced search

to think that Covent Garden soups are a tasteless bag o'shite?

(101 Posts)
GetOrfAKAMrsUsainBolt Thu 13-Sep-12 16:22:39

I don't like them. I have tried.

I keep trying thinking that they may have pulled their finger out and made nice soups, however I am always disappointed.

Latest travesty - beetroot and horseradish soup, which had a maximum of 1/1000th of a gram of horseradish, no seasoning and an overwhelmingly sweet beetroot taste. Crap.

And before that a mexican type soup - NO bloody chilli in it whatsoever.

The tomato and basil - no bloody basil.

Chicken - I think that chicken had a miserable life as it tasted of fuck all.

Why can't they make nice soups? The Tesco finest soups are nice. Those other ones in a tub whose names escape me (they also do a skinny range) are lovely.

cornzy Thu 13-Sep-12 16:24:05

I agree. They are horrible. Duchy soups are nice though.

NellyJob Thu 13-Sep-12 16:24:57

yes it's a shame cos the cartons look so nice, you want to llike them, I don't touch them since i had a vile stomach ache all night after one....

mummysmellsofsick Thu 13-Sep-12 16:25:37

Duchy soups are lovely. Covent garden sweet potato one is quite nice.

WheelieBinRebel Thu 13-Sep-12 16:25:40

YANBU and not cheap tasteless bags of shite either! Don't bother with any of the fresh soups these days. In my opinion all of them should be done under the trade description act, try to make my own these days but it's not always do-able. I feel your pain.

bagpuss Thu 13-Sep-12 16:26:37

No, YANBU. I make my own and freeze them now.

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Thu 13-Sep-12 16:27:45

They do a lovely butternut and squash sweet potato one which gives me wind i love.

Their Chicken mulligatawny one is lovely too.

GetOrfAKAMrsUsainBolt Thu 13-Sep-12 16:28:39

I can't stand butternut squash. What a pointless vegetable that is.

The chicken mulligatawny from Tesco finest is really nice.

KinEllNotAgain Thu 13-Sep-12 16:28:48

Oh god yes.

Bland.

To quote homer Simpson biting into a rice cake, "helloooooo, flavour??"

I make my own soups now.....since starting that tinned/cartonned soups (apart from heinz cream of tomato) just dont cut it anymore smile

GetOrfAKAMrsUsainBolt Thu 13-Sep-12 16:29:46

Glorious Skinny soups - that's it.

I also had a Bloody Mary soup the other day - really spicy and vodka-ey.

Shelly32 Thu 13-Sep-12 16:30:56

Their chicken and mushroom with wholegrain mustard soup was lovely. I'm not 100% sure if it was just a one off Soup Of The Month type thing. Their pear and pepper soup around Valentine's Day was disgusting. The first mouthful made me gag and no one else in teh family particularly liked it either!

GetOrfAKAMrsUsainBolt Thu 13-Sep-12 16:32:08

God YES about that godawful pepper and pear soup.

What were they thinking?

Mind you, what was I thinking forking out good money for it.

limitedperiodonly Thu 13-Sep-12 16:33:29

I used to like them but haven't eaten one for about 15 years.

I wrote a letter of complaint after buying some watery gruel off them and they sent me a voucher for another soup and a teatowel.

The teatowel was tastier than the soup.

GetOrfAKAMrsUsainBolt Thu 13-Sep-12 16:34:40

They are all STYLE over SUBSTANCE.

Poncey company.

limitedperiodonly Thu 13-Sep-12 16:36:09

Butternut squash is not a useless vegetable.

I used to rearrange them in suggestive poses in Sainsbury's until I grew out of such childish nonsense.

I think I was about 34.

Nymia Thu 13-Sep-12 16:37:01

YANBU. They're awfully disappointing.

The tastiest soups are always ones you make yourself. Four or five ingredients, very simple, taste loads better!

Here's my failsafe winter warmer: three brown onions, cut in chunks, fry in the saucepan til soft. Add three cutted up rashers of bacon, two large potatoes diced, a shake of rosemary, water to cover and boil/simmer until potatoes are soft. Blend. Add more boiling water as you blend if you like it more runny.

NettOlympicSuperstar Thu 13-Sep-12 16:39:07

Pepper and pear?
WTAFshock

BoerWarKids Thu 13-Sep-12 16:40:21

YANBU

The last time I ate one (can't remember what flavour, I think it was a limited edition spicy curry, or some such) it gave me the most appalling flatulance blush

I was in a car with 3 other passengers an hour after eating. We had to open all the windows sad

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Thu 13-Sep-12 16:41:01

YABU, I like them and they taste exactly the same whether you buy the cartons or make them from scratch using the recipe book.

NettOlympicSuperstar Thu 13-Sep-12 16:42:45

There's a recipe book I won't be buying (and I never say that!)

ENormaSnob Thu 13-Sep-12 16:43:51

Yanbu

Doyouthinktheysaurus Thu 13-Sep-12 16:44:23

Yanbu

I think they used to taste better but they have gone all healthy with the seasoning and now they taste of dish water!

QuickLookBusy Thu 13-Sep-12 16:44:34

Yanbu

They taste as if they've boiled the veg for 17 hours and then added six times the daily recommended amount of salt.

I can do that myself thank you very much.

GetOrfAKAMrsUsainBolt Thu 13-Sep-12 16:45:22

Christ they do a recipe book?

What is the recipe for tomato souo then?

Take one tomato.

Chop and boil in 2l of water.

Do NOT add salt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now