Talk

Advanced search

To sometimes feel embarrassed for other people?

(83 Posts)
TeapotsInJune Fri 31-Aug-12 18:29:27

The gravy covered boon thread inspired this! grin

I was in Ikea once in the cafe and a lady loaded a tray with food for her and her DCs and (I presume DH.) she turned away with the tray loaded with food and promptly tripped over one of her very young DCs, the tray flew out of hands and the plates, drinks, everything shattered and left such a mess. Crowded restaurant and everyone stopped talking and stared! Poor woman!

Has anyone else ever cringed on another's behalf?

SoleSource Fri 31-Aug-12 18:35:07

Lol

As a teenager I was walking with my friend chatting. Suddenley she whispered her ex boyfriend was with his, friends nearby watching us. We carried on walking for a few steps and I asked her a question not realising I was walking alone as she had fell over a paving stone and was in a crumpled heap cherrty faced infront of her ex. How I didn.t scream out with laughter I do not know.

Euphemia Fri 31-Aug-12 18:39:51

I was walking to school this afternoon and the woman in front of me with a massive umbrella got stuck between a lampost and the fence. grin She had to turn to face me, take a step towards me then go around the lampost into the road!

To cover my smirk her embarrassment I pretended to be looking for something in my zipped pocket. grin

BlackholesAndRevelations Fri 31-Aug-12 18:42:41

If I were the umbrella woman I'd have been laughing too!! It's good to laugh at oneself.

ProudNeathGirl Fri 31-Aug-12 20:03:19

Chap came up to me in work yesterday and said "Jackie, they're waiting for you to to get to meeting room 5 so they can start the meeting"
I said "I'm not Jackie"
Why was I more embarrassed than him?

CaliforniaLeaving Fri 31-Aug-12 21:00:38

I'm the one you cringe for, walking into lamp posts, fall over, getting stuck in hedges grin I haven't covered the kids in food and drink in public, thats a biggie.

DefiniteMaybe Fri 31-Aug-12 21:04:41

When I was 14 I was on holiday, in the swimming pool when a rather large man in speedos tried to make a quick entrance into the pool from the changing room. He was running the slipped landed on his bum the sort of slid into the pool.
I nearly drowned covering up my laughs.

Hassled Fri 31-Aug-12 21:05:27

I was that person once. Some formal ball thing when I was about 18 - was talking to very dishy father of an ex. I'd always had a secret thing for the father. Anyway - I was there trying hard to be witty and charming and tipped a plate of food down a seated lady's back.

pictish Fri 31-Aug-12 21:10:42

Ohhh definite I would be helpless. grin

I got on a bus one day and sat next to this woman. She nodded towards the young chap opposite who was falling asleep holding a can of energy drink. We watched him lurch back and forth as his grip on the can loosened. Eventually he dropped it on the floor, at which a huge fizzy spume of it shot up and splattered him in the face. He got a big fright and cried out all girlish like. grin

Fuck me, we were in bits.

nannyl Fri 31-Aug-12 21:16:06

euphamia that is hilaroius

i have tears streaming down my face

Im sure it shouldnt be as funny as i am finding it!

GoingforGoingforGOLD Fri 31-Aug-12 21:17:59

proudneathgirl

You're from Neath?

How's the dark arch?

newbroom Fri 31-Aug-12 21:18:44

Yes, I get this too - must be a British thing! Someone asked me if I was pregnant a few years (I wasn't, just fat!) I wasn't hugely offended (thick skin!)but I felt mortified for her! blush For a split second I was tempted to say yes I am pregnant to save her being embarrassed, but then it would have spiralled into a Miranda-style vortex of ridiculous lies, so thought better of it! grin

NellyBluth Fri 31-Aug-12 21:23:37

Pictish, that made me snort my wine water...

I once saw someone trying to get to their seat in a packed cinema, in the dark so they were perfectly silhouetted against the screen, carefully picking their way over everyones's legs... before tripping over and falling flat on their face.

At least 100 people burst out laughing grin

NCForNow Fri 31-Aug-12 21:25:08

I saw a well dressed man fall over dramatically in town....he stood up, looked around the staring and concerned people and said "I FELL!" and walked off. Made me laugh. He was young and unharmed.

Euphemia Fri 31-Aug-12 21:28:34

I FELL What was he, three years old?! (I guess that would have been "I falled". grin)

fuckwittery Fri 31-Aug-12 21:30:29

Yesterday I saw quite a glamorous woman walking ahead of me in London. I was idly admiring her slim figure, and nice sweater tight skirt fancy handbag combo, when I noticed her stockings were falling down! You could just see them with the slit in the back of her skirt, she kept stopping and pulling them up, but eventually they just gave up the battle and were both sagging round her knees, kind of ruined her glam look! We were walking down a really busy street, she kind of hobbled / ran with the stockings round her knees, penguin like to stop them coming down any further, into the next side street where she stopped behind a car presumably to take them off! I felt great sympathy as I once had hold ups fall down on a train but I couldn't help but laugh.

poachedeggs Fri 31-Aug-12 21:31:14

When DS was just over a week old I was out in the garden hanging up a load of vests and sleepsuits while he had a nap. A friend of my mums walked past and called out "Can't be long now?". So I cheerfully told her he was inside in his Moses basket then ran inside to have a cry.

She turned up the following day with a gift, looking very sheepish!

NCForNow Fri 31-Aug-12 21:31:37

Euphimia grin I think it was more in a "What are you looking at? I FELL! SO WHAT!" kind of way.

coffeeinbed Fri 31-Aug-12 21:32:16

the German have a term for this.
It's called Fremdenschaemen - give or take an umlaut or two.

NCForNow Fri 31-Aug-12 21:32:51

Fuckwittery you should have offered her a shilling to twist into the top like they did in the War!

fuckwittery Fri 31-Aug-12 21:37:01

Oh, and one the other day where I felt embarrassed for me and others may have cringed (or alternatively, amused them for the rest of the day). Fell asleep on morning commuter train with head against the window, at a table seat. A really fast train came roaring past our train, making our train shake and wobble, and the fast train also blew its horn just as it passed my window. I was startled awake, violently recoiled from the window, in my sleep I was convinced the train was crashing and we were about to die. Basically tried to get away from the window as fast as I could, so ended up kind up lying sideways across the man next to me. Whilst also letting out a loud shriek. The whole carriage was staring, the man next to me whose morning newspaper reading had been disturbed was not amused. Silent unamused commuters generally except the lady opposite me who was in fits, and even after she finally stopped laughing kept catching my eye and snorting for the rest of the journey. All I could do was laugh helplessly.

ChrisHoysWonderfulThighs Fri 31-Aug-12 21:37:34

Another here who would be the one you laughed at!
The worst was when I was about 34weeks pregnant with dc3 and i got wedged between a van that had parked on the kerb and a wall. blush
Luckily I shouted loud enough for the owner of the van to come out and move it a couple of inches. blush
I then waddled away very quickly befoew the bloke pissed hiself laughing. grin

Not my finest day, it has to be said!!

fuckwittery Fri 31-Aug-12 21:37:40

I was chasing her as I did have safety pins in my bag but it had reached critical point and she was running into the side street before I had a chance!

lurcherlover Fri 31-Aug-12 21:39:47

I was staying at a fairly posh hotel with spa one time, and by the side of the pool they had loungers where people could read the paper etc. one poor woman was reading her book with her legs bent up, her tampon string dangling out of the side of her swimsuit for all to see blush I felt really sorry for her but didn't have the guts to say anything to her...

IShallWearMidnight Fri 31-Aug-12 21:40:20

I watched a yoof with his jeans trendily below his bum try to run, and get all caught up and fall over. I waited till he got up (and was obviously OK ) before I laughed. I deserve bonus points for being nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now