Talk

Advanced search

to be a bit shocked at a sex shop type display in Just Genius which is mostly children's toys?

(77 Posts)
DollyTwat Tue 28-Aug-12 14:37:02

I'm no prude believe me, but I took my dc into Just Genius today which is mostly full of children's toys. The display at the front is toy hamsters in a wheel, etc

At the back, but not out of the way, is a selection of sex toys which I only noticed because I had to wrestle a large pink penis out of ds2's hands!

I commented to the staff that it seemed a bit inappropriate to have Anne Summers type goods in a children's toy shop, they were equally as shocked at my shock.

Am I being a prude or shall I write my first complaint letter ever?

griphook Tue 28-Aug-12 14:43:46

Never heard of the place, but sounds wrong to have both type of toys in the same shop

Paiviaso Tue 28-Aug-12 14:44:01

Well, what kind of shop is this? If it is a novelty gift type shop, then I think YABU. This kind of shop usually has lots of funny/weird/naughty stuff in it.

TiggyD Tue 28-Aug-12 14:45:18

We don't know if the pink penis was a 'humourous' paperweight or a sex toy. We need to see some of the products before deciding whether or not to agree.

BlackberryIce Tue 28-Aug-12 14:48:52

Is there a link? A quick google didn't reveal a children's toy shop

CaptainHetty Tue 28-Aug-12 14:57:37

Most of these gadget type shops have things like that in... Though it's usually shaped novelty items as opposed to actual sex toys like Anne Summers...

DollyTwat Tue 28-Aug-12 14:59:48

I thought they were a chain as there's one in Cheltenham and one in Bristol but I can't find a web site for them, so maybe they aren't very big.

The info on the Arcade web site lists them as a gift shop.

The huge penis was a squashy thing, there was also one that looked like it was a rabbit, they had willy pouches etc. Quite a large selection. I have to admit I didn't get a good look as I was trying to drag ds2 away

I'd have thought they would have made it a little more 'out of the way' when the only other things they sold were children's toys

TraineeBabyCatcher Tue 28-Aug-12 15:00:07

If actual sex toys i would not be happy. I have to say I was surprised to find many large boots stores now sell, and have on display, sex toys- just there like any other product!

DollyTwat Tue 28-Aug-12 15:01:18

I thought they were a chain as there's one in Cheltenham and one in Bristol but I can't find a web site for them, so maybe they aren't very big.

The info on the Arcade web site lists them as a gift shop.

The huge penis was a squashy thing, there was also one that looked like it was a rabbit, they had willy pouches etc. Quite a large selection. I have to admit I didn't get a good look as I was trying to drag ds2 away

I'd have thought they would have made it a little more 'out of the way' when the only other things they sold were children's toys.

Tee2072 Tue 28-Aug-12 15:04:37

"just there like any other product!"

hmm

They are just any other product! FFS sex toys are mainstream these days.

DollyTwat Tue 28-Aug-12 15:07:24

I guess they are just just any other product, just didn't expect to find them next to the electrical hamsters! I wasn't quite ready to tell my ds2 who's 7 what people might want them for

TiggyD Tue 28-Aug-12 15:07:39

Even my local B&Q sells chains and ropes!

Tee2072 Tue 28-Aug-12 15:08:12

grin Tiggy

BlackberryIce Tue 28-Aug-12 15:09:16

It doesn't look like a toy shop though? confused

BlackberryIce Tue 28-Aug-12 15:09:50

And yes, as Tee says, it's all fairly mainstream these days

picnicbasketcase Tue 28-Aug-12 15:12:09

Hawkins Bazaar used to do stuff like penis shaped chocolates and pasta, it was probably something along the same lines. Doubt it was an actual vibrator or anything, but YANBU. Should really have kids stuff and silly adult gifts in different places. Someone might have put it there for a joke confused

DollyTwat Tue 28-Aug-12 15:12:55

the one in Cheltenham looks exactly like a toy shop from the outside, lots of displays of those space hoppers, toy hamsters in wheels, joke stuff etc. Then alongside it this display of dildo's!!

Honestly I am no prude, I'm rarely shocked at anything, I just thought it was inappropriate to have that kind of stuff where kids would find it. I wouldn't take ds2 into Anne Summers.

In Boots at least products are in isles, so I would steer the kids away from one with that type of product.

AndieMatrix Tue 28-Aug-12 15:13:04

It's a gadget/gift shop as opposed to a children's toy shop.
I expect "saucy" novelties in these places. They're normally on a rearward facing shelf.

OddBoots Tue 28-Aug-12 15:13:39

Is it a Hawkin's Bazaar type shop? I always had to guide my children carefully in there to avoid answering awkward questions in public about their "cheeky gifts"

DollyTwat Tue 28-Aug-12 15:14:05

picnic the shop is in the place where Hawkins Bazaar used to be and had exactly the same kind of things in, except this BIG display of sex toys!

DollyTwat Tue 28-Aug-12 15:16:56

OddBoots yes I used to be able to guide my dc too, they were on slightly higher shelves so at least they weren't able to grab it and shout look at this PENIS mummy!

WantChange Tue 28-Aug-12 15:23:15

I had to wrestle a large pink penis out of ds2's hands!

Hahaha, that's something you'd never expect to hear!

KenLeeeeeee Tue 28-Aug-12 15:28:10

Poundstretcher used to have vibrators on their shelves... Same section as the bath towels if memory serves me correctly.

Triggles Tue 28-Aug-12 15:28:42

Ah, I'll have to check out the one in Cheltenham next time I'm in town then. LOL My curiosity is killing me now. grin

Naysa Tue 28-Aug-12 15:44:28

YABU they're not children's toy shops, they're novelty gift shops.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now