Talk

Advanced search

Cerazette - anyone?

(60 Posts)
Fakershakermaker Mon 27-Aug-12 07:15:20

Not so much an AIBU but am posting here as this is the most used page. I hope someone can help?

I've started cerazette after many years off the pill. I started it on day 4 of my period, had a few clear days and am now into day 10 of continual spotting. Is this normal - tbh this spotting is getting me down. I haven't yet finished my first pack - am wondering how long I should persevere before going back to the doc ?

Googlemania Mon 27-Aug-12 07:46:57

I'm thinking about switching to cerazette so am keen to see everyone's experiences whilst on it.

OP - the spotting must be exhausting. I hope it settles soon.

SammyB30 Mon 27-Aug-12 07:49:23

Is cerazette a mini pill?

cucumbereyes Mon 27-Aug-12 07:50:02

I've been using Cerazatte for the past 6 months and have had no bleeding at all. I just had a 3 month check and one of the questions the nurse asked was whether I had had any bleeding when I shouldn't have. Perhaps you should pop in to check that all is OK?

I haven't noticed any side effects of using this pill and am going to continue with it.

origamirose Mon 27-Aug-12 07:50:54

It took about 3 months for the spotting to stop for me. During that time i also felt quite nauseous in the mornings (not a recognized side effect). Now everything is fine and I haven't had a period for 10 months.

SeagullsAreLikeThat Mon 27-Aug-12 07:52:12

I have just come off Cerazette as after about 4 weeks on it my hair started falling out. Plus I had not continuous bleeding but completely random bleeding, sometimes light, sometimes really heavy but couldn't predict at all when it would happen. If it hadn't been for the hair loss I would probably have persevered but when I Googled it I found enough negative experiences to not want to continue.

I do think with any hormonal contraception though that it really depends on the individual so much. I have done brilliantly on pills that others have hated and vice versa but this one was definitely not for me.

MavisGrind28 Mon 27-Aug-12 07:52:23

I think spotting isn't unusual with Cerazette but I've been on it for years and no longer bleed at all, a plus as far as I'm concerned. From memory it took a few cycles to settle so I'd persevere.

alwaysmyfault Mon 27-Aug-12 07:56:41

I also had spotting for the whole of the second pack then it stopped. I also felt very nauseous with headaches every morning for the first month which has cleared up. I very nearly gave up but am fairly happy with it…apart from lack of libido!

mrsmoodypants Mon 27-Aug-12 07:57:47

When i took it I had bleeding three weeks out of four....total pain but great for contraception as I wouldn't let Dh anywhere near!!!

LiegeAndLief Mon 27-Aug-12 07:58:00

Yes it's usual, I think for up to 6 months (unless I'm confusing it with Mirena). I had to come off it after two months as my spotting progressed into unpredictable very heavy bleeding which I just couldn't deal with. Hope yours settles down soon.

mrsmoodypants Mon 27-Aug-12 07:58:28

Gave up after two months....

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 27-Aug-12 08:00:15

I bleed a lot on cerazette but because of my age they won't give me the combined pill any more and I don't want the coil.

Fakershakermaker Mon 27-Aug-12 08:01:16

Thanks ladies - will persevere for a little while longer - may phone my doctor for advice in the meantime.

Am pissed off at the moment tho - whole point of taking it is to have worry free fun - this spotting is preventing that. Bah.

fluffygal Mon 27-Aug-12 08:01:38

It uses the same hormone as mirena so they both do similar things. I am on it. Before DD2 I didn't bleed at all, now I have a period lasting about a week every 3 weeks. I'm assuming it will calm down eventually though.

BartletForTeamGB Mon 27-Aug-12 08:13:01

I used after DS's birth. I was BFing so that also probably helped with the no bleeding, but I had no problems at all with it and no bleeding.

Shutupanddrive Mon 27-Aug-12 08:15:13

I also had spotting for the first few months with this pill. It's fine now and I don't have a period at all

Ouchdownthere Mon 27-Aug-12 08:39:11

Completely random bleeding and hairloss here too. I would change but still breastfeeding DS so was given this and haven't checked out alterntive options.

That said, the random bleeding and DS night wakings have put me right off the intimates quite frankly.

buggyRunner Mon 27-Aug-12 08:43:06

I'm on it and about to give it up 3 weeks in and a 7lb gain! confused anyone got a contraceptive that doesn't put weight on?

Waspie Mon 27-Aug-12 08:46:06

I went onto Cerazette while I was breastfeeding. At first I thought the constant spotting and light bleeding was was just my body getting back to normal but after 2 years I couldn't make excuses any more. I stopped taking Cerazette and have normal periods again - I could never be persuaded to use it again.

KrakowsDaughter Mon 27-Aug-12 08:50:42

I had no bleeding at all with Cerazette but did put on weight so I came off it just over a week ago so am waiting for my first period. It looks like everyone reacts differently to it so best to get it checked out, although it will probably settle down soon.

JobCarHouseNoBaby Mon 27-Aug-12 08:56:52

Went onto cerazette in March, haven't had a sniff of a period since which is amazing! But have been shedding a lot of hair lately and didn't realise that might be a side effect

BlackOutTheSun Mon 27-Aug-12 09:04:08

I was on that had no side effects and no bleeding. Still got pregnant on it.

ElizaBecca Mon 27-Aug-12 09:07:27

I was a nurse consultant for contraceptive health before DD and all of the above is normal. Each woman responds differently to the hormones and this readily and frequently changes as we age and after each pregnancy. Spotting can take up to 6months to settle if it is going to, and as long as infection has been ruled out, it's safe to let it be and settle. Just a suggestion - try and make sure you take the pill at the same time each day, as although it is effective evenif not taken exactly at the same time, sometimes the spotting can settle with very regular pill taking. Hope it works for you as its one of the safest contraceptive options out there x

MrsRobertDuvallHasRosacea Mon 27-Aug-12 09:07:43

Dd was on it for 5 months as she had very heavy periods.

She had a virtual non stop bleed for 4 months on it.

She is now off it.

The dr told us about 25% of women have this..it may or may not settle down.

NeedlesCuties Mon 27-Aug-12 09:23:21

I went on it after PFB was born as I was breastfeeding him.

Didn't bleed at all for 10 months then suddenly I had really heavy flow for +2 months sad Went to GP who took me off it, said it was just bad luck that it affected me like that. He also checked my blood to see what my iron levels were - all was fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now