Talk

Advanced search

To think it's blardy impossible to find decent lunch boxes for the DC?

(50 Posts)
badtasteflump Thu 23-Aug-12 11:23:47

Boring I know but I need to rant grin

All I want is a couple of hard plastic lunch boxes (ie not made of that squashy soft 'insulating' stuff because you can't wash that type properly and they always go stinky).

They need to be big enough to fit everything in (ie sandwiches, a drink, a teeny box for fruit/cheese/etc and a packet of crisps (so shoot me blush). They need to have one big compartment, not lots of annoying little ones which take ages to dry after washing every night.

How hard can it be? I've tried all the supermarkets & obvious online places (Amazon, etc). FFS I haven't even started on new uniforms/rucksacks/shoes yet.....

MrsReiver Thu 23-Aug-12 11:28:10

DS uses this lunchbox from Sistema. We got it from Asda.

It comes with a wee bottle in it, the two small compartments on the top are perfect for a small cereal bar or box/bag of dried fruit. The large space takes a sandwich and a packet of crisps (shoot me at the same time.)

It all comes apart really easily so is no problem to wash and dry in the evening.

JarethTheGoblinKing Thu 23-Aug-12 11:32:21

Is something like this too boring?

Or you could go retro with something like this wink

Bog standard lunchbox with handle

BornToFolk Thu 23-Aug-12 11:36:55

You know that you can stick those insulated ones in the washing machine, don't you? I've got one (just a cheapy one, Poundland special!) and I wash it every week and it never gets stinky.

Trills Thu 23-Aug-12 11:39:24

YAB a bit U to try to hide your "find me a lunchbox" thread as an AIBU.

Trills Thu 23-Aug-12 11:39:50

Maybe this will help

JarethTheGoblinKing Thu 23-Aug-12 11:40:38

grin @ Trills

MrsKeithRichards Thu 23-Aug-12 11:41:14

Why does one do the hard old school o.es anymore!

badtasteflump Thu 23-Aug-12 11:42:00

Ooh thanks for the suggestions! I must be crap at searching online blush

Born I explained it badly - I have washed that type before, but I find they then very quickly start to split & fall apart - however if I can get one in poundland I might not mind! How much were those ones? grin

Trills Thu 23-Aug-12 11:42:09

Or this?

WilfSell Thu 23-Aug-12 11:43:17

I've only just realised the padded ones don't die if you chuck em in the washing machine blush

It has REVOLUTIONISED my life. grin

JarethTheGoblinKing Thu 23-Aug-12 11:45:23

Stop it at once Trills! shock

wink

badtasteflump Thu 23-Aug-12 11:46:45

MrsKeith I did find one hard one in an oldey worldey toy shop, all covered in dust but otherwise ok - but it was a 'The Flumps' one which my DC had never heard of grin

Trills - I wouldn't mind using that to store my sandwiches but I would be worried they might come out a bit squashed and sweaty confused

MrsKeithRichards Thu 23-Aug-12 11:47:03

Oh my fucking god you did not just post that did you?!

badtasteflump Thu 23-Aug-12 11:47:21

Ew Trills just to make it clear - I wasn't referring to the Terry Wogan one!

I really didn't need to see that shock

quoteunquote Thu 23-Aug-12 11:47:39

these are brilliant, either keep your food really hot or cold, wash really well, everyone in our family use them every day, It means you can have really lovely food

Feminine Thu 23-Aug-12 11:50:58

Why not try ordinary plastic storage boxes,

a bit like the ones we all used to take to school? smile

I think they are only a pound-ish from any supermarket.

Easy to wash each night smile

Bintang Thu 23-Aug-12 11:53:15

Wilf! Where've ya been?

Flump- have you honestly just asked born how much the Poundland lunchboxes are? <boggles>

You must be under a lot of stress... grin

badtasteflump Thu 23-Aug-12 11:58:34

bitang I was joking about the price grin

My mum always picks stuff up in Poundland and asks me how much it is smile

badtasteflump Thu 23-Aug-12 12:01:15

Trills backatcha!

badtasteflump Thu 23-Aug-12 12:01:28

Sorry blush

WilfSell Thu 23-Aug-12 12:04:39

bintang, I've been away in that Scary Place Called Real Life, but something drew me back and now I can't get away again...

Possibly the number of people this week who have asked how much things cost in Poundland grin

Scholes34 Thu 23-Aug-12 12:10:31

These bags by Concentrate are excellent - www.concentrate.org.uk/catalog/index.php?manufacturers_id=10&sort=2a&filter_id=23.

You can get them on Amazon or in John Lewis and you can buy just the outer bag for about a tenner. DD is about to start the fifth year of using hers. They can be washed and stretch to fit loads in - we use various plastic pots. Have one for DS1 and am about to order another for DS2 who's about to start secondary.

BornToFolk Thu 23-Aug-12 12:28:05

to be fair, you can sometimes get things two-fer-a-pound in Poundland. Not lunchbags though, sadly.

Trills Thu 23-Aug-12 12:50:31

Who's that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now