Talk

Advanced search

I'm not sure if I am Re a charity shop

(170 Posts)
iknowwho Mon 13-Aug-12 18:13:07

Over the weekend we had a massive clearout and today I have taken 5 large bin sacks to the local charity shop.
All the stuff in them was washed and ironed except for the shirts that still had labels and price tags on - They were just ironed.

Lots of nice stuff. Dropped it off and the two ladies said thank you. Just on my way out a jacket caught my eye for £3.
I had no cash on me and just said 'is there any chance I could have that jacket please?' The ladies got flustered and said kept asking each other in a Chuckle brother style ' What do you think' 'don't know, what do you think' then eventually one said ' I suppose so'

There were 9 shirts that are this season that had labels on that cost more than £20. (DH buys stuff, doesn't quite fit, loses receipt and then forgets sometimes) , nice gift box sets of toiletries etc.

I felt like I was asking for something hugely precious!!

HecateHarshPants Mon 13-Aug-12 18:15:01

I think you were actually. I don't mean to sound nasty, but I don't know how else to phrase it blush it's not a swap shop. They are trying to raise money and every penny counts.

RatherBeACyborg Mon 13-Aug-12 18:15:07

YABU. It's a charity shop. You could have asked for them to put it back for you and gone back later and paid. What if everyone going in wanted something in return for donating?

JumpingThroughHoops Mon 13-Aug-12 18:15:41

It's a charity shop, not a barter and swap shop.

Sorry but YABU

usualsuspect Mon 13-Aug-12 18:15:46

YABU charity shops are not swap shops.

ginmakesitallok Mon 13-Aug-12 18:16:11

YABU - like Hecate said it's not a swap shop

danteV Mon 13-Aug-12 18:17:02

Omg yabvu. Its a charity swap not a clothes trade in. Who cares if the clothes you left are this seasons. Yabu and a bit stingy.

iknowwho Mon 13-Aug-12 18:17:04

Fair enough!
It was just an impulse thing and it is a place that I don't pass.
It isn't on my way to any where but because it is easier parking outside it tends to my charity shop of choice to drop things off.

They will be getting the jacket back in a few months anyway!!! grin

cornybootseeker Mon 13-Aug-12 18:17:28

I think that's quite cheeky actually! You should have asked them to put it behind the counter and then paid for it later.

usualsuspect Mon 13-Aug-12 18:17:43

I wouldn't have let you have it if I worked there

RindersGoesForGold Mon 13-Aug-12 18:17:47

YABU. It's a charity shop not a swap shop. You should have asked if they wouldn't mind holding it back for you while you popped home to get some money.

PedanticPanda Mon 13-Aug-12 18:18:12

Yabu sorry.

RindersGoesForGold Mon 13-Aug-12 18:20:04

Just seen that you did take it shock

If parking is easy, then I would just stop by and give them the £3 in the next couple of days. Say your conscience bit you on the bum and look a little blush about it all.

LurkingAndLearningLovesCats Mon 13-Aug-12 18:20:27

Wow. Just..Wow.

YWBVVU.

nittyclitty Mon 13-Aug-12 18:21:10

YABU
Why didn't you ask them to put it aside for you and return later with the money and collect.

RuleBritannia Mon 13-Aug-12 18:21:11

<Sigh> I went to a Sue Ryder charity shop today and took a box of ornaments. I always ask if there are any clip-on earrings because it's almost impossible to buy them new these day. I gave the box of ornaments and bought four pairs of earrings for £3.80. For Heaven's sake. If you want something available on sale at a charity chop, pay for it!

Sparklingbrook Mon 13-Aug-12 18:23:13

I am shock. For all they knew your 5 bin bags could have been full of crapola items.

I would get down there tomorrow with the £3 if I were you.

kilmuir Mon 13-Aug-12 18:24:04

They are trying to make money for a charity, why should you get it for free because you have donated some stuff.

soverylucky Mon 13-Aug-12 18:26:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

iknowwho Mon 13-Aug-12 18:26:28

Ok I hear you!! It was impulsive and I'm never cheeky. Not sure what came over me tbh!!

If parking is easy, then I would just stop by and give them the £3 in the next couple of days Nah.... It would cost more in petrol than £3. It's miles out of my way. I only go there otherwise it would cost £4.20 in town centre parking for the ones near me.

Why didn't you ask them to put it aside for you and return later with the money and collect. For the reason stated above
I wouldn't have let you have it if I worked there Fair enough - I probably would have been the same and then muttered 'cheeky cow!!

iknowwho Mon 13-Aug-12 18:28:00

I only go there otherwise it would cost £4.20 in town centre parking for the ones near me.......... and then have to lug a load of bags across town.

mellowcat Mon 13-Aug-12 18:30:36

Could you send a cheque with a note?

iknowwho Mon 13-Aug-12 18:32:17

Could you send a cheque with a note?
I haven't had a cheque book since 2005!

I am not going to beat myself up over 3 quid.
I was just asking if IWBU and I accept I am!

thisisyesterday Mon 13-Aug-12 18:33:03

agree with everyone else sorry. i would take the £3 in. or post it to them.

Sparklingbrook Mon 13-Aug-12 18:33:48

Plus tell your DH to keep the receipts and take stuff back because buying 9 shirts that don't fit is just weird.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now