Talk

Advanced search

To think Dyson is a crock of shit and if we buy a vacuum cleaner it should actually clean?!

(97 Posts)
CharminglyOdd Tue 24-Jul-12 14:38:32

ARGH!!! I had a tech teacher at school about ten years ago who raved about Dyson. I had the misfortune to believe her so when our vacuum cleaner packed up not long after we moved in together, I persuaded DP to buy a Dyson City Vacuum Cleaner as we live in a small flat and have no DCs or pets... it should have been able to cope perfectly.

My student Henry Hoover, which had survived god-knows-how-many undergrads before me and came with the house was actually better than this piece of junk.

I am not even halfway through hoovering and I have already had to pick threads off the floor (one small bathroom, one hallway) because I might as well just be waving my hand over the carpet for all the suction this machine has. Last time I hoovered (have been away, so maybe a month ago) I took the whole thing apart and cleaned it thoroughly, thinking that might be the problem. It's not. It's still shit and as DP bought it over eBay a year ago we just have to suck it up or not.

Every time I get the Dyson out I spend the time giving myself back ache and furiously composing a letter to James Dyson in my head. I cannot wait until it breaks and I can give up on Dyson for ever. What makes it even worse is that our LLs have cream carpets so every single speck of hair, thread or dirt shows. I'm going to be at this for the rest of the afternoon picking at the carpet by hand... <cries>

IHeartKingThistle Tue 24-Jul-12 14:42:10

Oh I just hated ours. Have gone back to a bagged vacuum now - a Sebo - and I love it. We have had it months (inc. quite heavy use, cars etc. and during building work) and have changed the bag twice. The bloody bagless had to be emptied every week and more often than not I'd have to get my hand in amongst all the fluff to hoik it out <boak>

And mine actually SUCKS! In the GOOD way! grin

Rant away. You'll find a lot of support on here!

CharminglyOdd Tue 24-Jul-12 14:43:44

I just called my neighbour (housebound with ill DC) and she has offered me a loan of hers for this afternoon - what an angel! I am really looking forward to it not taking me hours --and then I can go over for a cup of tea and a natter--grin

twolittlemonkeys Tue 24-Jul-12 14:44:11

YANBU. They are soooo overrated. We had one, it was rubbish. Had to replace the motor twice, and it was still ineffective. Have a much cheaper Vax now and it works very well. In fact, even the super cheap, lasted a year £20 vacuum cleaner we bought from an end of line catalogue shop was better than the Dyson. Overrated junk.

Springhasarrived Tue 24-Jul-12 14:45:40

You poor thing. I have never had a Dyson as I have so many friends have said just the same as you.
Next time buy a Sebo. Brilliant. I hadnt even heard of these, but researched customer satisfaction on Amazon. This is the return to the paper bag. Its brilliant, you dont have to look at the crap that has come off your floors, nor do you have to be breathing it all in when you tip it out into the bin. It never seems to lose suction even when the bag is pretty full.
Right, as it is my day off better get using said Sebo and not hanging about on MN. blush

Thecunningstunt Tue 24-Jul-12 14:46:28

We buy vax too. They are brilliant...when it breaks they send out replacement parts and tell you how to fix it if it's not to hard etc. our fan belt thing broke once due to a toy and they replaced it for us even though the Hoover was two years old. Hoover was only £40

Springhasarrived Tue 24-Jul-12 14:47:09

Ha, crossed posts! Another Sebo fan. grin

fruitysummer Tue 24-Jul-12 14:47:40

Dyson's are shit, yanbu.

I complained every time we had to use ours and I also 'vacnapped' my mums but had to give it back to her eventually (she has 2)

We finally had some spare cash for new vac buying last month. Got a hoover from Argos, was on sale and I bloody love it.

It's marvelous and my carpets and car look brand new [happy]

choccyp1g Tue 24-Jul-12 14:48:07

YANBU

"no loss of suction" ha ha, becaue you can't lose what was never there in the first place.

paradisechick Tue 24-Jul-12 14:50:10

<hugs her henry>

MrsMangoBiscuit Tue 24-Jul-12 14:53:15

I love our Dyson, so there! <pokes out tongue>

RedHelenB Tue 24-Jul-12 14:57:09

love Dysons & the 5 year guarantee is great. Clean up cat hairs great but I* do have the upright one.

lynniep Tue 24-Jul-12 14:59:18

I agree. ours is sh*t. I'm considering putting it on ebay and buying one we can actually use. Its a DC27 BTW. I can't believe we spent over £200 quid on it. We splashed out because we seem to go through one every couple of years.
What a waste of dosh sad

Salmotrutta Tue 24-Jul-12 14:59:51

I also love my Dyson - so there too!

<also pokes tongue out>

I had a Vax and it was just OK.

The dust and fluff that came out of the carpet after I changed to the Dyson from the Vax was unbelievable - even though the carpets looked clean.

Naoko Tue 24-Jul-12 15:00:30

YANBU, I lived in various student houses where the LL provided a Dyson (probably in some kind of vain hope hoovering might occur if the gadget provided was fancy enough...) and they were never any good.

When my hoover broke a few months back (two hours before a MIL visit, of course....) I was dead broke so I picked up a £40 Tesco branded one. My carpets have never been this clean. If the suction gets any stronger they'll be reporting a very local hurricane on the news.

CharminglyOdd Tue 24-Jul-12 15:10:21

Well I am back with the neighbour's hoover and just received an email offering me my first job interview in four months, so my afternoon is looking up slightly grin

KellyElly Tue 24-Jul-12 15:13:57

I love my Dyson. I've got the one for pet hairs and its great!

NervousAt20 Tue 24-Jul-12 15:20:42

<<sneaks in>>

I love my dyson ball, is great with pet hairs grin

<<sneaks out>>

Frontline Tue 24-Jul-12 15:24:06

Clean your filters.

CharminglyOdd Tue 24-Jul-12 15:28:55

I gave the whole thing a thorough clean, everything I could take apart. Hmm. Will google filters and check I also cleaned those.

PoppyWearer Tue 24-Jul-12 15:30:56

We had a couple of Dysons over the years, both broke.

We now have a Which-recommended Bosch with a bag.

reluctanttownie Tue 24-Jul-12 15:32:51

Oh at last some people with sense!! Dyson are AAAAAWWWWWWFUL. And yet every other human being I have encountered in RL thinks they're wonderful. DH had one years ago - no suction whatsoever. LL in our first rented flat had one too - first time we turned it on it actually vomited dust all over the carpet. We promptly went and bought a Miele and have never looked back.

Plus, what is the fuss about bagless vacuums in general? Why would I NOT want a bag? Why would I want to take the lid off a little canister of dust and attempt to empty it into a bin while it wafts dust back in my face and all over the surfaces I have just cleaned, when instead I could have a lovely little bag that seals itself up and doesn't get a speck of dust anywhere? Lunacy.

PostBellumBugsy Tue 24-Jul-12 15:38:25

OP did you buy a second hand one off ebay? I tried this & was really, really disappointed. It was clear to me that it was a reconstruction of bits of Dysons & the motor was clapped out. There was also a whole series of tiny splits in the hose, that were very difficult to see on first inspection but these were clearly letting air out & preventing good suction. It was definitely a false economy.

I have bought two new Dysons in the last 15 years & they have been genuinely good - really powerful suction.

fluffyraggies Tue 24-Jul-12 15:38:44

I had a Dyson about 10 years ago, upright one, and it was a brilliant sucker - BUT the hose bit kept splitting.

Now i have a Henry. I use it bagless! NOTHING sucks as hard as a bagless Henry trust me grin

(and it's tough as old boots)

nickelbarapasaurus Tue 24-Jul-12 15:40:10

wouldn't bother - my friend had one and she loved it.
i cleaned with it at her house a few times. bloody clunky thing that takes a 3-year apprenticeship to learn how to use, and didn't pick anything up.

i currently have a panasonic, but i had a vax for many years which was fabulous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now