Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Do your parent's approve of your occupation?

(58 Posts)
overtherooftops Thu 05-Jul-12 00:06:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

overtherooftops Thu 05-Jul-12 00:07:42

WorraLiberty Thu 05-Jul-12 00:12:06

It all depends on what you do and how much you are earning to be honest....well not exactly 'how much' but whether or not it's enough to live on.

I've known a couple of people who have worked from home and made a decent living but I've known many, many more who are (to be honest) doing little other than a hobby and making a token earning...but they seem to see it as a career when in reality, they're being carried by their DP's earnings.

ImperialBlether Thu 05-Jul-12 00:13:35

This really made me laugh.

Do you have a DH? Could he answer the phone and say, "Yes, you're right, the bookies is just up her street. I'm going to get her insured up to the hilt and then she's going to send off her cv. Win win, eh, parents?"

VolAuVent Thu 05-Jul-12 00:20:39

Of course it's possible to work from home. How do your parents think those running a business from home (and there are many who are the main breadwinner) keep a roof over their head? confused I'm sure watching daytime TV and drinking coffee all day is the reason they have food and somewhere to live (NOT!)

I can't think of anyone I know approving more of me working in a bookies than working from home TBH.

overtherooftops Thu 05-Jul-12 00:23:41

ilovesooty Thu 05-Jul-12 00:24:20

When I moved into drug intervention my mother was horrified and told me she was too ashamed to tell the neighbours what I did for a living.

GetOrfMoiiLand Thu 05-Jul-12 00:24:33

Some poor woman in the bookies down the road get punched in the kisser a few weeks ago.

It must be a grim place to work.

overtherooftops Thu 05-Jul-12 00:27:16

ImperialBlether Thu 05-Jul-12 00:29:31

Quite a funny story here about someone ineffectually holding up a bookies.

overtherooftops Thu 05-Jul-12 00:29:40

overtherooftops Thu 05-Jul-12 00:31:04

Lueji Thu 05-Jul-12 00:36:22

Maybe they meant you should be raiding the bookies. wink

GetOrfMoiiLand Thu 05-Jul-12 00:37:01

Tell him to get a job in a bookies.

I wouldn't want my dd to get a job in those places. It must be grim.

The job you have been offered sounds great - well done.

Just nod and smile at your dad 'yeeeees dad' grin

GetOrfMoiiLand Thu 05-Jul-12 00:37:01

Tell him to get a job in a bookies.

I wouldn't want my dd to get a job in those places. It must be grim.

The job you have been offered sounds great - well done.

Just nod and smile at your dad 'yeeeees dad' grin

overtherooftops Thu 05-Jul-12 00:38:58

lovebunny Thu 05-Jul-12 00:46:31

i think they approve of my being a teacher - it took away some of the sting of my divorce, for them. and my impeccable (ie solitary) conduct since divorce worked for them, too. but as i'm estranged from them - again - it doesn't matter really.

overtherooftops Thu 05-Jul-12 00:53:19

Fantail Thu 05-Jul-12 06:25:47

My parents don't understand what I do, so don't really ask about my job, nor I am sure have they ever felt proud of what I do. I have a first class honours degree and have just been headhunted to a new position.

My sister is a lawyer and brother an engineer. Clear cut and easy to understand. Perhaps that is it?

Tee2072 Thu 05-Jul-12 06:44:48

Not really. I'm a graphic designer. I freelance and work from home.

I assure you, Worra, it is not a hobby, even though my husband is the main earner in our house.

Glittertwins Thu 05-Jul-12 06:46:35

DH's job is based from home and he has a very good occupation and salary. Not quite in the same league as some on here but well over national average. We would all be very pissed off if he thought the bookies was a better career option. Thankfully none of them here have ad any trouble though, well not that it has been reported.

limitedperiodonly Thu 05-Jul-12 07:00:40

Parents: it's their job to have no idea about yours.

Ignore it and try to remember it's because they worry about you and probably have stunted horizons.

Hard to see how they think that having a shotgun pressed up your nose wouldn't be a worry though grin.

My entire family has it - inlaws included. Congratulations on the new job btw.

fivegomadindorset Thu 05-Jul-12 07:04:13

I think mine find it quite entertaining to say I work in a prison.

Chandon Thu 05-Jul-12 07:07:14

it depends a bit on the job OP!

If the old job you enjoyed was, say stripper, the "bookies" would be preferred by many parents!

Working from home is fine, I am a translator, so I do too smile

How old are you? (I found I did not mind what my parents thought of my life choices after....about age 25 or so)

limitedperiodonly Thu 05-Jul-12 07:08:15

imperial armed robbers who do over bookies seem to be a special kind of moron.

I knew of one who went on a hold-up with a cucumber in a brown paper bag. The end of the cucumber was poking out and the cashier laughed at him.

His excuse in court was that he couldn't afford a gun and the penalty for vegetable-based crime would be less.

The judge explained that the intent to put people in fear of their lives was still there, 5-a-day benefits aside.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now