To want to keep my tumble dryer in my bedroom????

(107 Posts)
unlucky67 Sun 01-Jul-12 15:36:26

A few years ago while having a new kitchen fitted I put my condenser tumble dryer into my bedroom as a temporary measure....
It is still there - I love it there - think it is the best place for it...(got a separate freezer to fill its space in the kitchen!)
I sit on my bed while I sort out the socks /fold and sort into piles on the bed for distribution around the house - often put my things straight into the drawer....
It also generates heat (and is a good condenser -so I don't get condensation etc) - makes bedroom nice and toasty in winter - sometimes wait to put it on until bathtime then get youngest one dressed in there ...
My mum hates it - I don't really know why - 'you don't keep a tumble dryer in a bedroom'

Now have a new house that needs work and was talking to my mum about where to put things - it has a cloakroom/utility room area downstairs next to a loo - and was talking about redesigning it and said I would leave room for a tumble dryer (for if we ever sell) but think I'd rather have it in my bedroom if I can -
She went absolutely mad at me ....put the phone down...how could I be so stupid, why do I want to ruin a nice house etc etc ...
So is it that mad? Can anyone see why I might prefer it there?
(Would be better if it didn't look so like a kitchen appliance - maybe a business opportunity - make ones that look more at home in a bedroom?)

ChaosTrulyReigns Sun 01-Jul-12 15:38:28

Makes perfect sense to me.

When we finally redesign this house I'm having WM and TD upstairs - save all that lugging around.

SoleSource Sun 01-Jul-12 15:39:05

YANBU do whatever works for you. Your Mother from what you have written is being unreasonable. Your house, life your choice.

DozyDuck Sun 01-Jul-12 15:39:15

Mines in my bedroom grin I love it! I like the noise when I'm falling asleep and I like how warm it is

AlmostAHipster Sun 01-Jul-12 15:39:31

Mine's in the garage which is a pain but doesn't the noise of it disturb your neighbours?

ChunkyPickle Sun 01-Jul-12 15:39:36

Nope, I like keeping the relevant machines next to the storage for what's using them. Why muck about carting washing around the place if you don't have to (although moving the washing machine probably isn't an option.

I knew someone who had the utility room off their master bedroom and it worked perfectly for her.

emsyj Sun 01-Jul-12 15:40:56

If it suits you to have it there then YANBU! I noticed when visiting my DSis in Italy years ago that lots of her friends seemed to have washing machines in the bathroom rather than the kitchen - which really makes perfect sense. Washing goes with washing, not with cooking - and you don't have to run up and down stairs with heavy baskets of laundry.

Bestb411pm Sun 01-Jul-12 15:42:08

As it's a condensing one I personally don't see the problem it does make, nice air fresher to if you like the smell of washing!

Is it purely an aesthetic thing for your mum? I wonder if you had a built in wardrobe it could live in she'd feel differently?

Either way it's a daft thing to get mithered about. Put your microwave on your bedside table next time she's round and see what happens wink

ClaireBunting Sun 01-Jul-12 15:42:09

It has nothing to do with your mom.

It makes a lot do sense to have your laundry facilities upstairs.

takingiteasy Sun 01-Jul-12 15:42:54

It does make more sense when you think about it although I'd have to cover it and put something pretty on top!

Bestb411pm Sun 01-Jul-12 15:42:57

*it does make a nice air freshened too....

Snowboarder Sun 01-Jul-12 15:45:05

Sounds sensible to me. I think if someone mapped how we use our homes (I'm thinking this probably has been done at some point) they'd see that having the utility area downstairs results in a colossal waste of time and energy.

I live in a 3 storey house and am up and down the stairs hundreds of times per day. Clothes off, laundry basket, sort, lug down 2 flights of stairs, wash, dry, fold, iron (if I can be bothered which is never ), back up two flights of stairs, put away.

Would be much better to do everything on the one floor. Your mum clearly doesn't have your innovative streak!

Btw I love the idea of using the warmth too - might as well use every bit of energy you can given that tumble drying isn't exactly an Eco-option. I also think listeninging to lots of socks being gently tumbled must be v.v.soothing but that could just be me grin

DozyDuck Sun 01-Jul-12 15:45:29

You can probably hear the noise of mine through the walls to my neighbours bedroom but it drowns out his loud speakers on his pc so I think he's quite happy that he doesn't have to think about his noise as he was very worried when he first moved in

Littlemissimpatient Sun 01-Jul-12 15:46:39

Mine is in our spare room and it works well. Only pain is carrying wet washing upstairs! As you said I just wished it looked a little nicer. Yanbu by the way, your house so put what you want where you want.

Frikadellen Sun 01-Jul-12 15:48:41

we had washingmachine and tumbledrier in our bathroom in the last house we had I loved it

bigbadbarry Sun 01-Jul-12 15:50:48

I stayed in a hoiday cottage once with washing machine in the (upstairs) bathroom and it was so sensible, if I had space I would do it myself. YANBU.

peeriebear Sun 01-Jul-12 15:57:10

I used to have mine on the landing as it was literally the only space for it (and it was still in the fecking way!) It was very good for putting laundry straight into drawers though. Only bugbear was taking the wet washing upstairs but my house is tiny so it's not that far.

unlucky67 Sun 01-Jul-12 16:03:41

Glad to see I'm not the only one...so not that mad....smile
Did worry about the noise in current terraced house (I can hear it downstairs) but apparently neighbour on that side can't and I don't use it later than 10pm....
New house is detached - planning on putting the washing machine on/hoovering/ singing in loud voice in the middle of the night - just for the hell of it...(my children can sleep though anything) -well at least till novelty wears off...
Thought about putting it in the box room - but love the bed as nice big sorting table...and convenience of being near the drawers...

ChitChatFlyingby Sun 01-Jul-12 16:08:59

Keep it in your bedroom if you want, and you are being sensible to leave 'potential' room for it downstairs for if/when you sell. I wouldn't want one in my bedroom though and would want it downstairs somewhere, and would look at that if I were buying a house.

Fizzylemonade Sun 01-Jul-12 16:13:46

I have a cupboard upstairs ear marked for washing machine and tumble drier in the future and I have a utility room.

Very sensible to have them upstairs as that is usually where most people take their clothes off. Why lug it downstairs and then back upstairs.

Spare room??? (mine is the office) but I would have it as a laundry/ironing room, <goes off dreaming of that>

Nanny0gg Sun 01-Jul-12 16:14:41

The only potentiial problem I can think of is the danger of fire. You are more likely to notice if it happened and the drier was downstairs I think.

And it does happen; all that fluff - even if you keep the filters clean. Ours did, but we spotted it in time.

Convert Sun 01-Jul-12 16:15:04

My Mom is forever criticising things like this, my kitchen hasn't got room to put the waste pipe for the dishwasher in so I have like a storage box for the hose to go in. This drives her fucking mental. I couldn't give a shit about emptying a tub if it means I don't have to wash up!
Tell her that's how you like it and if she's not using it then it's nothing to do with her grin

Viviennemary Sun 01-Jul-12 16:18:17

When I first read the heading. I thought madness!!!!! Shows how conditioned I am. Tumble driers go in kitchens or utility rooms or if not enough space in garages. Why?? Who knows. If it suits you to have the t/d in the bedroom then why not.

mumcanihavearabbit Sun 01-Jul-12 16:23:47

Convert- I too have no waste pipe for the dishwasher, I can swap the washing machin over and use one at a time, or use an old plastic toy box and have them going together. Mum hates it, I see it as getting the job done in less time!

Shullbit Sun 01-Jul-12 16:25:51

I have my tumble dryer in my bedroom too. DP keeps hinting to have it transferred back to the kitchen, but I find my hearing suddenly goes on me when he does said hinting...

I like it in their for the same reason as you. Lovely and warm in there, and I can use the bed to fold/organise everything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now