Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

50 shades of grey

(220 Posts)
PatheticTrumpet Fri 15-Jun-12 20:57:51

WIBU to download it to my kindle tonight to see what all the fuss is about possibly get in THE mood ?

JimmyMacWhenAreYouComingBack Fri 15-Jun-12 21:01:26

Im on chapter 9. Christian Grey is a moody prick so far, I am not getting why so many are "swooning" over him. Its like a teen book with an adult theme.

WhereMyMilk Fri 15-Jun-12 21:02:02

It's shit, and badly written shit at that <bites lip>

If you can bear reading that every few pages..

Made me wonder whether I had missed out on some great sexual adventure, as have never bitten my lip in excitement at the thought...grin

backwardpossom Fri 15-Jun-12 21:02:27

It's badly written shite. I still read it though. Just to see what the fuss was all about, you understand.

MrsHelsBels74 Fri 15-Jun-12 21:05:18

It's terrible, more likely to get you annoyed with how rubbish it is than get you into the mood for a bit of slap & tickle.

nosleepwithworry Fri 15-Jun-12 21:05:27

Really really crapola, honestly shit.

wouldnt bother.

MaeMobley Fri 15-Jun-12 21:10:11

So what is all the fuss about? I saw something in the paper about women in the US going to hardware stores to buy bondage stuff?

It's awful. If you read anything better than Front mag on a regular basis you will hate it.

SO badly written it's the sort of thing I'd expect from a 15 year old who has never actually had sex, the characters are ridiculous (a 21 yr old who has never had sex but bursts into mindblowing orgasms every 30 seconds, accompanied by much lip biting and 'Holy Crap ' dialogue!) there is no plot.

I downloaded it (for free) to see what the hype was all about and within a few chapters was skipping the (numerous and repetitive) sex scenes to see if there was a story. Nope, there wasn't!

Read some Amazon reviews before you part with any money.. they are far more entertaining and better written!

MrsDucklips Fri 15-Jun-12 21:12:16

Totally agree backwardpossum - I read the second book too just to check it was as bad as the first.....it wasn't....it was way, way worse!

Please don't waste even a minute of your life- it is utter shite.
Don't do it.
<Oh my>

scuzy Fri 15-Jun-12 21:14:59

well fuck it anyway ... just bought the trilogy!!

bronze Fri 15-Jun-12 21:16:13

I don't get it think it's going to be like the Titanic film which at the time everyone was going on about it being great and now they think it's really cheesy, bit fickle. I honestly just think it sounds shit and in 10 years time other people will say shit and pretend they never really liked it

Pinkflipflop Fri 15-Jun-12 21:19:58

It's utter and complete crap. Wooden characters, totally unbelievable story, weak female, don't waste your money, I wish I hadn't!

Have deleted it off kindle without finishing.

Pinkflipflop Fri 15-Jun-12 21:20:54

Oh yes the lip biting - what is that about? It's rubbish!!

solidgoldbrass Fri 15-Jun-12 21:24:02

I've only read a few paragraphs online and I despise it. But then I have spent quite a lot of time working in the erotic fiction industry and am fully aware that there are billions of erotic novels, novellas and short stories out there that piss all over this semiliterate piece of bad femsub fanfic.

GwendolineMaryLacey Fri 15-Jun-12 21:24:04

Don't bother. I downloaded it and deleted it about half an hour later. Luckily, Amazon give you a refund of you haven't had it very long and tell them it was shite.

FiftyShadesofViper Fri 15-Jun-12 21:24:12

It is truly awful. I described it to a friend today as like Mills and Boon with sex in but you are all right, it has less story than the average Mills and Boon.

I bought it thinking it was going to be a bit risque blush, well it might be to a 15 year old but it is so badly written it is just irritating. If I have to read one more scene where her atoms explode to the edges of the universe or where he finds his release in her I might scream.

solidgoldbrass Fri 15-Jun-12 21:29:55

OP: this is why you should find some better reading. I am happy to give a few recommendations wink.

bringmesunshine2009 Fri 15-Jun-12 21:37:35

Truly awful. I mean, spectacularly bad. Breath hitching lip biting oh my bollocks.

kazmus Fri 15-Jun-12 21:38:17

i was recommended by my hairdresser.......only realised it was a trilogy after i bought it, and was so utterly bored by all her moaning and writhing that i would rather stick pins in my eyes than bother to find out any more about any of the characters.

hopenglory Fri 15-Jun-12 21:39:00

oh it is so bad

Freddiebump Fri 15-Jun-12 21:41:27

I'm on the third book at the minute and have to say I'm actually quite enjoying it, despite the lip biting, eye rolling, release finding and general badly-written ness of it!

EldritchCleavage Fri 15-Jun-12 21:43:22

there are billions of erotic novels, novellas and short stories out there that piss all over this semiliterate piece of bad femsub fanfic

Could you give some recommendations, SGB? Ta.

DeepPurple Fri 15-Jun-12 21:46:42

I'm halfway through it and it's strangely compelling even though it is completely unbelieveable, badly written and dreadfully repetitive.

nottonitejosefine Fri 15-Jun-12 21:48:55

I liked it grin and have just downloaded the next book <<pokes tongue out>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now