Talk

Advanced search

To be livid I have been ripped off

(94 Posts)
Lifegoeson Sun 03-Jun-12 13:08:43

I bought a car for £500 on Thurs, debit card payment kindly paid by my mum who I will repay via instalments.

Saw pictures of car and asked obvious questions, taxed, length of MOT, no tax, fair enough, can sort that still a bargain, MOT'd til Sept, little short, but ok.

Guys deliver it - small car rental company btw, not private, little disappointed with it, but was just so pleased to have a car. Off they went and I had to go out soon after.

Having had the chance to look through the paperwork I was shocked to see the MOT actualy expires in July, the 13th, so effectively a six week MOT, this guy blantantly lied to me as I would NEVER purchase a car with 6 weeks MOT left on it, I paid the going rate for this model, exact same cars around with much longer MOTS, so not a bargain in that respect.

I am absolutely devastated, and feel so so sad.

aldiwhore Sun 03-Jun-12 13:11:00

Hope it gets through it next MOT! You live and learn, you probably ARE BU, because I'm sure there's more research you could have done, more questions you should have asked etc., but I've been there done that got the t-shirt and lived to tell the tale so YANBU to kick yourself a little and feel let down by the harsh realities of life!

scurryfunge Sun 03-Jun-12 13:12:49

Sorry you have been lied to but you need to expect some car dealers to lie! Always check everything and don't buy without viewing.

PandaWatch Sun 03-Jun-12 13:13:58

What did he originally tell you when you asked about the MOT?

TheCunningStunt Sun 03-Jun-12 13:14:14

YANBU to be annoyed, but I'd be annoyed with myself for not checking. I bought a car recently and the service etc had not been stamped in the book even though they said it had, gave me wrong instruction manual etc. I had signed everything but did not pay a penny until I had everything they promised me. I hope it passes its mot and enjoy your car smile

PandaWatch Sun 03-Jun-12 13:16:05

Sorry - I see it's in your post! I would kick up - you can't get away with such an outright lie!

Kewcumber Sun 03-Jun-12 13:16:15

ask for your money back - they are as a hire car company effective trade and you are entitled to expect them to not misrepresent what you've bought. DO you have emails of where they state the MOT?

ratspeaker Sun 03-Jun-12 13:17:29

You didnt ask to see the papers before buying it?
Did you actually even see the car, look over it, test drive, kick the tyres?

Also you said it had no tax, how were you going to legally drive it?

There is a saying caveat emptor- buyer beware

Kewcumber Sun 03-Jun-12 13:19:00

caveat emptor is fine but you are not allowed to misrepresent goods when selling them and the standard expected is higher for a trade sellor than a private seller.

1sassylassy Sun 03-Jun-12 13:19:16

Was the car advertised?If so what did it say and do you have a copy of the advert?A car must be as described,so if they said the MOT expired in sept and it actually expires in july,I think you should be entitled to a refund.

Noqontrol Sun 03-Jun-12 13:20:25

Have you got anything in writing about the mot, an email or something?

Lifegoeson Sun 03-Jun-12 13:30:57

Thanks all. I didn't think he would actually downright lie, I am going to kick off, I phoned and went batshit, he said other guy in company - was his own personal car - to call me back. I have already looked up their local paper which I will mention, I am a lone parent on benefits, this car was the way for me to get off them and back to work.

I am also going to mention trading standards and rogue traders to them, wondering if the bank could do anything about 'retracting' payment aswell?

squeakytoy Sun 03-Jun-12 13:31:38

I would say you were mad to buy a car without actually looking at it. £500 for a car is peanuts these days, and I would be worried I was buying an old rust bucket for that price.

rainbowinthesky Sun 03-Jun-12 13:34:05

What has being a lone parent on benefit got to do with anything? I can't see a newspaper being interested in a £500 car being sold with the MOT being 2 months inaccurate.

TapirBackRider Sun 03-Jun-12 13:37:24

YABU for not looking at the paperwork, and believing what you were told.

Always check everything out for yourself - people lie, especially when they're out to make money. <fact>

Lifegoeson Sun 03-Jun-12 13:38:39

Er, because he lied and ripped me off, and I can't afford the get it MOT'd again in 6 weeks.

thisisyesterday Sun 03-Jun-12 13:40:08

agree that you're totally mad to buy a car without looking at it, checking it out and doing an HPI check

however, that doesn't make it ok that he has lied.

i would ask them to please MOT it for you, most dealers I've used are happy to do this to secure a sale, and although you've already bought it they may prefer to do this for you rather than have you kick up a stink

rainbowinthesky Sun 03-Jun-12 13:40:23

I still dont get what your relationship status and being on benefits has to do with it.

squeakytoy Sun 03-Jun-12 13:42:15

I have already looked up their local paper which I will mention, I am a lone parent on benefits, this car was the way for me to get off them and back to work

Go for it... hmm .. I doubt you will get very far but the DM can put a picture of you and the kids scowling in front of your car on their site... grin

squeakytoy Sun 03-Jun-12 13:43:37

Er, because he lied and ripped me off, and I can't afford the get it MOT'd again in 6 weeks.

Well if it passes an MOT the cost is only about £40.. if you havent got that, then how do you intend to insure it and run it, and afford general maintenance costs that an old banger is bound to incur? confused

Pandemoniaa Sun 03-Jun-12 13:44:58

I'm sorry the car wasn't all it was supposed to be but I'm fairly astonished that you bought it sight unseen and without checking the paperwork before paying over the money and for that reason, I really doubt that you'll get far with any complaint.

TidyDancer Sun 03-Jun-12 13:45:30

You're right to be pissed off that the MOT wasn't as long as you thought it would be, but why on earth did you not read the paperwork before buying the car?!

rainbowinthesky Sun 03-Jun-12 13:46:13

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Lifegoeson Sun 03-Jun-12 13:49:13

Gee thanks for the support, kick me when I'm down why don't you.

TapirBackRider Sun 03-Jun-12 13:49:28

You are being unreasonable for not checking yourself, and relying on a stranger to tell you the truth. It's not right that they lied to you, but the basic fact remains - people lie.

FGS - these are fundamental things when you buy a car! You check the car itself, do a HPI check, you check the paperwork and you find out as much as possible about the vehicle.

Sorry to say but it sounds like they saw you coming.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now