Talk

Advanced search

to think this is a little anti-social

(54 Posts)
watermargin Thu 10-May-12 16:50:49

I get the train to work every morning, and it is usually very busy. This morning, a woman sat next to me and started to eat a sandwich, which smelt unpleasant (an egg sandwich) and then opened a packet of beef & onion crisps. I hate those crisps anyway which may explain my reaction! As anyone who travels on trains knows you don't get a lot of room so I was forced to sit with an unpleasant smell for a while.

She also broke wind on a number of occasions, and the smell was ghastly, like hot drains.

AIBU to think this is anti social and inconsiderate?

BlackAffronted Thu 10-May-12 16:52:02

Farting, yes.

Eating no. She may have morning sickness/diabetes/other medicalissue that means she has to eat at that time.

billybeau Thu 10-May-12 16:54:17

Crisps and sandwich, no, not anti-social (though why she was eating those so early!) but breakinng wind, very anti-social

watermargin Thu 10-May-12 16:55:03

Possibly. It seems unlikely though. She got on at the last station before the train terminated so was only on the train for ten minutes max. I'm currently pregnant and the smell of the food made me feel really nauseous - I wouldn't have been rude enough to say "don't eat that please!" though.

If I absolutely had to eat something I'd choose fruit or cereal bars as well which is unlikely to be smelly/loud to eat!

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Thu 10-May-12 16:55:53

Yes, very anti social. Even if she does have a condition that means she has to eat at that time, she doesn't have to eat smelly food. I can't think of any medical condition that requires crisps!

CarolynR Thu 10-May-12 17:02:27

Not anti-social but inconsiderate. I try and only eat non-messy and non-smelly foods in public.

startail Thu 10-May-12 17:06:30

Chicken crisps were the best thing I found for morning sickness (bland own brand ones, not stinky beef and onion).

StrandedFuckingBear Thu 10-May-12 17:08:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RobinSparkles Thu 10-May-12 17:13:15

Are you sure she farted? It might have been the smell from her egg.

Unless she did it loudly? I don't know, some people just don't have the grace to do it quietly, do they? She should have done her best to squeeze her arse cheeks shut!

<<catsbum mouth>>

ecclesvet Thu 10-May-12 17:13:38

Because other people don't want to smell the horrible gases and particles of shit? Just my guess.

RobinSparkles Thu 10-May-12 17:26:08

True, but everybody has to don't they? Even the Queen!

LeBOF Thu 10-May-12 17:27:46

Yes, very anti-social. Height of bad manners.

StrandedFuckingBear Thu 10-May-12 17:31:40

mrsscoob Thu 10-May-12 17:32:24

YANBU I was sat on a bus once, a tad hungover admittedly when this really stinky man got on sat in front of me and started eating a prawn sandwich, It was so gross I had to get off the bus, I still feel a little sick just thinking about it!

headinhands Thu 10-May-12 17:34:38

an·ti·so·cial (nt-sshl, nt-)
adj.
1. Shunning the society of others; not sociable.
2. Hostile to or disruptive of the established social order; marked by or engaging in behavior that violates accepted mores: gangs engaging in vandalism and other antisocial behavior.
3. Antagonistic toward or disrespectful of others; rude.

She wasn't antisocial. She was eating.

Helltotheno Thu 10-May-12 17:46:52

Silent deadly farts on a packed train? Gross, gross, gross... Just save it til you get out in the fresh air then let rip if you want.
Egg sarnie? Nothing in principle wrong with eating one on a train but hard on those with sensitive morning tums...

watermargin Thu 10-May-12 17:46:56

She farted audibly twice and muttered 'sorry' the first time. The smell was terrible - really 'hot' like drains or a sewer. Utterly vile. I realise everyone needs to fart sometimes but I'd have gone into the toilet to do it personally. I think it's really rude!

yakbutter Thu 10-May-12 17:49:56

StrandedFuckingBear Thu 10-May-12 17:50:05

Bibulus Thu 10-May-12 17:50:15

If it was that bad smelling, she might have been suffering with some sort of bowel problem? at least she had the good grace to apologise. poor woman might have been quite embarrassed

but having said that, I am often amazed at how often, and how stinkily, other people fart on my morning train

I don't want to smell the insides of other people's colons at that time of the morning

so no, YANBU

Ambrosius Thu 10-May-12 17:54:59

YANBU. Stranded I can't believe you don't know how to hold a fart in. Not for a second.

NamesKerry Thu 10-May-12 17:55:33

Being enveloped in another persons foul faecal mist. I'd have probably puked in her lap. Dirty mare!

BigBoPeep Thu 10-May-12 17:56:58

yaNbu! cats bum mouth? I would've turned INTO a cat's bum! eeeeeew! agree with nameskerry.

jazzchickens Thu 10-May-12 17:58:44

egg sandwich is probably not the best option if one has a wind problem.

LeBOF Thu 10-May-12 17:59:37

Smelly food in a confined space and smelly farts are anti-social. They demonstrate rudeness and disregard for the comfort of others. Which contravenes social mores. Unless you are from somewhere that encourages that kind of behaviour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now