Talk

Advanced search

To complain about the school disco?

(40 Posts)
BupcakesandCunting Tue 24-Apr-12 13:17:45

Before anyone tells me to sign up for the PTA myself if I think I can do a better job, I have done wink

Last night was DS's school disco. Started at 6.30, until 7.30 so one hour. The teachers spent the first ten minutes talking over the microphone telling the kids what they could/couldn't do so that took up until 6.40.

Then, the bit I am extremely hmm about is the music that the DJ played for reception kids. His repertoire included that fuckawful Sexy and I Know It song and other things not really suited to entertaining 5 year olds.

Then the lights came on at 7.20 to get them out so that Years 1 and 2 could get in!

<sad cow emoticon>

purpledragonfruit Tue 24-Apr-12 13:19:29

I agree the time was way too short but I wouldn't have a problem with the song. grin

FrancesHouseman Tue 24-Apr-12 13:21:09

I was at a stay-and-play afternoon at DD's school nursey (age 3-4) last year and some of the songs they put on over th PA included "Because I Got High" and Shaggy's "It Wasn't Me".

I'd be supremely fucked off at hearing "Sexy And I Know It" at a 5 year old's disco...

valiumredhead Tue 24-Apr-12 13:21:50

Ds is at middle school and the discos are only an hour then the older kids come in for the second hour.

The music, if it's radio versions then I think you have to grit your teeth, I hate that song but ds and all his mates love it hmm

CharminglyOdd Tue 24-Apr-12 13:21:54

YANBU. When I was that age the school disco was a friend's big brother doing the HT a favour and he played the 'push the pineapple'-tree thing song, macarena and other dance-y things.

BerryMenlove Tue 24-Apr-12 13:23:29

my 2 year old likes the sexy and I know it song
But, yes YANBU about being unimpressed with it being played at a school disco.

FrancesHouseman Tue 24-Apr-12 13:24:22

Yeah, highlights of our school disco was the Superman song, Nellie The Elephant and The Birdie Song...

TheFeministsWife Tue 24-Apr-12 13:26:20

My 5 year old knows all the words to the sexy and I know it song. blush When it comes on my 9 year old puts her hands over her ears and shouts, "Oh FGS turn that off mummy". grin blush

foosty Tue 24-Apr-12 13:26:32

YANBU

It's inappropriate to say the least - the last disco we ran had a dj who played all the crappy old stuff like the YMCA and the Macarena etc - awful for the parents helping but the kids loved it

who wants their 5 year old to be dancing to 'Sexy and I know it' ????

next time find a dj who is used to doing school discos and therefore knows to play the cheesy fun stuff

KeepOrfThemCarbs Tue 24-Apr-12 13:26:43

I remember going to help out (on the sweetie stall, so in reality eat a load of sweets really) my brother's school disco when he was 8 (so quite a few years ago).

The DJ, astonishingly, played that song which went 'Alice, Alice, WHO THE FUCK IS ALICE': cue a hall full of 8 and 9 year olds singing along at their tops of their voices, and the brilliant image of the year head running full pelt across the room in her dirndl skirts to accost the DJ. grin

I do agree with you btw, that is a stupid song to play. Really inappropriate. And yes bups, this is the start of a long slippery slope towards being Mary Whitehouse. grin

SunflowersSmile Tue 24-Apr-12 13:27:42

Quite late for Reception kids? Our ks1 discos are 4.30 -5.45 and then 6 - 7.15pm for KS2.

Beamur Tue 24-Apr-12 13:29:44

We had a disco at DD's school a little while ago and they played that Ed Sheerin song about being drunk again which seemed a bit wrong! I'm not sure it's worth complaining over though - although I now understand why my Mum wasn't happy when I bought a 'Frankie says Relax' t-shirt in all innocence as a young teen.
TBH the volume bothered me more! I was worried about damaging their ears.

MrsShitty Tue 24-Apr-12 13:32:48

I think diiscos are a stupid idea for DC anyway. At least until the age of 10 or so.

Mrsjay Tue 24-Apr-12 13:34:29

when I did the school discos the wee ones were only for an hour and the older kids were 90 minutes , tbh thats all they can cope with , i used to do the two and i was knackered grin

ripsishere Tue 24-Apr-12 13:39:41

My DDs school regularly has these. They are two hours long and aimed at Y2-6.
The normal DJ is a lovely young man with no sense of what is appropriate. Our first outing saw me shouting that the video to Robbie Williams let me entertain you (I think) where he peels his skin off is a bit too scary for 6 year olds to deal with. He just looked daft and said 'really?' While 50 or so chldren stood still with a look of shock and fear on their faces.

SunflowersSmile Tue 24-Apr-12 13:40:18

'Oh pizza hut, oh pizza hut, kentucky fried chicken and pizza hut'- is what I get after my 6 year old been to a school disco!!

BupcakesandCunting Tue 24-Apr-12 13:56:22

I was expecting a bit of Aga Doo/Ghostbuster theme tune tbh. Not songs to pole dance to.

purpledragonfruit Tue 24-Apr-12 14:22:39

But have you heard the words in the verse of the pizza hut song sunflowers?!

purpledragonfruit Tue 24-Apr-12 14:24:36

www.anysonglyrics.com/lyrics/f/fast-food-rockers/fast-food-song-lyrics.htm

Floggingmolly Tue 24-Apr-12 14:26:20

That sounds like complete shite. Our Reception disco ran from 3.30 to 4.30, with the Y1 & 2's following at 5.30. They played far more kid friendly music too.

SunflowersSmile Tue 24-Apr-12 14:44:06

Ooh err purpledragon fruit!! I was not aware of the 'other' words.
Fortunately don't think 6 year old is either...

purpledragonfruit Tue 24-Apr-12 15:24:27

I only realised when the dcs were trying out a kids' karaoke CD and singing along to "I think of you and lick my lips"....

solidgoldbrass Tue 24-Apr-12 15:28:07

Kids will have heard the 'sexy' songs on the radio or at home if they have older siblings with shit taste, and at 5 they are not bothered by the lyrics overmuch, they just like a bit of rhythm to jump about to.

BupcakesandCunting Tue 24-Apr-12 15:35:30

Honestly, I never listen to Radio 1 or the like so DS doesn't really get to hear that type of shite.

lattelov3r Tue 24-Apr-12 15:38:00

although its probably not the best choice of song for young children id imagine a group of 5 year olds wouldnt have a clue what the lyrics were about im sure the song has already been heard on radio/tv, these days finding music that children want to listen to cant be easy songs like macarena etc probably wouldnt interest them as they have no idea what they are, i will say though as the parent of a just turned 6 year old i know ds wouldnt be impressed with a disco lasting less than an hour

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now