Talk

Advanced search

to hate the warbling that passes as singing these days...

(25 Posts)
Darnley Sun 22-Apr-12 14:32:43

just that really.

(grumpy old woman )

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 22-Apr-12 14:38:49

YANBU... although Adele and similar proper singers have restored my faith a little. Whenever I hear Carey and Lewis et all murdering a song with random yodelling noises I find myself yelling 'just pick a note and fucking well stick to it will you???!!!!'

MrsHelsBels74 Sun 22-Apr-12 14:51:16

I can't bear people like Mariah Carey who hover around a note rather than singing it!

Darnley Sun 22-Apr-12 14:55:42

Glad it's not just me then. Mariah and her ilk drive me mad with the yodelling. Both DH and I were shouting at the tv during the voice last night because of the god awful warbling. Why...just why ?

hiddenhome Sun 22-Apr-12 15:55:11

It's laziness. They can't get anyone to write them a proper song with decent lyrics, so they just churn out this rubbish and pass it off as 'singing'. I recommend Preparation H for people who seem to be in that much pain hmm

lolaflores Sun 22-Apr-12 16:36:47

You don't hear singers anymore, It is everyone being cheap versions of Whitney Houston. Hold the note the longest, wibble wobble twiddley dee and on and on. Fingernails on blackboards. Thats why I love Susan Boyle, gets up, sings the song good and normal,no fuck arsing around with how messed up she can make a note sound. Has it dawned on them they all sound the same it is frankly shit?
I don't watch these things for that reason because i have ranted and wanted to kick the screen in. Give us a different flavour please.

Red2011 Sun 22-Apr-12 16:51:11

I hear you, Darnley

It grates on my nerves no end. That, and stupid "music" where there is someone singing and a bloke has to keep saying, 'yeah, yeah!' every twenty seconds.

Give me some proper dirty rock!

BBQJuly Sun 22-Apr-12 17:05:43

YANBU. They should get some decent singing lessons. And producers and record companies should learn to recognise the difference between a proper singer and trying to fake it with effects and autotune - there are no short cuts.

hiddenhome Sun 22-Apr-12 17:11:17

You can easily cover up dodgy notes by warbling like this. It's a bit like doing vibrato on a stringed instrument, you just ease yourself into the right pitch if it's slightly off. Singers do this because they can't hold a note in tune for any period of time. It's just bollox singing.

MooBaaWoofCheep Sun 22-Apr-12 17:13:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

edam Sun 22-Apr-12 17:15:29

Thank heavens for this thread. Stupid sub-Whitney Houston warbling seems to be everywhere these days. Anyone who does it should shut the fuck up.

WetAugust Sun 22-Apr-12 17:39:25

YANBU

Darnley Sun 22-Apr-12 18:51:27

Wow. Great responses. Thanks one and all. I am beginning to think that evolution has speeded up and "the yoof of today " have grown different vocal chords which explains the warbling and a seemingly innability to put a sentence together.

Need more wine

NettleTea Sun 22-Apr-12 18:55:12

and now my 11 year old daughter has started doing it every time she sings. aaagggggggghhhhhh

marinesub123 Wed 17-May-17 14:20:55

I like watching Saturday TV for the Game shows and music based reality shows on both the BBC and ITV channels. It was not too bad when these music shows started but as the shows became more popular most of the singers sang the same songs and had to add the annoying warbling which they thought made the song better. The brain dead audience always started to cheer for the singer when this happened. I would have booed them and begged them to stop. I like all kinds of diverse music but I hate groups such as 'Destiny's Child' and any singer who does this. There is no uniqueness in music anymore so I don't listen to the radio as much as I used to.

BellMcEnd Wed 17-May-17 14:25:49

YANBU.

I'm really turning into a grumpy old woman. All that twittering and warbling drives me mad. Plus all the synthesised nonsense. Give me a bit of GnR anyday.

Adele is clearly massively talented and would be ace to go on the lash with but her songs are v samey (imo).

Don't like Ed Sheeran at all. There I've said it.

Destinysdaughter Wed 17-May-17 14:27:25

This thread is 5 years old!!

BellMcEnd Wed 17-May-17 14:31:51

grin

Sparklingbrook Wed 17-May-17 14:38:40

ZOMBIES everywhere.

MyOpe Wed 17-May-17 14:49:00

haha! its a zombie thread. did i post this?

anyway the OP is right.

its just screaming. no change in notes - i.e. no real melody! its just a form of showing off really. or self-indulgence.

i hate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

claraschu Wed 17-May-17 15:03:17

Listen to Schubert Lieder and Mozart or Bach arias.

Poudrenez Wed 17-May-17 15:07:29

YANBU! I hate it. Totally soul-less.

marinesub123 Wed 17-May-17 15:09:07

Totally with you on that. I don't mind the odd slow song but some singers (Ned Sheeran) bore me to tears. I'm not really a fan of any solo guitarists. The odd song yes but could not listen to a full album. Amazing what some singers get paid to produce these days. If it wasn't for media coverage and pop videos available for download I think the attraction to buy some songs would drop massively. I recognise he has talent but sorry to say I'm not a fan!

marinesub123 Wed 17-May-17 15:36:28

Can I say to anyone confused about the thread being 5 years old. I'm sorry I brought up the subject again but I was whinging under my breath about warblers after listening to the radio and just wanted to check if there was anyone out there that shared my feelings about this. When I saw the link on google I had to join and get involved but did not see how old the last thread was sent Ha Ha...'My Bad!'

MyGastIsFlabbered Wed 17-May-17 16:02:22

Ha! I just found myself agreeing with a post, then realised I had actually posted it under a different name 5 years ago grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now