Talk

Advanced search

Help!! Carpet fitter has just stormed out. AIBU?

(533 Posts)
whenskiesaregrey Tue 17-Apr-12 11:51:06

Sorry for rambling state of this post, I am a bit upset about the way I have just been spoken to. Also, sorry for the length of the post, I just want to include all the detail.

I ordered some carpet last week to be fitted today. It is a local small carpet shop, not part of a chain. They offer a 'free fitting service', but you pay 75% of the price in the shop, and the remainder once fitted. I presume this is because they sub-contract out the fitting. In my case this was £150 in the shop, and £50 once fitted. I have bought carpet and fitting from this shop before, and the fitting service wasn't great, but they said they were using a different company that day, so I gave them the benefit of the doubt and ordered from them again. In the shop, I mentioned the problems I had had last time (punctuality, not taking old carpet away) and asked for reassurance that the service would be better this time. I was assured it would be.

Carpet was due to be delivered at 9am. At half past 9, no-one had turned up, so I rang the shop asking where they were. I was told they had has a couple of problems this morning and only had one fitter on instead of two, and they might be able to fit me in a 2pm today. I can't do that time as DS has a party 2-4pm, and I work Wed-Fri, so this morning really was the only time this week that was suitable. I explained to the man on the phone that I has problems last time, and was told it would be better this time. So he said he would move some things around, and fit me in about 10am this morning.

At 10, two men arrived to fit the carpet. In the bedroom, the furniture we had left in there was a double bed, a wardrobe, and chester of drawers and two little side units. We had been told in the shop not to worry about moving any furniture out of the room, that they would move it around the room to fit it. DH had taken the mirrored doors off the wardrobe to make it lighter to move, and we had moved all of the other usual bedroom stuff out of the room. The chest of drawers were half empty, just had underwear in them. The bed still had the bedding on it because I didn't think it would make any difference. The little side units did have things in them, but they really are very small, so I thought they be okay. I am 27+ weeks pregnant with PGP, so it is a bit difficult to move things around.

He went to the bedroom and looked around and sighed. The said, you're going to need to get those clothes out of that wardrobe. There wasn't very much in there because we are getting new wardrobes, so it was just a few things to keep us going until the new stuff arrived. I said I would move it, but it shouldn't make much different to the weight. He said if he tried to move the wardrobe, it would collapse, which I said wasn't true as we have just decorated, and have been moving the wardrobe around so we could get to the walls. But I still carried on moving the clothes. He then started opening the drawers in the chest of drawers, which have my underwear etc in. I said the drawers are almost empty, so the underwear shoudn't make any difference to the weight. He then picked up the small unit and dragged it around the room in a way that the drawers all fell forward and the unit nearly tipped up. I said to him that I would move it if he was going to move it like that, and moved the other unit out of the room. He then said 'look love, I'm doing you a favour here, I could leave you to move it by yourself if you want'. By the point, the other lad had turned the double bed up on to its side and was leaning against the window. I said to the first lad that I understood that he has obviously had a busy morning and he didn't have much patience, but I had been waiting for the delivery too. He said 'no patience?! I shouldn't even be here. I'm not staying here and taking this. Do you want me to go'. I said to him if he wanted to go, he should go, but it's his job to fit the carpet. He shouted to the other lad, 'right, we're off', stormed down the stairs and got in the van. The other lad looked a bit sheepish, and I said 'so is he just going to go, leaving the bed on its side and all the furniture like that'. I am quite obviously pregnant, and DS was playing downstairs and shouting to me, so it was obvious that I would not be able to move the furniture back. He said he would have a word with him, but once he had got in the van, they drove off. So the bedroom is left with the very heavy oak double bed on its side, a unit in the middle of the floor, and they left the door open as they stormed out.

I rang the shop and explained that I thought the fitter was very rude, and what was going to happen now. He said that they had done me a favour by moving the other appointments round to fit me in at 10am, and they were wasting time on the phone at the moment, and other appointments needed to be done. He then said it is in my best interest to be flexible with the delivery time, because I wont get my £150 deposit back, because they have ordered the carpet. I then tried to reiterate how rude the fitter had been to me. Apparently the fitter had told the lad in the shop that I refused to move anything out of the room, and that is why he left. Now, if the shop had explained to us to make sure wardrobes were empty, drawers were empty etc, then we would have done it. We told them when we ordered it it was for a bedroom, so you would know the type of furniture would be in there. But we were told that we did not need to get any furniture out of the room, the fitters would work around it.

Was I being unreasonable to the fitter? Is it true I can't get my money back on the carpet? I don't want that fitter back in the house, he really was so horrible to me. I understand he has obviously had a busy day, and I said that to him, but at the end of the day, that isn't my fault and he shouldn't take it out on me. I also don't like the suggestion from the shop that they are doing me a favour by re-arranging the delivery for me, when I have paid for a carpet and fitting, and that is what I expected.

I am pretty upset at the moment, which is probably all pregnancy hormones. I got a bit upset on the phone to the shop, so he said he would ring me back 'when I had calmed down'. So I am waiting for them to call back now. Where do I stand?

Thank you if you read this far!!

FirstLastEverything Tue 17-Apr-12 11:53:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ruddynorah Tue 17-Apr-12 11:55:43

Get the carpet delivered and book your own fitter. They were rubbish last time so why ever did you go back?!

ThisIsNotMyLife Tue 17-Apr-12 11:55:47

Was the carpet delivered?

Catsdontcare Tue 17-Apr-12 11:57:08

He was rude but I am a little surprised that you and your dh didn't think to make things as easy as possible for the fitters. I always completely clear a room to have carpet fitted as it means they are are in and out in under an hour.

DoingTheBestICan Tue 17-Apr-12 11:57:22

To be fair every time I have ordered carpets we have emptied the room,dh says he would rather move the furniture then someone else who wouldn't care if it got damaged,however it sounds like the fitter was a bit highly strung.
Have they rung you back yet?

whenskiesaregrey Tue 17-Apr-12 11:58:17

I paid on my debit card, so I can't cancel it. I went back because they do the free fitting and take the old carpet away, and they are local. I thought I would give them the benefit of the doubt with the last time. They hadn't even got the carpet out of the van, they were here for about 10 minutes. The had brought the underlay up, but he grabbed that as he stormed out.

Bluebell99 Tue 17-Apr-12 11:58:46

Hmmm well whenever we have had carpets fitted we have moved all of the furniture out ourselves so the room has been empty. I don't know what the normal expectation is regarding carpet fitting though.

WorraLiberty Tue 17-Apr-12 11:59:04

To be honest I'm surprised the shop told you not to worry about it.

They're carpet fitters...not removal men and often they're not insured for breakages.

I used to date a carpet fitter years ago and no-one in his company would lug people's furniture around for them.

They also never took away old carpets, due to possible flea infestations in their vans.

ThisIsNotMyLife Tue 17-Apr-12 11:59:29

Get the carpet you have paid for (a threat to go to the small claims court should help if the argue) and get another fitter.

It's not a deposit - it's payment for some carpet. They owe you carpet.

WilsonFrickett Tue 17-Apr-12 12:00:58

Do you have the carpet?

MargueritaaPracatan Tue 17-Apr-12 12:00:59

Oh my goodness, what terrible service all round!

Ditch them, they've been unreasonable and unable to supply the service you paid for. Contact Trading Standards? Do they cover this sort of thing? Not sure but poor you. I'd be getting VERY cross with them.

ClaimedByMe Tue 17-Apr-12 12:01:01

Could you not keep the carpet you paid for and find someone to fit it?

whenskiesaregrey Tue 17-Apr-12 12:01:14

We had cleared a lot of out the room because we have been decorating. We probably could have completely took the drawers out of the room, but the wardrobe and bed were built in the room and would have to be dismantled to take them out. They were quite adament in the shop that would didn't have to move anything out of the room, but we only left a few things in there. DH did take the doors of the wardrobe to make it lighter.

oopsi Tue 17-Apr-12 12:01:35

I think the fitters were doing you a favour by moving the furniture .If the shop told you the room didn't have to be cleared then teh fault lies with the shop.How on earth could you fit a carpet around a double bed and a wardrobe a chest of drawers and 2 side units?

Sounds like the fitter was really stressed and going into your room with all the stuff still in it just finished him off.....he was inexcusably rude though!

I dont know why you went back there when you had problems last time, and it sounds like the guy in the shop is peaking for the fitters rather than acually knowing what they need to be done...common sense would tell that you cant fit carpet in a room with furniture in it!

Midori1999 Tue 17-Apr-12 12:02:35

I'm not sure if it helps, but i think there is something where you can claim money back on a debit card within 3 months. there might be something about it on the Money Saving Expert site?

It all sounds awful. They told you you didn't need to move the furniture and then the fitter had a strop because you had done what the shop told you to do. Then on top of that, the shop were patronising to you on the phone.

I would complain and do everything possible to get the money back and take my custom elsewhere.

whenskiesaregrey Tue 17-Apr-12 12:04:20

worral is it part of the service they advertise- free fitting, take away old carpet, move furniture. I was surprised that they didn't need the furniture moving, but when the fitted the living room carpet, I apologised for not being able to move the couches, and they said I didn't need to move anything, I didn't need to move the TV stand etc (which has already been put in the kitchen).

WorraLiberty Tue 17-Apr-12 12:04:21

See as well

You weren't happy when the carpet fitters were going to be late to you...but having to lug your furniture around would probably have made them late to someone else.

That's got to be stressful for them as they'll no doubt get moaned at by the next customer too...when all they really want to do is get on with their carpet fitting.

Sirzy Tue 17-Apr-12 12:05:04

If you were getting new furniture anyway I don't understand why you didn't get rid of it before getting carpets fitted? Surely that makes
It easier for everyone?

MargueritaaPracatan Tue 17-Apr-12 12:05:45

I'd just rignthem and tell them to deliver the carpet this afternoon or you'll be taking it further. I think they must have just agreed to everything you asked for to make the sale.

WorraLiberty Tue 17-Apr-12 12:05:48

Ahhh but didn't you say this is a different fitting company?

That's why I'm wondering if the shop got their wires crossed with them and advised you, you didn't have to move the furniture when you should have?

If that's the case, the fault lies with the shop.

MargueritaaPracatan Tue 17-Apr-12 12:06:06

Ring 'em, I mean!

whenskiesaregrey Tue 17-Apr-12 12:07:39

To be honest, I don't know a huge amount about what is expected, because (apart from last time) DH has always laid any carpet we have got, but obviously the fitters did a better job last time, so I wanted it doing by 'fitters' this time.

The issue I had wasn't that he went in and asked me to move stuff. That's fine, I'm not opposed to moving stuff, although it is a bit of a struggle at the moment! It was his attitude. He really was very horrible.

BBQJuly Tue 17-Apr-12 12:08:35

How to Complain about Poor Service

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now