Talk

Advanced search

to put an expensive but very much unused gift on ebay?

(24 Posts)
ilikeyoursleeves Sun 18-Mar-12 22:30:18

DS1 got a wooden rocking motorbike as a gift about 3 years ago now. It's absolutely beautiful but has very rarely been used despite sitting in his bedroom all that time. It takes up loads of space too, and now ds2 is sharing a room with ds1 I am thinking about putting it on ebay. However I checked out the original price & it's nearly £300 (!) so I feel a bit bad for thinking of selling it too. But the boys just dont play on it & we could use the money for other things! AIBU to sell it? Wwyd?

mumblechum1 Sun 18-Mar-12 22:33:11

YANBU. I'm in the same boat; dh spent over £3k on a drumkit for ds a few Xmases ago and it;'s now gathering dust and taking up way too much space in his room.

I put it on ebay today (only 2nd time I've ever tried to sell anything), and it already has a bit at the starting price, with 23 people watching! Tis v exciting, and if it goes for £1k or so it will help ds towards buying a car.

So go for it if you're quite sure your sons won't mind.

Iheartpasties Sun 18-Mar-12 22:35:11

I would sell it, I am not sure how much it will go second hand, but I would rather someone else enjoyed it if it is not getting used by your children.

TooEasilyTempted Sun 18-Mar-12 22:36:16

Sell it. I have no emotion at all over this kind of thing.

catsareevil Sun 18-Mar-12 22:37:09

Selling it sounds like a great idea. Someone will buy it who will appreciate it, you will free up the space, and get some money. YANBU.

Divorcedand2teenDDs Sun 18-Mar-12 22:50:34

Sounds like a great idea. Only problem might be if the person who gave it to them is likely to notice it's gone? If they will you could broach it with them ( the dc's loved it but have grown out of it now...) or not - they gave it so have no rights over it now, I'd say. Is that the issue?

dixiechick1975 Sun 18-Mar-12 23:09:06

Do take care what you start at or put a reserve - sometimes collection only items go for very little on ebay.

HalfPastWine Sun 18-Mar-12 23:11:41

I would recommend selling it on Amazon, you can sell used items on there too. You list it at a fixed price but I always find they sell quicker and with a lot less hassle than ebay.

Steffi90 Sun 18-Mar-12 23:15:19

YANBU - It's better to sell it and for someone who needs/wants it to use it than for it not to be used and just gather dust.

FilterCoffee Sun 18-Mar-12 23:15:48

YANBU. You've kept it for a good length of time so you've shown appreciation by giving it a chance.

If you'd just flogged it immediately I think that would be ungrateful and unreasonable, but 3 years later is fine smile

butilikesalt Sun 18-Mar-12 23:20:31

eBay was invented for situations just like this one. Sell it.

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Sun 18-Mar-12 23:23:45

Whoever gave it you will will have been aware that it's the sort of thing children grow out of. They would be being unreasonable if they expected you to keep it forever.

Nanny0gg Sun 18-Mar-12 23:37:50

Who bought it?
Would it have been someone who might have hoped it would become a family heirloom-type thing?

BluddyMoFo Sun 18-Mar-12 23:44:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

splashymcsplash Sun 18-Mar-12 23:46:12

If it's not being used then why not sell it? I think it's not BU. These things have a limited life span anyway.

McHappyPants2012 Sun 18-Mar-12 23:55:00

sell it, but my rule is that if i sell my DC things they get the money ( like new clothes, a dvd they want ect)

iscream Mon 19-Mar-12 04:10:10

I would sell it.

TheSkiingGardener Mon 19-Mar-12 04:18:39

Sell it, but on Amazon not eBay, as a previous poster said.

Get your sons something from the money so they still benefit.

plutocrap Mon 19-Mar-12 04:22:15

Sometimes people really don't think what an imposition bulky and/ or inapprioriately expensive gifts can be, so don't feel guilty!

plutocrap Mon 19-Mar-12 04:23:14

inappropriately

HipHopOpotomus Mon 19-Mar-12 06:17:01

Keep it forever. Keep everything you are ever given forever!

See how silly the alternative sounds? Yanbu to Flog it!!

Mishy1234 Mon 19-Mar-12 06:25:49

Definitely sell it.

DanJay Thu 25-Apr-13 14:19:31

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

peeriebear Thu 25-Apr-13 14:27:45

Is it a Bajo one? I agree- sell it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now