Talk

Advanced search

To be totally p***ed with I candy customer service?

(40 Posts)
barbie1 Tue 31-Jan-12 10:37:55

This could be long so apologise in advanced.

So here I am 3 days post emcs and in tears all over a bloody pram angry.

We are currently living in Dubai but are moving home to the uk in early April. So when we were buying the pram we decided to buy it it from the uk for two reasons, firstly it was cheaper in the uk and secondly owing to the fact we would be coming home it would make it easier to have bought from the retailer in the uk for any follow up problems/ questions etc.

The plan was for mil to bring the pram over when she came for a visit and to help with dd1.

Anyway to cut a long story short we ended up paying £160 for the pram to be shipped over to us and another £50 for import tax. To insure that we had the pram on time.

I ended up going into premature labour on Saturday just as the pram arrived. Dh went home on Sunday to bring the pram into the hospital but there are parts missing so the wheels can't be attached! shock

Called I candy customer services who basically said it wasn't their problem and to take it up with the retailer. Called the retailer who said its I candys fault as they supplied them with a faulty pram. Another call to I candy, and a rude customer service lady said well regardless of who's fault it is, they wouldnt so anything because we had taken it out of the country! shock angry

So here I am, post 2nd c section with a 3 day old and a 23 month old...oh and a pram that it totally worthless.

So aibu to be totally pissed off with I candy or does it serve me right trying to save a few quid and forward planning by buying in the uk?

Honeydragon Tue 31-Jan-12 14:29:03

No you every right to be pissed off. It's a pram ffs the parts should be in the box regardless of where it ends up angry

coraltoes Tue 31-Jan-12 14:32:47

I candy are like a bloody mafia. No prices online, no online or distance selling...and no bloody customer service. This is disgraceful. How hard is it for them to post you the spare bits????

STEP UP I CANDY!!!

browneyesblue Tue 31-Jan-12 15:12:43

That's awful angry

Who is the retailer?

Kayano Tue 31-Jan-12 15:16:19

I candy have a
Price list in their website? I'm sure they put one on there....

Their line has always been to contact the retailer according to their Facebook page. Your contract would have been with the retailer not iCandy

barbie1 Tue 31-Jan-12 16:38:39

Bentalls Kingston is the retailer. I just called them again and bentalls are trying their best, however they have to get the parts back from I candy who have told them that they know we are abroad and the warranty is void therefore there is nothing they can do.

I have no pram! I can not go out with my two children sad

bumpybecky Tue 31-Jan-12 16:41:50

did you pay by credit card? you might have better chance of getting a refund if you paid by credit card

Wittsend13 Tue 31-Jan-12 16:58:57

Hi OP, Have you posted on their FB page?

http://www.facebook.com/iCandyWorld

thegirlwiththehairylegs Tue 31-Jan-12 17:03:09

That is disgusting, when I was looking for prams I did consider an iCandy, but after a little research, found that their customer services were a pile of wank, so went for a Cossatto instead. Could you get Trading Standards involved OP?

KatSlater Tue 31-Jan-12 17:03:53

That's really shitty. I have a 4 year old Apple and live near Kingston. Shall I pretend to be you and give them a bollocking?

Hope you get it sorted. I love the pushchair but they do piss me off angry

SuchProspects Tue 31-Jan-12 18:03:24

I was in the same situation as you in the USA 3 years ago. We bought an ICandy from a UK retailer and had it shipped.

They were crap with us as well when we had problems with a tyre - refusing to provide parts or even tell us specifications. And they were pretty rude about it too. On top of that it turned out the pram was pretty crappy too with some elementary design issues that no buggy company should be making, certainly not a premium one that claimed to have decades of experience.

They are right that your first port of call should be the retailer since your contract is with the retailer. You should call the retailer back and tell them since the buggy isn't fit for use you are returning it at their expense for a full refund (not sure about them paying for shipping if you're abroad, but you can try...). They can take it up with ICandy. You aren't relying on the warranty so don't let them fob you off - you provided money for a pram that works, it doesn't matter what you've done with it if it wasn't working in the first place.

Get yourself a cheap pram in Dubai and then upgrade when you get back - and avoid ICandy like the plague.

trixie123 Tue 31-Jan-12 19:18:54

really sad to read this thread as my icandy has been trouble free, hence no problems to try and get them to sort. I don't understand why taking it out of the country voids the warranty - does that mean they don't expect people to go on holiday with it? What if you had it in the boot and drove to France? Anyway, the upshot is you have paid £££ and have no workable pram. That is NOT your fault and I would suggest that you do all you can to recover it from the retailer so you can go and buy one that does work and then THEY can fight with icandy over it. And congrats on the newborn - please don't let this spoil your time now x

LadyWidmerpool Tue 31-Jan-12 19:24:43

If you bought from a UK retailer you should be covered by UK consumer rights, wherever you take the product. And if it's doesn't blooming well work then you have every right to a refund. Do you have any relatives in the UK who can take it up, you have enough on your plate. Congratulations!

whackamole Tue 31-Jan-12 20:57:14

Surely the warranty has got nothing to do with it? It was delivered faulty - it has not been damaged by you or broken.

lynlynnicebutdim Tue 31-Jan-12 21:00:16

I am also near Kingston and would be happy to throw a strop on the op's behalf at the Bengals customer service desk if it will help

barbie1 Wed 01-Feb-12 08:34:24

Thanks all, dh is currently chasing the UAE stockist to see if we can buy the missing parts just to get mobile and well will continue to work on I candy/
Bentalls.

Bentalls are trying, however due to itme zone difference etc hours are turning into days and nothing has even been arranged yet. Even if they post today we are more than likely have to wait at least a week and incur the charges for delivery.

Post on fb, thanks for the link. Just waiting on a reply...

PeneloPeePitstop Wed 01-Feb-12 08:42:33

Your contract is with the retailer. The buck stops there.

AlizeeS Wed 01-Feb-12 18:11:28

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

Lisa3551 Wed 01-Feb-12 18:55:39

FriggFRIGG Wed 01-Feb-12 18:56:55

That's bloody awful.sad

FriggFRIGG Wed 01-Feb-12 19:01:18

I've just read the link to the FB page,they seem to be sorting it really fast.smile

Tiggywunkle Wed 01-Feb-12 19:22:09

I am sorry to hear about your situation.
It sounds like you are getting the parts so fingers crossed you will be mobile soon.
Congratulations on your new arrival!

Franjayne Wed 01-Feb-12 21:19:25

barbie1 Thu 02-Feb-12 05:41:30

Having read everything I realise that it was the fault of bentalls so stopped contacting I candy and harassed them instead grin

I would of liked I candy to be a little more sympathic though, they could of talked me through the options and offered a little more assistance.

Bentalls have sent the parts this morning, the postal system here is a little hit ad miss so no idea when they will arrive. Just happier to know they are en route.

I'm off to enjoy cuddles with the newborn smile

BagofHolly Thu 02-Feb-12 07:01:47

I have an iCandy Pear, and it's a shit product from a shit company. One of my wheels broke and they said I should send it to them, and they would assess whether it was a manufacturing fault or not, and to allow 21 days for them to think about it and I'd have to pay the courier each way. All on a £800 pram which was 6 months old. What they thought I should do with my then four month old twins, I dont know. I asked could I borrow a wheel whilst mine was away? No. In the end I got my local bike shop to fix it and it was a faulty inner tube valve. So I would have been pramless for 3 weeks for the sake of an innertube that cost me a fiver.
Oh yeah, and all this was relayed through their (helpful) retailer as they wouldn't speak to me direct.

Icandy uk, you suck.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: