Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to take this back to the shop or ask the child's parents to pay?

(53 Posts)
oneofthosedays Sat 31-Dec-11 16:08:08

DD got a whiplash scooter for her birthday 2 weeks ago, she has let a neighbours child have a go on it today, he did a 'bunny hop', whatever that is, and the steering stalk/handle has snapped off the main scooter. Scooter now broken and unuseable. DD is devastated and DH and I are angry with both DD and the child for doing this. DH took the scooter round, child is in tears, father apologetic but no offer to replace was made by them, DH left it at that and came away. Now I've calmed down I'm thinking it probably shouldn't have snapped in the first place being a stunt scooter and all, the website shows loads of little tricks.

So the dilemma is should I take it back to the shop and present it as faulty or should we ask the childs parent directly if they will pay to replace (scooter cost £60 so not exactly cheap) or just accept it and DD will have to do without (cannot afford to replace and cost too low to claim on home ins)? I feel a bit awful asking the parents knowing how upset the child was about this.

inchoccyheaven Sat 31-Dec-11 16:10:07

I would return it if it is a stunt scooter as it doesn't seem to be living up to it's name very well.

2BoysTooLoud Sat 31-Dec-11 16:10:21

Think it should be sturdy enough for a bunnyhop [though would not admit 'misuse' to shop]. Take it back and say fell apart during normal child useage.

GypsyMoth Sat 31-Dec-11 16:10:35

I would return it. If it for stunts, well that's what a bunny hop is. How old is the other child? Is he in the age range it's meant for?

lljkk Sat 31-Dec-11 16:11:12

Return it. Not fit for purpose.

EmmaBemma Sat 31-Dec-11 16:11:14

yes, it doesn't sound fit for purpose. I'd clarify exactly what happened with the child in question, then take it back to the shop.

RedHelenB Sat 31-Dec-11 16:11:17

If they were not doing anything out of the ordinany then I wouldn't ask the child to pay but take it back to the shop.

KeepInMindItsChristmas Sat 31-Dec-11 16:12:45

Take back to the shop

Bathsheba Sat 31-Dec-11 16:13:05

The Amazon reviews say there are loads of known problems with the Whiplash sccoters breaking very easily.

Definately try and get a refund/exchange - take photos etc of the item though as even after an exchange it may happen again

TooEasilyTempted Sat 31-Dec-11 16:13:36

Take it back and if the shop won't replace/refund then go to the child's parents and ask explain this to them. If they are decent people they will at least offer some money towards a replacement.

OriginalJamie Sat 31-Dec-11 16:14:12

I agree. I don't think it would be fair to charge the other parents

2BoysTooLoud Sat 31-Dec-11 16:15:14

I wouldn't ask neighbour for money. Sounds like faulty product.

oneofthosedays Sat 31-Dec-11 16:17:28

yes, child well within weight/age limit for the scooter and was also letting DD have a go of his new scooter so it is sounding like a genuine mistake rather than any malicious misuse on behalf of child. Think I will try return to argos where we bought it and ask for a replacement. There was jumping, spinning tricks on the whiplash website where you would need to pull/put pressure on the handle to do the trick and this bunny hop doesn't so too dissimilar.

Bathsheba Sat 31-Dec-11 16:19:25

Amazon Reviews

Breaking is a very known problem

NewYearFestiveCheer Sat 31-Dec-11 16:19:48

Return it for refund/exchange. The shop should be ok about it as it's not fit for purpose. You don't have to accept an exchange as item was faulty - I'd ask for a refund and get a different brand in light of the bad amazon reviews.

NewYearFestiveCheer Sat 31-Dec-11 16:21:56

If it's Argos you should have no prob - I've taken a Hoover back there after 3 months of use with no problem!!!

Madlizzy Sat 31-Dec-11 16:22:13

Take it back. Argos will accept that it's not fit for purpose.

leftmymistletoeatthedoor Sat 31-Dec-11 16:22:21

Whether or not you get a refund / exchange you can't ask the parents for the money, it was an accident.

I agree it doesn't seem fit for purpose though and I'm not sure I'd want another.

oneofthosedays Sat 31-Dec-11 16:29:45

Can't believe I'm only just seeing the shit reviews for this having totally missed them when we were considering buying this for DD. DH and I have agreed it would not be fair to ask parents to pay, I think the scooter has broken during normal and expected play and we will be taking it back to argos for a refund hopefully, I'm sure the parents are as mortified as the child is upset and don't think it would be fair to blame this on the kid in light of the reviews I've just read. Thanks for the perspective.

fireandthefury Sat 31-Dec-11 16:34:07

Def take it back to Argos.

I've only once returned something there and that was a television, no box, no receipt but a printout of my bank statement showing the purchase (which was several months earlier) and they took it back without any problems at all.

Very helpful they were too.

MrsCampbellBlack Sat 31-Dec-11 16:38:20

Yes agree with everyone else - get a refund and you may want to mention that to the other child's parents as it clearly wasn't his fault.

Bathsheba Sat 31-Dec-11 16:38:24

Also, if I was you, can you go and tell the child who broke it not to be worried or upset anymore - its a problem with the scooter and not their fault...just in case they are still upset and being told off/punished

bigbrownmincepies Sat 31-Dec-11 17:36:58

Ds got one in July for his birthday, a whiplash scooter. He did exactly the same thing, and I was like " wtaf?"! It's a " stunt" scooter that snaps when you do a stunt.
Load of crap.
Took it back to Argos for refund.
Seriously think there's a design fault somewhere... Bloody dangerous!

TheMonster Sat 31-Dec-11 17:46:55

Yep take it back. I bet you don't have a problem.
<ponders returning the vacuum cleaner that the dog attacked>

JenniferEight Sat 31-Dec-11 17:50:54

Oh gosh yes take it back, go round with something little for the kid who broke it as he was clearly really upset about it and I bet his parents are worried about having to pay.

Good luck getting an alternative, don't get the same one again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now