Talk

Advanced search

Voluntary contributions for school educational trips?

(127 Posts)
Swankyswishing Mon 07-Nov-11 11:36:25

Do you always pay these? I always have done but I was talking to a friend who said that she never pays a penny as they are educational visits, those on benefits get them for free and she doesn't see why others should have to pay too if it's to do with the curriculum.

I have to say, I do agree with her. Lots of school trips do seem overpriced too. I'm wondering if those that do pay are charged a bit extra to pay for those that don't pay?

altinkum Mon 07-Nov-11 11:38:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

worraliberty Mon 07-Nov-11 11:39:45

'Those on benefits' don't get them for free.

They are voluntary as you say...but that's only legal wording.

If enough people don't pay, the trips get cancelled.

Oh and the school funds pick up the shortfall...not paying parents.

Swankyswishing Mon 07-Nov-11 11:40:09

So should those that do pay subsidise those that can't/won't/don't pay then?

Swankyswishing Mon 07-Nov-11 11:41:15

"Those on benefits" do get them for free at our school, Worraliberty. I know this for a fact as a friend is on benefits currently and doesn't have to pay for trips, after school activities, or wraparound childcare at the school.

DamnBamboo Mon 07-Nov-11 11:42:05

If I can afford it, I pay.
Why wouldn't you?
I often pay an extra amount if I can afford it because there are always some whose parents irrespective of how much money they have, or how they can spend their money, still don't pay.
Your friend if she can afford it is a fucking tight-arse and people like me (and PTA proceeds) are subsiding her short arms and deep pockets

Swankyswishing Mon 07-Nov-11 11:44:13

So if you can't afford it, you don't pay then, Bamboo?

worraliberty Mon 07-Nov-11 11:44:55

"Those on benefits" do get them for free at our school, Worraliberty. I know this for a fact as a friend is on benefits currently and doesn't have to pay for trips, after school activities, or wraparound childcare at the school

Now just think about what you're actually saying here for a second smile

You've said they're voluntary contributions...therefore everyone gets them for free.

But if not enough people pay, the trip gets cancelled.

If too many parents on benefits or not on benefits decide they want the trip for free...the trip gets cancelled

See what I mean? smile

DamnBamboo Mon 07-Nov-11 11:45:19

Sorry, I meant it is a general statement.

If one can afford it, one should pay.

I have always paid for school trips.

Evilclown Mon 07-Nov-11 11:47:34

Those on benefits do not get them for free. FFS

How dare children whose parents are on benefits go on school trips. How fucking dare they. They will think they are human next.

Swankyswishing Mon 07-Nov-11 11:47:56

I do always pay, BTW, as some of you seem to have the impression that I don't. I did say that in my OP. However, I do think my mate has a point, that if a trip is part of the curriculum, why should some pay for it, and some not pay? Why should those that do pay, who can ill afford to pay, pay more than they would have to pay if everyone paid?

Worraliberty, no trips have been cancelled at our school. No wonder though if most parents are paying over the odds, they're probably more than covering the cost of the trip.

SoupDragon Mon 07-Nov-11 11:49:02

Your friend is an arse.

Swankyswishing Mon 07-Nov-11 11:50:37

Evilclown, you clearly have not read this thread properly, as I have already said that at the school MY children attend, children of parents on benefits DO get to go for FREE.

I have not said anything to put down people on benefits, I suggest you stop trying to put words into my mouth and insinuate I have said things that I have not. Jeez!

DamnBamboo Mon 07-Nov-11 11:51:06

It's often not part of the curriculum though, it's just an extra fun day out. My DS school is going to panto this xmas, sod-all to do with the curriculum.

They got cheap tickets because of the mass-booking and for some kids, it will be the first only time they ever get do to this.

Not judging people who can't take kids due to lack of funds, but if you can afford it, why the hell wouldn't you (meaning that generally) just pay?

SoupDragon Mon 07-Nov-11 11:51:23

"So should those that do pay subsidise those that can't/won't/don't pay then?"

Well, they certainly shouldn't subsidise people who don't pay because they begrudge the fact that poorer people can't.

lovingthecoast Mon 07-Nov-11 11:53:12

Who should pay for it then, Swanky? School cannot afford to so if parents don't contribute, then there will be no school trips. If a trip costs, say, £12, you can bet that at least £9 or£10 of that will be to cover the coast of the coach. Incidently, coach companies up their prices hugely during summer term so that adds to costs.

It's like school dinners. Those on IS may get FSM but those who can afford to pay are expected to do so. It's not rocket science, surely?

Swankyswishing Mon 07-Nov-11 11:55:34

Oh FFS, Lovingthecoast, I have NOT said that parents shouldn't contribute. I do pay. What I said, if you had read the thread properly, is why should those that DO pay (ie me! and many others) pay MORE to cover those that don't/can't/won't pay?

That's not rocket science either is it?

lovingthecoast Mon 07-Nov-11 11:55:57

Just to clarify the legal position which is that primary schools cannot exclude a child from an educational trip due to non-payment of trip cost by parents. Now most schools and reasonable parents interpret that as those who can pay should and for those who struggle, not to worry as school will try and sort it out and you're child will not miss out.

lovingthecoast Mon 07-Nov-11 11:57:10

I have read the thread. I know you said you pay but you also said that your friend had a point. So my pooint was that if parents like you and her stopped paying then trips would cease because schools cannot fund them.

AVoidkaTheKillerZombies Mon 07-Nov-11 11:58:30

Always.

StaceymAloneForver Mon 07-Nov-11 11:58:44

i have been in a position before where i could either buy my dc's new clothes they needed (from carboot/charity where i could) or pay for the school trip for dd to go to a toy museum...

Guess which i did??

Now i am better of financially i pay a bit extra towards the school trips, hopefully i will make up for those i didn't pay.

Your friend is acting like a tit

worraliberty Mon 07-Nov-11 11:58:57

Why should those that do pay, who can ill afford to pay, pay more than they would have to pay if everyone paid?

They DON'T...that's the point.

It's subsidised by school funds hmm

lovingthecoast Mon 07-Nov-11 11:59:20

That would be like me saying why don't DH and I pay less tax because we use independent schools and have private health care and rarely need to see a GP. We pay for a school system we don't use because, well, that's a mark of decent society and collective responsibility.

SoupDragon Mon 07-Nov-11 11:59:46

Why do you think the price of the trips are inflated to cover those who can't afford it?

any such payments come out of a school fund for exactly this kind of thing. I know because i tried to pay off the cost of a friends residential trip but the office wouldn't let me because they have a school fund.

Swankyswishing Mon 07-Nov-11 11:59:57

Oh well, our school has in excess of 20k in the PTA account so it's no hardship then

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: