Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think these 'adults' behaved worse than DS?

(10 Posts)
BOOareHaunting Tue 25-Oct-11 20:55:32

I'm really unsure and looking for answers as to whether IABU or not.

Had a family meal at my parents. Dbro and his GF, Dsis and her DP, DS and I. My sister is due her baby in 6 days!

On arrival we are offered drinks (its make your own from kitchen table) so we were all in the kitchen and then were heading to lounge.

DS saw a camera on the table and asked me if he could take some pictures. DS is 7yo and I know what this entails! I say not now, there's too many people and you'll get under their feet. I said maybe after dinner people wouldn't mind having 1 picture each. Obviously I also considered left to his own devices there was likely to be 100's of pics to delete!

So Mum, Sister and Brother tell me not to be so mean and to let him take photo's if he wants.............................

3 minutes later................

SISTER: <shouts> for goodness sake DS stop taking everyone's photo, not everyone wants their photo taken and so you shouldn't just be taking them.

ME: hmm

BROTHER: DS your going to cram up the memory with loads of photo's that need deleting if you keep taking them.

MUM: DS, your getting under everyone's feet and in their way will you stop taking photos and find something to do.

So I unreasonably ignored DS for a few minutes and let him carry on and then asked him to get my mobile phone and distracted him with games on it.

AIBU to think that 1) they shouldn't have undermined me in the first place and 2) shouldn't have then been really snippy with DS when they realised I was right?

MissVerydead Tue 25-Oct-11 20:59:39

YANBU.

Numpties.

KlickKlackknobsac Tue 25-Oct-11 20:59:55

yanbu
you should have stepped in though before he got it as yor first idea was right
they are stupid

Angelico Tue 25-Oct-11 21:01:08

YANBU. I'm rolling my eyes in sympathy.

NearlyLeglessEuphemia Tue 25-Oct-11 21:01:49

YABU - you let them undermine you; you could have stuck to your guns.

Whose camera was it? If it wasn't yours, YABU for allowing him to think it was okay to use it.

Kayano Tue 25-Oct-11 21:02:03

I would have been sure to have told them that to their face in front of DS and enjoy the look on their faces!

slavetofilofax Tue 25-Oct-11 21:04:42

YANBU, but I would have pointed out the fact that I had just said no for all the reasons they were now complaining about, and the fact that they then undermined what the parent had said, means that they just have to put up with having him use the camera.

MoaninMinny Tue 25-Oct-11 21:09:25

Why make such a big deal of it

its a family, they dont have to stand on ceremony and tread on eggshells surely, just all pitch in and if one says something the other doesnt agree with, whats wrong with just saying so at the time.

to let it fester and annoy you is just daft and makes you look childish

BOOareHaunting Tue 25-Oct-11 21:09:46

nearly camera was mums. She said he could use it after I said he couldn't. Apparently she was really impressed the other day when he named a camera including the 3 letters that he saw on TV. FFS he's 7yo he's memorized every advert to the letter ready for his xmas list! Doesn't mean he gets to have it. angry

kayano My family are very strong minded and opinionated (mainly mum and sis) and arguing with them will just make things worse. Plus my sister is about to give birth so was worse than normal (understandably).

klick I agree but mum gave to to him when I said no.

I was cross because it was DS who was being moaned and shouted at - he had done nothing wrong, poor lad. I am the first to come down on him like a ton o bricks stop him doing something he shouldn't or that's impacting others enjoyment.

BOOareHaunting Tue 25-Oct-11 21:13:15

moanin It's not festering, I had a feeling IWNBU but felt like asking! Now it seems IANBU I will try to say something next time. I agree with being able to say 'well actually I said no he couldn't' but my Mum and sister are strong characters - the type who will crush you if you disagree with them. <sigh>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now