Talk

Advanced search

to put theme park tickets on my credit card?

(10 Posts)
Shreddiessorter Tue 25-Oct-11 19:41:37

We are "broke" at the moment, this means that we have no cash in the bank until Friday.

Last week I ordered theme park tickets using vouchers for tomorrow as it's the only day I'm not working between now and Christmas, and as half term thought it'd be a nice treat. My two are having a friend each coming.

Tickets haven't arrived sad, contacted company and they said they were sent out second class (no option for first and didn't say it was second class post when ordered), and they expect them to arrive either tomorrow or Thursday.

If they arrive tomorrow morning (post delivered at 11 so will miss the morning at park) great we go.

If they don't arrive tomorrow morning, I want to buy tickets on my credit card, but dh says no because we can't buy them with cash.

AIBU to put them on my card, and give the kids a treat, or do I tell the kids they are not going? I feel awful letting down all 4 kids.

mousyfledermaus Tue 25-Oct-11 19:42:55

don't do it if you can't repay quickly.

foreverondiet Tue 25-Oct-11 19:45:23

You made a mistake ordering so late. Do something else cheaper tomorrow.

I have learned from past mistakes that need to order from tesco at least 2 weeks in advance.....

cwtch4967 Wed 26-Oct-11 13:18:04

If you can't afford it you can't afford it - getting into debt to give the kids a treat is ridiculous especially with Christmas fast approaching.

Scholes34 Wed 26-Oct-11 13:25:06

My BIL works for Royal Mail. The mailings from the type of mailing company Tesco uses are only delivered towards the end of the week, usually Friday, so you need to order at least two weeks ahead to be sure to get your tickets on time.

If you intend to pay, don't wait for the post, go early and get value for money. I think you should consider a cheaper option for a day's entertainment if money is an issue.

vincentvangogh Wed 26-Oct-11 13:33:15

If you can't afford it it doesn't seem sensible to splash out on a "treat" like this. It's a treat for the few hours you're in the park, then it's a debt.

Ghoulwithadragontattoo Wed 26-Oct-11 13:37:16

Could you use the tickets on another day (even if it's next year) and do something cheaper tomorrow? I know it's a shame when DC's are looking forward to it but it's not the sort of thing I'd get into debt for. Plus is very expensive if you pay full gate price (most people seem to have vouchers).

LIZS Wed 26-Oct-11 13:38:48

It won't only be the tickets though will it even the most basic refreshment will be extortionate ? Are the tickets dated for tomorrow ? If not could you not go at a weekend or dh take them ?

aldiwhore Wed 26-Oct-11 13:39:56

If they don't arrive in the morning, then you call the trip off. Be honest, say that it simply hasn't worked out this time, but you are not going to break your promise and will take them at a later date.

I have no issue with telling my kids we're broke at the moment, I actually think they appreciate the honesty. But then, DH is self employed so we're very much a 'feast or famine' family and I feel they deserve to understand.

My kids are quite young as well (8 and 4) and I don't go on and on about our financial affairs to them, but it doesn't hurt to explain sometimes, its reality after all. I THINK they understand.

I'm all for keeping promises, but promises ARE flexible, you just have to do it at a later date. Unless you can afford to pay it off the credit card straight away, don't do it.

However, I'm very much a cash person, or rather 'if I can't afford it I don't get it' person, I'm also shit at financial managment so this works for me. My mother is a demon at financial management so if you were like her, hooked on shuffling credit, always getting the best deals and really on the ball, then I wouldn't see an issue at all.

BOOareHaunting Wed 26-Oct-11 13:58:43

Can you afford to pay it off when you get paid? IE if you are paying a regular amount to pay one off (as I am!) could you afford the normal payment + the extra spent on it?

If yes then I don't see why not.

If your adding debt then I would say don't go. Especially because the weather isn't that great at the moment and it's a lot of money to spend for a day in the wind/rain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now