Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To want shout "are you ****ing stupid?"

(17 Posts)
SoupDragon Mon 24-Oct-11 18:31:57

At the driver whose little girl, perhaps aged 3, was standing up with her head out of the car window whenever they were stopped at traffic lights. The driver did make the child sit down when they moved but there is no way whatsoever that child had a seatbelt on, let alone a harness.

Are some people really that thick?

Saltire Mon 24-Oct-11 18:33:00

Sadly yes!sad.

Magneto Mon 24-Oct-11 18:33:10

Yep, my dh's step father is one of them. Hence why ds goes absolutely nowhere near him.

Saltire Mon 24-Oct-11 18:36:26

We used to travel up the M6 a lot and now frequent the A1 and A66 and it never ceases to amaze me the amount of people who travel with children in the back who are
not in car seats or restrained with belts
Sitting on adults knees (one car had 3 adults in back and 3 toddlers on their knees)
Standing up between front seats.
Or the amount of drivers (mostly women actually) who had a car full of children and were texting/using phone/reading (yes really)/or generally weaving all over the road

Andrewofgg Mon 24-Oct-11 19:37:45

On a coach recently I had to say to a nice lady that if the police drove past and saw here DCs standing and indeed jumping up and down on the seats they would stop the coach, she would be fined and we would all be delayed and she would simply have to make them sit down with their seat-belts on and stay that way. I was sorry for her, she was overburdened; but that's how it was. And she apologised and did it.

SweatTart Mon 24-Oct-11 20:07:03

I was waiting outside a school in the next town over from me, and as I tried to get in the side st where the school was, about 40 cars passed me. Not ONE child was legally transported. Some were in seats or on booster seats, but without belts on. Most were sat without a seat or belt. I was absolutely gobsmacked. One car had four children across the back seat, with an empty passenger seat, on 7 seater had NINE people in it.

I couldn't believe it. I went into the school for my appointment (for work, I am not a parent at this school) and said to the Head "I've just been sat for ten minutes waiting to get in here, and I couldn't believe...." She interrupted me "seat belts? I know, we have the police here all the time giving advice and fines."

I wanted to go in to the next assembly and tell the children "PUT YOUR SEATBELT ON, EVEN IF YOUR PARENTS DON'T GIVE DAMN ENOUGH ABOUT YOU TO MAKE YOU DO IT, JUST DO IT!!"

A few of the drivers I saw were wearing their belts. Just not their kids.

In the same town, waiting to cross a road on foot, I saw two women on the back seat of a car holding babies (one newborn) on their laps.
I'd love to be a police officer when I see this, and I see it EVERY day.

Goober Mon 24-Oct-11 20:10:50

YANBU

Fucking fuckwitted nob 'eads.

Andrewofgg Mon 24-Oct-11 20:11:15

I've mentioned this before, but it still makes me laugh (or cry) to remember it: I once saw a woman driving while breastfeeding. Or possibly the other way round. Either way it struck me as doubtful childcare and disastrous driving!

AKMD Mon 24-Oct-11 20:14:20

YANBU. Some people really are that ignorant. Other people come from Italy countries where wearing a seatbelt is something you do while overtaking a police car.

Bossybritches22 Mon 24-Oct-11 20:16:18

Instead of wasting taxpayers money I'd say take 'em down the mortuary & show them the results of a body through a window.

Except they'd all claim mental torture & demand compensation so maybe not.

sigh

BimboOnABroomstickNo5 Mon 24-Oct-11 20:20:54

Oh im pmsl about someone bf and driving. No doubt someone will come on here saying bf reduces the risk of SIDS/meningitis/obesity etc so is statistically safer than driving...

sharenicely Mon 24-Oct-11 20:31:15

Bfeeding and driving.!??
When Ds was in a sling I often thought it would be easier just to get in the car with him still in the sling. Luckily I still have a modicum of common sense so didn't, some people clearly don't!

ballstoit Mon 24-Oct-11 20:37:29

YANBU...the parent who makes me angriest at the DCs school never has belts on her DC in the car but wouldn't let them go on a trip to the park with school as she felt it was too risky for them to walk near busy roads confused

DedalusDigglesPocketWatch Mon 24-Oct-11 20:46:58

I saw a woman pass her newborn over to the passenger before getting in the driving seat. There was a fucking dog in the baby's car seat, so newborn in front passenger seat on someone's lap.

In-fucking-believable.

DedalusDigglesPocketWatch Mon 24-Oct-11 20:47:56

Stupid phone! Should be un fucking- believable (sigh) grin

SoupDragon Mon 24-Oct-11 21:27:51

I will admit to breastfeeding ds1 in the outside lane of the M5 once.

However, I wasnt driving and the traffic was completely stationary due to an accident much further up.

I am lax about many things, safety in the car is not one of them. I couldn't believe the woman in this car was alowing her child to stand up with their head and upper body out of the window. I did restrain myself from shouting rudely at her because I had my children in the car.

SweatTart Mon 24-Oct-11 21:46:25

I've seen that done along the prom at blackpool illuminations, kids on seats with their heads out the sunroof...
Lots do it there, I don't, we have windows, but it's very common there. Then again, it IS stop/start at a maximum of 5 MPH if you're lucky.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now