Talk

Advanced search

To be so fuckety fucked off with fleas!

(46 Posts)
Arachnophobic Mon 24-Oct-11 16:55:20

Sorry I so badly need to rant.

Dcat is treated once a month to prevent fleas but despite this the cat has got bloody fleas. There are boxes everywhere, we are trying to move house, and I have just spent £35 on two tins of stuff for the house, which isn't enough. The house stinks and I have done the upstairs, waiting for it to settle will put the kids to bed later then do the down stairs.

I don't need this!!! Found a bite on DS this morning which made me sad

AIBU to be fucked off and also slightly worried that I won't be able to control these damn things. Not sure I will sleep tonight worrying about this. The cat has had frontline and the house is being treated with RIP fleas.

Please don't flame me if this has been posted in the wrong place!

Ariesgirl Mon 24-Oct-11 16:56:56

Fleas are a nightmare. YANBU sad

I'd heard that fleas are becoming resistant to Frontline as well, and there is another, better one you could try. Perhaps ask on the Pets section of MN?

Kayano Mon 24-Oct-11 16:57:56

.... What
Do you treat them with? We use frontline monthly and have never had an occurrence since we
Got cat no2 and he came with fleas sad we saved him from his nasty owner

Arachnophobic Mon 24-Oct-11 16:58:31

Frontline once a month.

saltyair Mon 24-Oct-11 17:00:14

My vet told me that Frontline is close to useless...you need to get Advocate which I think you can only get from the vet. Sorted my fleabags out very quickly and they had an infestation several fleas!

poorbuthappy Mon 24-Oct-11 17:01:47

I am feeling your pain. I thought we got rid but I am still being bitten to shit and I thank the lord its not summer cos I look gross. sad

We used frontline 3 weeks ago. And the acclaim stuff on the house. And washed everything at a very high temp.

So we can be pissed off together. angry

catgirl1976 Mon 24-Oct-11 17:03:43

YANBU sad I hate fleas. Ours seem to ages with out getting them and then get RIDDLED. We use Frontline.

Once, in a meeting with my boss, he said - I am sure a flea just jumped on my desk. I was blush although said "Well, it can't be a flea, they can't live on people" and tried to bluster it but deep down felt like skanky flea girl sad

MixedClassBaby Mon 24-Oct-11 17:03:56

Frontline doesn't work on my cat. Advantage does. Many cats immune to frontline.

Annpan88 Mon 24-Oct-11 17:05:09

I feel your pain! Recently had the bastards here. The first one I saw jumped off DS. Made me want to cry. After several tins of spray and tears I hired someone for £45 (council wanted to charge £92) and fingers crossed haven't noticed the fuckers in a while (probably jinxed it now). Make sure you spray the skirting boards and hoover them the most (that's what the blokey did)

Good luck! Xxxx

SacreLao Mon 24-Oct-11 17:06:00

As others have said a lot of fleas are now resistant to frontline. Try advantage or effipro. Both reliable spot on treatments. It may also be worth looking into the flea injection that vets offer if your cat is prone to fleas.

When treating the house use a vet formula, never bob martin rubbish and make sure you treat every where! All room edges, bedding, curtains etc. the pesky things can hide in the smallest of missed spots.

mrstiredandconfused Mon 24-Oct-11 17:07:08

You can get frontline combo (also from the vet - oddly they recommended this above Advocate confused ) and that treats the cat and the house. We also used Acclaim spray (apparently this is "industrial strength" but we only found out about it after we bought every bloody product Pets at Home had) and it is excellent. Other than that I'm afraid it's a case of washing everything you can, hoovering carpets to within an inch of their lives and spray, spray, spray

ClaimedByMe Mon 24-Oct-11 17:08:34

Have you been putting your heating on? The fleas lay eggs in carpets and soft furnishing then when you put the heating on it's warm enough for them to hatch!

mrstiredandconfused Mon 24-Oct-11 17:08:55

I second SacreLao - Bob Martin is crap!

MixedClassBaby Mon 24-Oct-11 17:16:50

Bob Martin just winds the bastards up.

mumto3boysHE Mon 24-Oct-11 17:17:59

Fleas are tough & gain resistance to the chemicals really quickly. The stuff you can buy yourself tends to sort out the adults but doesn't hang around long enough to kill the infants as they hatch out. The young fleas then become more resiliant to the chemical.

Fleas will lay eggs under skirtings & floorboards & even in plug sockets! We are pest controllers & they are finding them more & more difficult to get rid of as time goes on. The stuff we use has a residual element so it hangs around to catch the hatchlings as well (unfortunately you cannot buy this stuff over the counter)

If you find after a couple of weeks you still have them, it will be the hatchlings & I recommend you get the professionals in (but of course, I am biased! grin)

JanePumpkin Mon 24-Oct-11 17:18:29

I felt like this a couple of months ago - we were using frontline, fipronil, progream as well. She was really suffering and there were visible eggs where she slept. I was scared about it.

We eventually caved in and went and bought Advocate from the vet, and within a few days there was not a sign of a flea either on the cat or in the house...no more eggs when she got up from sleeping, literally, all obliterated. I was impressed.

It's dear though - was around 40 for 6 months worth but then, it works, and you can buy a script from the vet and buy it online next time.

Don't panic - and don't spray your house, you don't need to, we didn't and there has been no sign at all. Fleas can't survive on human blood anyway.

JanePumpkin Mon 24-Oct-11 17:19:57

also it's pointless treating the house. If your cat is an outdoor cat, it will meeta hedgehog or other cat very quickly, pick up more fleas, you have a vicious curcle.

The only way is regularly to treat the animal itself. The house will sort itself out very fast.

saltyair Mon 24-Oct-11 17:20:21

Bob Martin also has the added 'bonus' that it can cause actual health problems in your cat! As well as not killing the bastard fleas.

JanePumpkin Mon 24-Oct-11 17:22:02

sorry about bad typing, keyboard is in a weird place.

benandhollyandgaston Mon 24-Oct-11 17:22:05

We used effipro on our dog and it did do the trick after trying a load of old crap from the petshop.

The vet told me effipro is just frontline under a different (cheaper) name though, so be warned it's probably not worth trying if frontline isn't working.

alistron1 Mon 24-Oct-11 17:24:50

Can I recommend 'stronghold', found it to be far more effective than frontline.

BikeRunSki Mon 24-Oct-11 17:25:47

We had this, Frontline no good, cat constantly flea-y. Paid a pest control man £90 t0 c0me and zap the house a few months ago - and the fleas have not been back.

We don't have a cat, but the person who sold us our house had three.

After we moved in we had to get the pest control department of the council to come out twice before the fleas were gone. I can tell you that your buyers will not be impressed with you if you leave them with a carpet full of fleas when you go and you could be taking the infestation to your new house too. Cat fleas can lie dormant for months in an empty house.

It cost us £45 for the first visit, second was free as it was within four weeks of the first, and that seems to have done the trick. It's also killed off every creepy-crawly in the house, but we are still planning to replace all the carpets as soon as we can because I itch just looking at them if I remember the fleas now.

The man who came out said that the flea bomb things can be a false economy and it's best to get the professionals out right at the start.

I think it's best if you take the cat to the vets for the most effective treatment and get someone out to spray the house professionally to stand the biggest chance of getting rid of them once and for all.

Dawndonna Mon 24-Oct-11 17:26:49

Frontline is crap for my dog.

Oh and wash or get rid of any pet bedding that might be infested too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now