Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To expect balloons, cake, a standing ovation and cheering at the very least?

(28 Posts)
ZombiesAteYourCervix Mon 24-Oct-11 16:10:46

I am off to give blood shortly. It will be my 25th.

Will there be a celebration waiting for me?

worraliberty Mon 24-Oct-11 16:11:42

No, but do they still provide tea and biscuits?

That might be as good as it gets.

headfairy Mon 24-Oct-11 16:12:55

wow, I'm impressed, I've only just started giving, done it twice. I think you can justifiably help yourself to an extra biscuit!

ZombiesAteYourCervix Mon 24-Oct-11 16:12:59

They have excellent snacks normally. Tuc biscuits and custard cremes.

I'm expecting rather more though.

Meglet Mon 24-Oct-11 16:14:14

Well done! Go you! smile

headfairy Mon 24-Oct-11 16:14:19

We usually have piles of bags of crisps... I assume that's because the salt will help raise blood pressure a bit? It's the only time I ever have a packet of crisps so quite a major treat for me in a pathetic kind of way!

ZombiesAteYourCervix Mon 24-Oct-11 16:14:22

A bouquet of flowers would be nice too.

Do you think I'll need to make a speech?

fuzzynavel Mon 24-Oct-11 16:17:27

You'll get a nice sticker in your little book though smile

ZombiesAteYourCervix Mon 24-Oct-11 16:18:43

what little book? I have no little book shock How do I get a little book and stickers?

Floggingmolly Mon 24-Oct-11 16:20:30

They used to give little silver or gold pelican badges, at every significant donation (x number of total pints donated). Do they not do this any more?

mawbroon Mon 24-Oct-11 16:21:09

<feels bad at not having been to give blood for about 100 years>

I got a lapel badge for 10 pints. You must surely get something for 25??

Well done though, here's some flowers thanks

headfairy Mon 24-Oct-11 16:21:39

If they don't ask you to give a speech why not just stand up and give one anyway? At least half the room won't have much choice about sitting (lying) there and listening grin

Psammead Mon 24-Oct-11 16:21:46

You will nibble foie gras to the sound of trumpets whilst being fanned by naked, oiled men with palm fronds.

smartyparts Mon 24-Oct-11 16:21:49

I think you get a pin type badge, I got something - can't remember for sure. They haven't done the little book for years!

ZombiesAteYourCervix Mon 24-Oct-11 16:23:19

Psamm - That is sounding mighty fine and a fitting tribute to my fabulousness.

ZombiesAteYourCervix Mon 24-Oct-11 16:24:16

'm orff. I'm quite excited.

I will be gutted if they turn me down or if there is no celebration

Kayano Mon 24-Oct-11 16:25:57

YABU.

Because what I thought was birthday related drama is actually about giving blood

And I am needle phobic

And now upset

And I need a piece of cake to get over it

angry you are not invited to my birthday party

longjane Mon 24-Oct-11 16:33:22

you get different colour cards now

and hope you all on the
bone marrow register as well
http://www.nhsbt.nhs.uk/bonemarrow/qa/index.asp#whatis

ZombiesAteYourCervix Mon 24-Oct-11 17:53:04

HUrrah! I am back. I got a neat little pin badge and a stifercat too.

I got rejected by the Bone Marrow people - too old and fat <<sob>>

ZombiesAteYourCervix Mon 24-Oct-11 17:53:59

and I got a nice cup of tea and one of those delicious nut/yogurt bar thingys.

headfairy Mon 24-Oct-11 18:05:20

Very nice, I'm actually looking forward to my next appointment, not until Nov 29th. We're a very generous lot in Surrey. The Naice man on the Blood donor helpline said it's always really hard to get appointments in my neck of the woods as everyone's always at it!

Giving blood that is.

Just thought I'd clear that up.

As you were.

colken Mon 24-Oct-11 18:07:41

Yes, (she bragged), I've been there. I got a bronze heart brooch for 10 donations, a silver brooch for 25 and a gold one for 50. There was also a presentation for about twenty people who'd reached a 50+ milestone and I was presented with a certificate, a photograph and a gold brooch. I thought that reaching 50 dinations was a target won so I was pleased that I'd done it. Others being presented though had done 75 or even more. The trouble is that these days, if you take tablets or have a 'condition' of some sort, your blood will not be taken.

In South Africa where I did it a couple of years ago and probably other countries, it doesn't matter what tablets you take. You can give blood because they are desperate for it.

BOOareHaunting Mon 24-Oct-11 18:21:46

Well done fantastic. grin

Do I get a badge for being diagnosed with a chronic condition I didn't know I had until I tried to donate blood. I'm now black listed!! wink

SauvignonBlanche Mon 24-Oct-11 18:26:34

Congratulations! grin thanks
They don't want mine. envy

colken Mon 24-Oct-11 18:27:46

It's rather demoralising when you try to donate and are refused. I found that after I aimed for 75 donations but was taking tablets. I didn't start to do it to get brooches (when I started, I didn't know that the brooches/badges existed. I did it to help my grandfather who was ill. Not that he got my blood but it was just a contribution.

I was at a hospital when my father was ill after cancer surgery and needed a transfusion urgently. I stepped forward immediately at his bedside with my donation card and it was declined because the blood 'had to be tested' so they had to use what was in their bank. (No it wasn't an EU rule).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now