Talk

Advanced search

to break into my neighbours house and let the rabid dog out?o

(25 Posts)
MrsStephenFry Mon 24-Oct-11 13:33:29

its a terrace house, the dog is incredibly loud and is barking every two seconds for the last three hours. It sounds distressed, as am I at this stage, as is my afraid of dogs toddler who thinks it is in our house because it is so loud.
We dont even have gardens,they shouldnt keep a fucking dog in the first place. Someone shoot it, or me, I dont care which, just make the fucking noise stop!

Mardymwahhaha Mon 24-Oct-11 13:35:02

RSPCA?

ScaredBear Mon 24-Oct-11 13:35:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DooinMeCleanin Mon 24-Oct-11 13:36:20

I don't have a garden. I have three dogs. All cared for very well, ta muchly.

If the dog is rabid I would suggest your neighbour calls the vet immediately. Rabies can be treated if it's caught early enough.

HTH.

EricNorthmansMistress Mon 24-Oct-11 13:38:47

Of course you can't let it out. You can call the RSPCA and environmental health, however.

minsmum Mon 24-Oct-11 13:39:42

Phone the animal warden at your council. They should go round and speak to the owner. If that has no effect, you need to call environmental health at the council. The RSPCA will just check that it has shelter, water, food etc

worraliberty Mon 24-Oct-11 13:40:52

Does it normally do this or have they just got the dog?

ditavonteesed Mon 24-Oct-11 13:42:09

regularly, or just today, becauuse if this is a one of you are so unreasonable. and if not then something needs to be done, the owner may not be aware that the dog barks if they are ot. also no reason not to have a dog with no garden as long as it is taken out plenty.

DogsBeastFiend Mon 24-Oct-11 13:48:16

I wish more people were aware that there is NO point suggesting the RSPCA, that this is a noise nuisance and NOT a welfare issue and that the RSPCA can and will do precisely NOTHING.

OP, call your council's environmental health department and report the noise nuisance, let them take it from there and decide whether there is a case to answer or not.

Other than that, I agree with Dooin.

MrsStephenFry Mon 24-Oct-11 13:53:49

I think it is a welfare issue though. the no garden point was that they don't take it out for walks either. Its closed up in a small room, barking constantly, howling, and I can hear it running and crashing into furniture/walls/not sure.

It is a noise nuisance as well, its incredibly loud, too load to drown out with radio/tv, you can hear it in every room of the house, add that to my toddler roaring crying and screaming that the dog is going to get her and begging me to get rid of it. sad We can't even go out to get away from it its pissing down freezing and I have no money.

Fucking bastard irresponsible owners.

worraliberty Mon 24-Oct-11 13:55:13

What did they say when you raised this with them?

How long has it been going on?

MrsStephenFry Mon 24-Oct-11 13:56:43

Months, although they disappear for weeks at a time and its lovely and peaceful. They don't answer the door though so I can't speak to them about it.

ScaredBear Mon 24-Oct-11 13:58:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DooinMeCleanin Mon 24-Oct-11 13:59:06

The RSPCA won't be interested in that either, providing the dog is fed and watered and has shelter.

Your local council will be interested in the noise aspect. Your local dog warden might be interested and might pay them a visit. It depends how lucky you are.

I take offence at the insinuation that having no garden means you cannot adquately care for a dog. Mine are all walked at least twice a day, three times a day more often than not and are very well loved and cared for.

A good neighbour would start by talking face to face with the neighbour, who might be unaware of the issue and who might have fitness groups etc to attend during the day and so walks her dog at daft o clock in the morning and late on an evening while all the normal, sane people are alseep. Just a thought.

worraliberty Mon 24-Oct-11 14:00:29

I'm sure they have to leave the house/answer the door at some point?

I think the best thing to do in that case is put a note through the door explaining that their dog barks constantly when they're out.

They may have absolutely no idea and could well be mortified.

SucksToBeMe Mon 24-Oct-11 14:02:57

My neighbour came and told me my dog would howl when i popped out. i didnt realise and felt terrible for neighbour/dog.
now I drop my dog of at a relatives house if i go out. i'm glad my neighbour let me know. Good luck MrsFry, it can be very distressing to listen to.

KD0706 Mon 24-Oct-11 14:05:26

I agree it's a council enviro health concern. Try them. I think it might be a fairly long process but fingers crossed you'll get there.

Like dooin I had a dog for years without a garden. He was very well cared for and I would have taken serious issue with anybody claiming he was neglects simply due to our lack of garden.

I hope you do get things resolved. Can you maybe post in behaviour for suggestions on how to reassure your DS? I'm clueless I'm afraid, but I think that maybe if he's less scared of the barking, it might be slightly less of a nuisance for you. As I say, I really don't know what might achieve this but something like meeting friendly dogs??

MrsStephenFry Mon 24-Oct-11 14:06:32

I'm sure they do but unless I stand outside on the street 24/7 I'm not going to know when, am I? They don't answer the door like normal people.

If you have no garden and don't walk your dog, wouldn't you say that was not looking after them properly? I suppose they might walk them at 3 in the morning, but then the dog wouldn't be trying to leave the house through a brick wall, I would have thought.

My toddler is afraid of dogs because another irresponsible twats dog bit her badly a few months back. Oddly enough this makes her a bit wary of dogs. We're working on it, but having the hound of hell barking through the walls for several hours at a time isn't really helping our efforts.

DogsBeastFiend Mon 24-Oct-11 14:07:49

You're going to need far more than that to convince the RSPCA that this is a welfare issue I'm afraid.

You're better off addressing it from the POV of noise nuisance and consulting your local dog warden for advice. Depending on

A Whether your council has a DW at all and not just a stand in stray catcher

B How proactive the DW is if he exists in your borough/district

C What his workload is

the DW will advise you further and may, in conjunction/cooperation with the noise nuisance team make a visit to the neighbour.

The idea that the dog never goes out - so where does it toilet?

I have 3 bloody great dogs whom I often walk seperately or in twos and have lived in a small village for over 18 months yet still people say that they've never seen one of them before or assume that one/more of my own dogs are my dog-sitting/walking charges. That's because I have no set routine for dogwalking times. If the owner of your neighbour's dog walks him early mornings before you're up or late nights when you're asleep, while you're on the school run/at work etc it's possible that you haven't seen it but that it does happen.

DogsBeastFiend Mon 24-Oct-11 14:12:00

Mrs, plenty of people don't answer the door to univited callers or strangers - as is their right. Don't read too much into that.

Additionally, I know and have worked with heaps of dogs who are regularly and well walked and yet still bark/howl in the owners' absence. It's called separation anxiety and has generally got sod all to do with the amount of exercise offered.

DogsBeastFiend Mon 24-Oct-11 14:13:28

Anyway, it's possible that you are entirely correct on all points and that there is a welfare issue. And, you've been advised of the correct and (legally) most efficient way of dealing with it if so. Hope that helps.

worraliberty Mon 24-Oct-11 14:15:09

Just put a note through the door telling him their dog barking is disturbing you...ask them to knock and discuss it.

MrsStephenFry Mon 24-Oct-11 14:18:23

Thanks for the help. I am aware I'm being chippy but I now have an awful headache with the barking, the crying, and the tv on loud to distract the children (from either the barking or the crying). I may be a little bit crazy by now.

I left a note the last time it was very bad, they never contacted me, or did anything. The noise is AWFUL and I have a ton of work to do today. sad

KD0706 Mon 24-Oct-11 15:48:07

Certainly doesn't sound like fun op.

Please don't think I'm having a go about your DSs fear, I was just trying to think of something in your control (ie not reliant on the local authority getting their act in gear) which could make things easier for you.

Hope the poor dog isn't neglected and I hope you get some peace soon. smile

LorelaisMommy Mon 24-Oct-11 16:24:33

We had this issue at our last flat. No garden (not always an issue, I know) but the guy in the flat opposite was 'looking after' his mates' dalmation in the flat. He was out all day and pissed all night. We complained to him, the landlord, the council, RSPCA, anyone we could think of. The landlord was a chocolate fireguard, the RSPCA couldn't do anything as the dog was 'visited' once every 24hrs. The council said we would have to do a noise issue thing and record the frequency and volume for 3 months!!!!! angry
We moved.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now