Talk

Advanced search

to be put off?

(23 Posts)
Faffalina Mon 24-Oct-11 09:32:06

Arranged one of those meet a local mum dates. The other woman seems very friendly but... When we finalised our plans for tomorrow via text, she called me "hun". Twice.

Feel a bit put off meeting up now! Am I being not just unreasonable but also judgemental and silly?

worraliberty Mon 24-Oct-11 09:37:06

YANBU <shudders>

Then again...'Meet a local Mum date'? <shudders again>

AFuckingKnackeredWoman Mon 24-Oct-11 09:40:44

She will call her children bubz while you are out with her. Do you really want your child exposed to those vile words?...

worraliberty Mon 24-Oct-11 09:46:14

And you'd better like chick peas and mung beans cos that's all you'll be getting grin

echt Mon 24-Oct-11 09:48:07

God - bubz. They do that Oz all the time.<boak>

I DO like chickpeas, though.

TethHearseEnd Mon 24-Oct-11 09:49:49

Some of my best friends say 'hun'.

mycatoscar Mon 24-Oct-11 09:50:44

Oh hun, watch out for the greggs sausage rolls! grin

I met one of my best mummy friends on netmums meet-a-mum, she does call everyone hun but she is absolutely lovely.

Go for it, what's to lose?

tooearlymustdache Mon 24-Oct-11 09:50:54

she's only being friendly, i call RL people pet names <shrugs>, usually when i know them really well, but i don't think the other woman is going to turn up with an LCD ticker stuck to her forehead grin

but if she does be sure to take plenty of pictures and post them here

BlueKangaroo22 Mon 24-Oct-11 09:58:43

im sorry, but what exactly is wrong with those words?
those agreeing and taking the piss out of people who use these words, take a step back and grow the fuck up.

worraliberty Mon 24-Oct-11 10:15:36

Oh hun we're just having a little Monday morning laugh dahlink....

AlpinePony Mon 24-Oct-11 10:23:06

Yes of course you're being unreasonable, and a massive snob to boot.

MoaninMinny Mon 24-Oct-11 10:33:56

take your knitted yoghurt recipe book

fuzzynavel Mon 24-Oct-11 10:37:48

Agree with BlueKangeroo. They are just words for god sake!

YABU and very judgemental to boot. If I were her and knew what you'd just written, I wouldn't want to meet YOU.

Bluesue26 Mon 24-Oct-11 10:38:16

Get over yourself OP.

2wwmadness Mon 24-Oct-11 10:40:37

I think op is joking?!?

Faffalina Mon 24-Oct-11 10:59:40

Kind of joking, 2wwmadness. I will still be going to meet her. The only RL people I know that call everybody by pet-names are friendly to everyone's faces but a little bitchy behind their backs.

She may well prove me wrong. And as I want to meet some people in my area, I ought to be a little less picky, I'm sure grin

ImperialBlether Mon 24-Oct-11 11:22:32

I hope the OP isn't joking!

BOOareHaunting Mon 24-Oct-11 11:33:41

My closest friend had occasionally called me 'hun'. A collegue (who is lovely, very down to earth and not the type you'd expect to use twee words) also used it to me the other day. (admittedly after I was assualted by a pupil!).

I don't think it make any difference to who she is.

BUT if she isn't 'your type' and a bit over bearing then yes, run for the hills!

HardCheese Mon 24-Oct-11 11:37:56

I think it's pretty strange to be addressed by a pet name in a text message from someone you've never met before. Also, it's 'hon' (short for 'honey'), not 'hun' as in derogatory word for German or NI Protestant, for God's sake.

booberella Mon 24-Oct-11 11:40:21

Yabu- grow up! She's just trying to be friendly! And there is nothing wrong with bubs (providing it's spelt with an s not a z) :-)

jetsetlil Mon 24-Oct-11 11:41:40

I use hun and love a lot - couldn't give a shit if it gets on peoples nerves. YABU and sound horrid. Hope the mum is on mumsnet and fucks you off to be honest!

Faffalina Mon 24-Oct-11 11:51:37

jetsetlil hmmmm, "horrid" is a bit harsh, hun wink

Pagwatch Mon 24-Oct-11 11:55:49

It grates a bit to be honest - nails down a blackboard stuff.
But I would never dislike someone just because they use it. The nicest woman I have ever known uses it. I smile...
She's lovely.

I think this is a jokey thread. I wouldn't take it too seriously

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now