Talk

Advanced search

Packed Lunch

(29 Posts)
Weetabixchanger Sun 23-Oct-11 19:37:43

Feel like I'm starving my boy - okay not literally I'm aware there are real starving children in the world.

But my ds has a cooked school meal which he normally has 3rds of (both main and pudding), therefore I don't normally have to do packed lunch.

If we are going out for a picnic I always take enough food to feed anyone else who happens to be in the park that day. blush

Anyway tomorrow my 6yo is off for a full day of sports and needs to take him a packed lunch - I have just packed:

a round of ham sandwiches
chunk of cheese
grapes
apple
2 fairy cakes
penguin
Apple juice
Water

DH says that is plenty - I've said he's going to be famished. Do I need to do more???

CMOTdibbler Sun 23-Oct-11 19:42:37

tbh, I'd add another sandwich as thats going to be snacks as well. My 5 year old has to have more than that in his packed lunch for holiday club. Sometimes he leaves some, and sometimes it is demolished

BarkisIsWillin Sun 23-Oct-11 19:42:49

How about adding some cold pasta?

Weetabixchanger Sun 23-Oct-11 19:44:05

Ooh cold pasta hadn't thought of that - great idea, carbs will fill him up nicely.

Cheeseandseveredfingersarnie Sun 23-Oct-11 19:44:22

i think that sounds perfect.

Weetabixchanger Sun 23-Oct-11 19:44:40

Oh forgot that's snacks as well - right def doing pasta.

Beamur Sun 23-Oct-11 19:48:06

That's a pretty substantial lunch for a 6 yr old. Two cakes and a chocolate biscuit?
I'd be inclined to ditch a cake or two and put in some more carbs/protein if he is that hungry.
3rds? Are the portions really tiny? If not, are you possibly over feeding him?

Weetabixchanger Sun 23-Oct-11 19:50:17

He's very very tall with hollow legs.

Andrewofgg Sun 23-Oct-11 20:57:45

From ^The Wind in the Willow^:

'There's cold chicken inside it,' replied the Rat briefly;
'coldtonguecoldhamcoldbeefpickledgherkinssaladfrenchrollscresssan
dwichespottedmeatgingerbeerlemonadesodawater----'

worraliberty Sun 23-Oct-11 21:08:24

That's more than enough food for a little child

Especially one who will be running around all day...he won't be able to move if you give him any more than that.

I assume he'll be eating breakfast and dinner too?

squeakyfreakytoy Sun 23-Oct-11 21:11:12

My husband is 6ft tall, and does a 12 hour day of labour intensive work.. and that would be more than enough for him, never mind a bloody child!

handsomeharry Sun 23-Oct-11 21:17:41

It sounds like a huge amount of food.

notlettingthefearshow Sun 23-Oct-11 21:17:54

Put some more food in if you're not sure - pasta salad or similar is a good idea. Or another sandwich? If he is slim and energetic I wouldn't worry about him eating too much, as he clearly needs it.

Dumpyandabdabs Sun 23-Oct-11 21:20:42

I know they are considered the work of the devil on MN but I would probably chuck in a packet of crisps or some crackers.

ilovesooty Sun 23-Oct-11 21:22:02

Sounds ok to me.

ilovesooty Sun 23-Oct-11 21:23:02

Or maybe take some of the sweet stuff out and add another sandwich.

Popbiscuit Sun 23-Oct-11 21:25:06

My 6 year old is very active and slim and could easily go through that amount of food, squeaky. Don't forget they are not only burning it off, but growing too.
OP; I'd just make sure there are LOTS of sandwiches as those will properly fill him up. Maybe a hard boiled egg?

onefatcat Sun 23-Oct-11 21:29:20

Sounds plenty for a 6 year old- how about a yoghurt, salad eg cucumbers tomatoes, a cereal bar, cheese dipper, raisins etc.

With all that, he's hardly going to be starving, just peckish if anything- it's not really a disaster is it if you collect him and he's a bit hungry- it means he will eat a good tea in the evening, won't he?

squeakyfreakytoy Sun 23-Oct-11 21:31:04

He will have had breakfast, and will be eating dinner... so that amount for lunch is more than adequate.. growing or not!

worraliberty Sun 23-Oct-11 21:31:31

Yes but they only learn to 'easily' go through that amount of food if they're used to being over fed.

He's not going to die between breakfast and dinner and a bit of hunger isn't the devil's spawn grin

MayDayChild Sun 23-Oct-11 21:33:01

My 4 yr old DD ate 6 large roast spuds and 2 parsnips tonight with her roast lamb, broccoli and carrots. shock
She's been eating all day.
She is skinny as a rake!
Sometimes they are just hungry!

chicletteeth Sun 23-Oct-11 21:33:39

My 6 year old is as thin as a rake and he'd polish that off no problem
He wears 9-10 clothes, is whip thin and eats for England.
I'd lay off the crap through, two cakes and a penguin?
No need for all that in one meal at all.

chicletteeth Sun 23-Oct-11 21:35:49

Not true Worra.
I always end up going back to my DS time and time again with more and more food because what I give him doesn't fill him up.

For dinner yesterday he ate a decent sized portion of Korma (home-made) with rice. 10 breadstick and about a third of a pot of hummus. A muller corner. This was after a piece of cheese, some fruit and a few quavers after school.

He is always always hungry

Yama Sun 23-Oct-11 21:36:23

I usually include a Choob (cheaper version of a Frube). I freeze them so that by the time dd eats it, it has defrosted but is still nice and cold.

I realise this is no good for tomorrow but might be useful for the future.

By the way, I have two skinny children. One eats a normal amout, the other loads. Food is fuel. As long as it is burned off (and the food is not processed) then they won't be overfed.

worraliberty Sun 23-Oct-11 21:39:04

chicletteeth

If a child is being fed more than they need to eat from a very early age, they will need an extensive amount of food to stop them feeling hungry.

And it has nothing to do with being 'skinny or fat' imo....more to do with living in a society where kids are suddenly eating adult sized portions of meals.

And adults are eating double the portions they would have 20 years ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now