Advanced search

to ask if there is anything we can actually do about vile neighbours - getting me down a lot

(22 Posts)
sickofhideousneighbours Sun 23-Oct-11 13:41:46

We moved to a small estate a few months ago. It's generally nice apart from some utterly vile neighbours about four doors down.

We were warned about them by another neighbour when we moved in. He is a violent psycho who I have witnessed dragging his young son inside telling him he's going to get a fucking doing for some misdemeanour, swearing and shouting, not caring that our kids were walking past and that people were staring. He has started a fight with at least one neighbour and given him a black eye.

They are also filthy. The public pathway outside their house is basically an open bin - beer cans, crisp packets, crap everywhere, their back garden is overflowing with rubbish. Their back gate is covered in graffiti.They also use the car park outside our house as a skip and just chuck old toys and furniture there. It depresses me so much to take ds out in his pram and walk past that, it's also embarassing to have people round as they have to walk through it to get to our house. The problem is what can I actually do? If I contact the council can't they just deny it's them that's making the mess?

sickofhideousneighbours Sun 23-Oct-11 13:42:28

ps when I say He is a violent psycho I mean the neighbour!

RedRumElmosMum Sun 23-Oct-11 13:44:56

You should try reporting them to the counsel for having all the rubbish thrown around , I'm sure they would be investigated .

SuePurblybiltFromBitsofCorpses Sun 23-Oct-11 13:46:26

I moved because of people like this.

If I witnessed him dragging children about and threatening them, I'd be reporting it. If there was rubbish and the rest outside their house (mine used to open the door and throw their uneaten dinner out), I'd report it. Anti-social behaviour - guess what? grin. I'd report it.

If they rent via a Housing Association I'd also tell them.

SixtyFootDoll Sun 23-Oct-11 13:47:21

Speak to your local police officer.
If he is dragging his kid around , speak to social services.
Speak to the local council or housing dept.
If the house is council property they can enforce him to sort the place out.

aliceliddell Sun 23-Oct-11 13:48:48

Definitely contact the council. Also gert your local councillor on the case, they should help you. If no joy, go via the MP. Local politicians are meant to deal with exactly this type of issue. Good luck!

PandorasSocks Sun 23-Oct-11 13:51:37

Report everything!

I had a similar problem which was resolved by the council, the police and the antisocial behaviour unit. The family were eventually evicted.

Keep a diary, take photographs, report everything to the appropriate people eg rubbish dumping has to be reported to enviromental health, antisocial behaviour to the police/asb unit, abuse to the police/social services etc.

Do it! These horrendous people can and do make lives a misery.

theidsalright Sun 23-Oct-11 13:59:12

In a sort of similar situation, we moved.

Can you really deal with all the hassle and serious stress of complaining? Will they be the sort of neighbours who will harass you for complaining? In a similar situation in the past things escalated for us when we got old scrap cars reported/removed and phoned police about domestic incidents etc.

You have my sympathy. NOTHING worse than shit neighbours.

comedycentral Sun 23-Oct-11 14:06:08

Report him for the mess, report him for his parenting. Simple.

Good luck, I hope they clear up their act over there.

spiderpig8 Sun 23-Oct-11 14:15:46

Well it's all very well for posters to say ' report him', but they won't be on the receiving end of any reprisals.
Hopedfully he will be banged up before too long.

SuePurblybiltFromBitsofCorpses Sun 23-Oct-11 14:18:09

She doesn't have to pop round afterwards and helpfully tell him that she reported him. She can make any concerns about her safety the reason for remaining anonymous with the relevant agencies.

TheMonster Sun 23-Oct-11 14:21:25

Sounds awful.

lesstalkmoreaction Sun 23-Oct-11 14:23:14

Instead of reporting him try reporting the rubbish that is being dumped in the car park. Our council has an online form to fill in for reporting rubbish, street lights etc. and just keep doing it, the council will investigate it.
Is the house privately owned or housing association?

LineRunner Sun 23-Oct-11 14:39:01

I think you have to report all this, even if anonymously.

This family needs help, as well as a kick up the backside. They are in breach of their tenancy agreement if Council or HA (violence; nuisance to neighbours) and risk homelesness. The parenting sounds awful. Fly-tipping is illegal.

I would definitely also email your local councillors in confidence, and say that you would like action on this but wish to remain anonymous. (You may have up to three local ward councillors.) They have to respect this.

Sounds horrible. Good luck.

SootySweepandSue Sun 23-Oct-11 14:46:37

If you own your house beware as when you sell you may have to state if you made a complaint about neighbours. I bet these neighbours would not act on any recommendations from the council.

I've got a similar issue, but we weighed up the potential grief of complaining and decided it wasn't worth the risk. We're going to move once DD can understand what 'you f******g c***t' means as that's what their 5 yo sings when he's on the trampoline.

Sorry, not much help but you have got my sympathies.

spiderpig8 Sun 23-Oct-11 14:54:21

The first people they will suspect will be the new family.

sickofhideousneighbours Sun 23-Oct-11 15:05:07

Hi, thanks a lot for all the advice. There's another new family that moved in recently on the other side so hopefully they won't know for a fact it was us - I would be scared of him or the wife coming and banging on our door.Sorry if this is snobbish but she is the skankiest looking woman I have ever seen with no teeth and filthy clothes, you see her every morning dragging her kids to school at 9.15, late every day.

I will definitely report them to the council and our local councillors, and will call social services re parenting as when I saw him shouting at his son it was pretty clear the child was going to get a beating. They are awful and it's amazing how one family can make a whole street seem horrible, they are always hanging around outside smoking, it was worse in the summer.

WindingMeUp Sun 23-Oct-11 15:07:17

My dad has neighbours like this. I feel so sorry for him. They are nasty fuckers so how can he complain!? They will know it was him and I would (and I am sure my dad would) be in fear for his safety.

hairylights Sun 23-Oct-11 15:13:28

"who I have witnessed dragging his young son inside telling him he's going to get a fucking doing for some misdemeanour, swearing and shouting"

This hs to be the prime concern. If you haven't already, phone social services right now.

MrBloomsNursery Sun 23-Oct-11 15:21:35

Report to council.

ll31 Sun 23-Oct-11 17:03:48

think you have to report what else can you do

Shutupanddrive Sun 23-Oct-11 20:29:53

Definitely report to ss

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now