Talk

Advanced search

to wonder why the EU is funding this?

(11 Posts)
MoTeaVate Sat 22-Oct-11 20:47:26

I'm not a Tory, and I'm not campaigning from a withdrawal from Europe.

Tonight I was on a recipe site and an ad for this came up.

I find myself wondering why the Jeff EU taxpayers money is being spent advertising mushrooms?

AIBU?

RandomMess Sat 22-Oct-11 20:52:39

The EU are insane, with insane rules about what they will fund and how and on what proof.

There is no logic...

AgentZigzag Sat 22-Oct-11 20:53:59

Mushrooms are ace, you get a freaky lifeform at the same time as a tasty treat/poison smile

Wise EU spending in my eyes.

cookcleanerchaufferetc Sat 22-Oct-11 20:57:31

The EU has spent a lifetime of funding absolute crap ....

Andrewofgg Sat 22-Oct-11 21:00:29

Mushrooms aren't crap - they are the best food in the world apart from curry and the entire EU budget should be spent on promoting mushroom curry smile

troisgarcons Sat 22-Oct-11 21:01:12

How is it funded by the EU?

the site says:

This site is run by The Mushroom Bureau, which is responsible for the generic publicity of all fresh cultivated mushrooms sold in Britain. The Bureau is funded voluntarily by its members who are predominantly mushroom growers and trade alliances to the industry in the UK, Ireland and continental Europe.

Andrewofgg Sat 22-Oct-11 21:03:28

That's disappointing trois.

MoTeaVate Sat 22-Oct-11 21:04:14

troisgarcons Right at the bottom of the page it says "Campaign financed with aid from the European Union" next to the EU logo.

MoTeaVate Sat 22-Oct-11 21:06:19

press release here

It cost 2.6 million Euros shock, half of which is EU funding!

MoTeaVate Sat 22-Oct-11 21:07:39

Thatt's £1.1 million of EU taxpayers' money spent by the mushroom industry advertising fresh mushroons just in the UK. Bonkers.

AgentZigzag Sat 22-Oct-11 21:09:14

Well said Andrew smile

I'm going to email them to donate a large sum to the cause.

But only if they start putting a mushroom curry recipe on that page, just for you Andrew.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now