Talk

Advanced search

to be upset DH said I am no Angelina Jolie

(32 Posts)
babybarrister Sat 22-Oct-11 19:58:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsCampbellBlack Sat 22-Oct-11 19:59:24

But did he mean you are more of a Jessica Alba/Cameron Diaz . . .

barrysnotter Sat 22-Oct-11 19:59:59

You should be pleased. She's a trout imo.

DamselInDisarray Sat 22-Oct-11 20:00:08

My DH says that's a compliment as AJ is weird looking.

eslteacher Sat 22-Oct-11 20:01:54

It all depends on the context. More detail needed.

Cheeseandseveredfingersarnie Sat 22-Oct-11 20:04:15

agree depends on context.my twunt of a dh told me yesterday that im looking old and that he'd been comparing me to old photos and realised i wasnt aging wellhmm.twunt.thats upsetting.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Sat 22-Oct-11 20:05:28

Ouch. Better left unsaid, I think. Some husbands have no sense.

badoomtish Sat 22-Oct-11 20:08:55

I think a whole lot depends on context and your relationship. DH could say that to me without me taking the slightest offence. I don't just keep him so he can lavish me with compliments grin we sling mud too!

However, if he knows you are sensitive about this sort of thing/having a bad time with self-image or something, then no, YANBU.

SpringHeeledJack Sat 22-Oct-11 20:10:25

my mum told me at 16 that I was no Marilyn Monroe

I haven't spoken to her since wink

RebelFromTheWaistDown Sat 22-Oct-11 20:11:09

YANBU.

But Angelina Jolie isn't all that is she?

TheGhoulsAreJewelled Sat 22-Oct-11 20:11:31

Are you married to my ex dp?

fuzzynavel Sat 22-Oct-11 20:12:06

I'm convinced my DP has torrettes.

Bought a coat today, came home and tried it on. First thing he said was "Oh its extra large is it"

I wouldn't mind (well yes I would really) but I'm 5ft 6 and 11 stone.

F... ing pot bellied pig angry

yellowraincoat Sat 22-Oct-11 20:13:07

Does depend on context, but that would upset me.

niceguy2 Sat 22-Oct-11 20:14:10

Are you Angelina Jolie? Unless you are then what your DH said is factually correct. As is the fact he's not Brad Pitt either. grin

mynewpassion Sat 22-Oct-11 20:15:51

He said you are no Angelina Jolie and he's no Brad Pitt.

Equals out to me and wouldn't peeved me at all. If he said that he was like Brad and I was no Angelina, then I would be massively peeved.

Sidge Sat 22-Oct-11 20:17:43

Depends on the context really.

I am about a foot shorter and a stone heavier than AJ so if my DH said I was no Angelina based on physical resemblance he'd be spot on!

But if he was saying it in a derogatory way I'd be hurt. Ie if he found her hugely attractive and in saying I was no AJ he meant he didn't find me attractive.

Oh you know what I mean!

babybarrister Sat 22-Oct-11 20:20:15

squeakyfreakytoy Sat 22-Oct-11 20:22:38

It does depend on the context and how he implied it.

I could easily tell my husband he is no Hugh Jackman, and he would equally tell me that I am no Angelina... but it would be true... and there is no way in this world either of us would ever get to experience the reality of either celeb anyway...

Comments like that can be throwaway and not meant to be taken seriously, or they can be meant as a hurtful dig.. so it really does depend on the whole conversation and how it was meant.

badoomtish Sat 22-Oct-11 20:23:40

Honestly? I don't think this is a thing and unless he has done or said other things to make you feel unhappy then I wouldn't advise making it into a thing.

Not worthy of a "leave the bastard", sorry smile

fuzzynavel Sat 22-Oct-11 20:24:17

Oh and a bloke once said he couldnt believe how attractive I was despite having a big nose.

Looked down at his fly and said "thanks, I'm looking into getting that fixed, not sure if you can get that lenthened though".

GothAnneGeddes Sat 22-Oct-11 20:26:37

I've just shown this to DH. He said that AJ would just be a one night stand, whereas I'm for life. I said that I might like more then one night with Damon Salvatore, but that Dh is for the long term wink.

YABU, if he was joking, YANBU if he was being nasty.

babybarrister Sat 22-Oct-11 20:30:13

fuzzynavel Sat 22-Oct-11 20:33:09

Couldn't we all Babybarrister. What started out as a fun little AIBU turns into you having to defend your partner. They joys of mumsnet wink

babybarrister Sat 22-Oct-11 20:36:27

fuzzynavel Sat 22-Oct-11 21:01:09

Yes, quick, off you go to relationships you obviously have problems that you never knew you had [laugh]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now