Talk

Advanced search

To not be treated like crap when volunteering at poncey film fastival

(10 Posts)
slightlybonkers Sat 22-Oct-11 19:48:19

Saw ad seeking volunteers for a film festival that was going on a couple of streets away from me in an industrial space. Sounded interesting and got in contact via e-mail arranged to volunteer this afternoon and tomorrow. Grand, then an e-mail was sent at 23:58 (yes, I know) a couple a days ago about a meeting for volunteers the following morning. I missed e-mail and wouldn't have been able to attend the volunteer meeting. Anyhow, went along this afternoon to said industrial space to be shouted at by a load of hipster 20-somethings with geek chic glasses and assymetrical haircuts. I hadn't really researched the event very thoroughly and nobody really talked me through any of it. They were unfriendly and didn't seem to appreciate that I was volunteering my time to participate in a local event rather than break into the meeja (eh, no thanks on wanker-level in evidence today). There was a chronic lack of organisation and everybody was saying something different which would have been fine if they at least said hi, what's your name. Has really put me off volunteering for anything again. So AIBU?

Andrewofgg Sat 22-Oct-11 19:51:01

Media-skills and people-skills don't always go together, do they?

slightly my love...I think you summed up the whole thing beautifully with the word "poncey".

Don't be put off volunteering though, it can be fun and rewarding. Perhaps there is a wine merchant nearby, looking for volunteer tasters?

slightlybonkers Sat 22-Oct-11 20:05:14

the sending of e-mails at midnight should have put me off it. At one point I was standing by a wall checking tickets for about an hour while 3 / 4 hip types were sitting at the desk - never even made eye contact with me, let alone asked me my name, just barked that I wasn't checking the tickets properly ever so often.

OurPlanetNeptune Sat 22-Oct-11 20:09:31

You are a better person than I am. I would have told them to stuff the tickets up their jaxsy.

Ireneiswaiting Sat 22-Oct-11 20:14:19

I'm with Neptune on that one.

OchAyeTheNooPal Sat 22-Oct-11 20:17:16

Sounds really crap. I wouldn't bother going back tomorrow to be treated like that.

issey6cats Sat 22-Oct-11 20:22:13

i wouldnt have stayed if they had treated me like that would have told them to stick thier poncey film festival up thier arses, as a volunteer there would have been nothing to stop you walking out, i volunteer at a cat rescue center on a saturday and everyone is treated with respect and made to feel a valued member of the team, there are goodvolunteering oppurtunities out there you just have to find the right ones who do value you so no YANBU

yellowraincoat Sat 22-Oct-11 20:23:18

I wonder if they really were being poncey/snobby and not just self-absorbed/shy? I am really shy, but dress in such a way that I imagine marks me out as a ponce. If I already know people, I'm fine, and can chat away to them. If I don't, I can barely look them in the eye.

Maybe they were thinking the same thing about you? "Who's that uptight lady who's just standing there not getting involved or chatting with anyone? Why did she volunteer if she's not interested in doing stuff?"

Not intended to be harsh btw, just a different point of view.

slightlybonkers Sat 22-Oct-11 20:23:53

don't worry - am not going back!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now