Talk

Advanced search

in finding this really pathetic?

(20 Posts)
Fiendishlie Sat 22-Oct-11 15:44:44

A friend has told me that she looks forward to watching the X Factor on a Saturday evening but her MIL always ruins it by phoning whilst it is on and wanting to chat so she misses half an hour of it every week. I suggested that she ask her MIL to phone another time, which would be 'rude' apparently. Next I suggested that she not answer the phone, horrified looks as it turns out that not answering a ringing phone is impossible. my final suggestion was that she wait until she had had her nice chat with MIL and watch the show after. Apparently the sky plus box is 'dh's' and she doesn't know how to use it.
FFS

cardibachFalchoFodynGymraes Sat 22-Oct-11 15:45:51

YANBU
She is.

tiredemma Sat 22-Oct-11 15:45:52

You could try suggesting that she GET A LIFE.

borderslass Sat 22-Oct-11 15:46:51

She could watch it on plus one or unplug phone from wall sounds like she just likes to moan.

colken Sat 22-Oct-11 15:48:04

This happens to me. Someone - anyone - rings during Coronation Street, which I love, so I miss some. I would prefer to speak to someone than watch Coronation Street. There are repeats of it just as there are repeats of X Factor. If X Factor is so unmissable there is something missing from her life.

ddubsgirl Sat 22-Oct-11 15:49:17

cant be that hard to press the `pause` button on the remote lol

RebelFromTheWaistDown Sat 22-Oct-11 15:49:28

I would suggest she talks to MIL on the phone and watches X factor with the sound turned off and subtitles on?

mistressploppy Sat 22-Oct-11 15:51:15

The most pathetic thing is not using the Sky + box. It's not hard. She sounds like a bit of a drip, sorry

wicketkeeper Sat 22-Oct-11 15:52:12

I would suggest a new DH - but then, I'm fussy like that.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 22-Oct-11 15:54:34

YANBU and there is actually another option. If she calls MIL first at a time convenient to her, then MIL won't call during X-Factor later in the evening. If it works on my DM it'll work on anyone.

MoaninMinny Sat 22-Oct-11 15:54:36

x factor fans arent the brightest are they smile

PartyPooperz Sat 22-Oct-11 15:56:23

Grief - she's one of those. Loves moaning more than they love life itself. Any solution/easing of their 'problem' you can suggest will be denied/blocked/deemed impossible. YANBU - it is pathetic. Next time try a bright smile and a breezy tone and an "Oh well, we all have our crosses to bear don't we?" and change the subject.

Fiendishlie Sat 22-Oct-11 15:57:05

Oh I do like a bit of X Factor myself Minny, (well, Gary Barlow watching, obviously) and I can use the sky box, and the pause button. <proud>
I think ploppy is right she's a drip who just likes to moan.

cheekyseamonkey Sat 22-Oct-11 15:58:30

Drip alert! I USED to know someone who liked a moan but hated reasonable solutions. I thought she was pathetic but at least her moans had some substance! Mind you, she bothers to talk to her mil for half an hour?! Wow!

nickelbabe Sat 22-Oct-11 16:00:33

I say she's being pathetic not learning how to use the Sky plus box.
is she a remnant from the 1920s?

Fiendishlie Sat 22-Oct-11 16:06:29

Not sure, Nickel, she's pleasant enough, but really really thick. She has a degree in something arty from an ex-poly (probably controversial, whoops) but in every adult conversation she comes across as barely educated. Examples like 'who's gaddafi?' 'What is pasta made from?' and 'what's an ipad?' from this week alone.

Andrewofgg Sat 22-Oct-11 16:14:31

A friend has told me that she looks forward to watching the X Factor

That bit's pathetic.

As for Sky + Box and new DH: has she asked him to show her how to use it?

If not it's hardly his fault.

MrsStephenFry Sat 22-Oct-11 16:26:29

My seven year old can answer all of those questions. And use the sky plus.

Well, she has options. If she's not prepared to entertain them then she loses the right to moan and should shut the fuck up.

troisgarcons Sat 22-Oct-11 16:27:18

Your friend is V V V BU watching xfactor!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now