Talk

Advanced search

to send dn a plastic toy for her first birthday?

(13 Posts)
mousyfledermaus Sat 22-Oct-11 12:30:50

my sister thinks I am.
she is of the -only-pastel-coloured-natural-materials-fraction and incredibly pfb.
I found a lovely plastic shape sorter and my dsis basically went mental.
plan to repeat that for christmas <evil grin>

GuillotinedMaryLacey Sat 22-Oct-11 12:32:27

Bollocks. Wooden organic toys are what the parents like. Children like tat. Not saying your shape sorter is tat btw grin

mousyfledermaus Sat 22-Oct-11 12:34:56

no, it is a good quality toy, not even made in china.
have some lovely tactile wooden toys at home that the dc never play with...

SaffronCake Sat 22-Oct-11 12:43:18

Oh sure, deliberately upsetting people to get a reaction is the very mark of a well adjusted and reasonable person. hmm

PrimaBallerina Sat 22-Oct-11 12:44:11

I've bought my DN (4) a set of brightly coloured, almost day-glo, plastic unicorns with beaded manes and tails as part of her Christmas present. Because they are so awful I know she will absolutely adore them. Luckily my DSIL is not a knobhead and will not go mental.

YANBU!

GuillotinedMaryLacey Sat 22-Oct-11 12:45:19

hmm Okaaaaay SaffronCake..... <backs away>

FWIW mousy, the toys are for the benefit of the child not the parent so I can't see the point of buying something the children won't play with just to appease the mother. You might as well go straight out and buy the mother a present instead.

colken Sat 22-Oct-11 13:04:26

A one-year-old is very young so it doesn't really matter what you give him/her. I chose classic books like Alice in Wonderland or a Winnie the Pooh compendium for the future.

My grandchildren have so many toys that I never buy one for them.

Marymaryalittlecontrary Sat 22-Oct-11 13:09:41

Oooh, I'm planning to give my nephew a plastic shape sorter for his first birthday too! Although my SIL doesn't mind plastic toys. There are some things I wouldn't buy, but that's more because of my own views on them. When another nephew was coming up to one his mum said to me that if I wanted ideas of what to get him she'd like me to buy him a DVD. I personally don't think babies should be watching DVDs so I bought him a book instead!

Anyway, give it a couple more years and her house will be filled with plastic tat as he'll see things he wants in shops, on TV, at nursery, etc, and she'll realise that if she wants to get him something he actually wants as a present, the chances are it will be made of plastic! And I say that as someone who loves wooden toys but realises that there are some lovely plastic toys around too!

PedigreeChump Sat 22-Oct-11 13:10:05

You're SIL's behaviour is so rude and ungrateful.

My bro and SIL are a bit like this and I had to get 1 yr old DN an "advanced" wooden toy she's never looked at and they've never thanked me for. Not that I'm bitter grin

ZacharyQuack Sat 22-Oct-11 13:10:28

The christmas present should need batteries.

NearlyMrsCustardsHardHat Sat 22-Oct-11 13:11:40

I'm sure at that age mine were content with a saucepan and a wooden spoon not all this new aged organic schtuff.

Just sayin.

blackeyedsusan Sat 22-Oct-11 13:17:22

wooden toys are lovely, but not practical if you are planning to have another child. toddlers do lob things around a bit and a heavy wooden toy landing on your newborns delicate head is not something you desire. they also splinter when chewed by teething babies. you need something that can be dunked in washing up water easily too as some little blighter will have a leaky nappy all over it/poo on it/wee on it/vomit on it.

Rhubarbgarden Sat 22-Oct-11 13:26:41

My brother always buys dd the most hideous presents he can find, deliberately to try to wind me up. Actually I find it quite funny, and dd always loves them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now