Talk

Advanced search

to tell dd she can not wath TV?

(7 Posts)
soandsosmummy Sat 22-Oct-11 12:25:28

She's got piles of toys, a garden to run about in, plenty of art and craft stuff and loads of books. She's off to a friend's for a sleep over later and they'll be going to the cinema.

All she can say is "I'm bored I want to watch telly".

AIBU to keep saying no

WilsonFrickett Sat 22-Oct-11 12:27:22

YANBU. Obviously.

colken Sat 22-Oct-11 12:27:53

I would say, "NO." But why does she want to watch television. Is there something special? Or something her friends talk about?

froggydoo Sat 22-Oct-11 12:27:56

Nope - YANBU. My MIL says children have to learn to deal with boredom, key life skill. I agree.

Hardgoing Sat 22-Oct-11 12:28:42

Has she just finished school and is it half-term where you are? Mine are pretty knackered this am for this reason and we watched a movie together before heading out late morning. Is she usually asking to watch TV? If she's got activities planned, I would on the first day of a holiday.

I personally allow my children to watch TV when they like, but they usually do that when they are tired, need down-time or really like the programme. If they are not any of these things, they find the TV boring and wander off/play together.

My mum used to make me play outside because it was good for me. I just wanted to read. I don't think enforced playing is much fun although I wouldn't have the TV on all day.

SouthernandCross Sat 22-Oct-11 12:29:16

Would you consider compromising?
How about you tell her she can watch for a specified period of time and ask her when she wants to spend the telly-time? If you feel up for a challenge you can have a discussion about how long she thinks is reasonable.
You might be surprised what she comes up with.

SaffronCake Sat 22-Oct-11 12:32:52

YANBU at all. My friends mum once told him "you're not bored, you're boring". That solved it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now