Talk

Advanced search

to think this is an OTT reaction

(36 Posts)
AuntiePickleBottom Sat 22-Oct-11 00:59:04

in my DD nursery there is a new male worker.

the parents have discuss that it is 'not right'

aibu, to see no problem with this

Kayano Sat 22-Oct-11 01:00:50

I think they are well out of order and need a talking to angry

squeakyfreakytoy Sat 22-Oct-11 01:01:20

I dont see any problem with it. What exactly are the parents saying is "not right" about it?

AuntiePickleBottom Sat 22-Oct-11 01:03:12

changing nappies and changing children when they are wet after playing with water, paint ect.

FreudianSlipper Sat 22-Oct-11 01:03:52

what gossips

it gives them something to moan about why should it be a problem

notevenclose Sat 22-Oct-11 01:04:14

There are 3 male workers at my grandsons nursery and nobody blinks an eye, as well they shouldn't either.
Men get an unfair rub in the childcare industry and the majority of women get short shrift with low wages.
I', rambling smile

You're right to be vexed about this though OP.

Midori1999 Sat 22-Oct-11 01:06:43

Do none of the childrens' Dads change or look after them at home then?

They are over reacting and out of order and as someone whose son is considering childcare as a career, it makes me very sad.

AuntiePickleBottom Sat 22-Oct-11 01:11:49

god know why, i am happy thta my DD adores him and even thought she speaks very little she says his name.

he is fantastic

notevenclose Sat 22-Oct-11 01:12:18

The reluctance of some parents not to accept males in a caring environment may account for the lack of male primary school teachers too.
Do men feel uncomfortable in these types of roles now?

notevenclose Sat 22-Oct-11 01:16:14

www.telegraph.co.uk/education/primaryeducation/8734967/No-male-teachers-at-4500-primary-schools-figures-show.html

It's a recent link.

I would expect more primary teachers to be ladies but the %'s are alarming.

giyadas Sat 22-Oct-11 01:16:40

YANBU, give the other parents the withering looks they deserve. They'll get over it.

FrightNight Sat 22-Oct-11 01:16:48

It represents an opportunity for diversity. Tell the others to get over themselves. Stand up and be counted for positive change.

SacreLao Sat 22-Oct-11 01:36:10

Oh how ridiculous!

Men are no more likely to abuse children then women, I hate parents who have this 'every man is a paedophile attitude'

I for one would love to see more men in childcare!

ChippingInToThePumpkinLantern Sat 22-Oct-11 02:09:12

Little Teds Nursery - who was arrested? This gender bias has to stop, it is just so wrong sad

piprabbit Sat 22-Oct-11 02:15:59

Having male role models in nurseries and primary schools if beneficial to the children, the boys especially.

The nursery and children are lucky to have him - the parents who are bitching about it should be thanking him for choosing to care for their children.

frutilla Sat 22-Oct-11 02:24:48

YANBU. Me and my brother had a male nanny when I was about 8 during summer hols. My mum only recently asked me if he was ok!! Guess she had always worried. He was totally professional but it's just one of those fears in society....

ZonkedOut Sat 22-Oct-11 04:22:36

A friend of mine recently qualified as an infant / primary teacher, but couldn't get a job. He blamed the distrust that people have of men in that sort of position.

FellatioNelson Sat 22-Oct-11 04:28:50

It really doesn't matter whether or not people feel faintly uncomfortable with it, and whether or not they think they are justified. He is entitled to do the job of his choice, however unusual the choice, and they have no more right to complain about his gender than they do about his race. If they can't get to grips with it they must find another nursery.

FellatioNelson Sat 22-Oct-11 04:31:01

I disagree about the male primary school teacher not getting a job due to prejudice teacher though. Primary Schools are CRYING OUT for male teachers, as there is a serious lack of decent male role models for pre-school and primary boys. I imagine any interviewing body would see his maleness as a big plus point.

SlinkingOutsideInSocks Sat 22-Oct-11 06:17:42

The exact people who complain about this sort of thing are also the first ones to distance themselves uttery from feminism, due to all of them being blanket-man-haterz. They do not and cannot see the irony here at all.

Because of course, any man who comes with koo-ee of a nappy will lose the run of himself and turn into an abuser. hmm

camdancer Sat 22-Oct-11 07:06:03

You are very lucky to have a man working at the nursery. Men in Early Years are like gold dust.

breatheslowly Sat 22-Oct-11 07:23:05

YANBU. DD would love to have a male worker at nursery - she is a bit of a flirt at 13 months.

ScaredBear Sat 22-Oct-11 09:44:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PedigreeChump Sat 22-Oct-11 09:48:03

They are morons. I would give them an earful about gender equality and support the chap in question if they kick up any fuss.

duckdodgers Sat 22-Oct-11 09:50:46

I really wish I hadn't read this as it currently makes me feel even more hopeless about our situation. I work full time and DH has been a SAHD for at least 3 years with our boys who are nearly 4 and 9. He had been thinking about registering as a Childminder but was put off initially by thoughts similar to those expressed by these parents - however he took the bull with the horns and after many months of hard work and money he has got his registration.

He is so enthusiastic and has folders full of stuff he would like to do with the children, hes always talking about ideas and promoting his business, he has made his own website, he goes to local groups to get to know more Mums etc.......and so far only thing missing is children!

Im hoping this is temporary and is not a sign that he cant be trusted because hes a man. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now